ad: k1jek

Unable to create new logbook under same callsing.

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by VE3ITU, Mar 27, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3ITU

VE3ITU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

This could be limitation of the QRZ or I am doing something wrong. I have currently one logbook for my SSB contacts. I have no issue with that. Recently I started using digital mode FT8. I like to keep those contacts in a separate log book. I am unable to create a second log book under the same callsign. It do not allow me unless I have a new callsing.

Is there any workaround that I can keep my SSB contacts separate then FT8 contacts.

Thank you,
    Sohail VE3ITU.

2. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. VE3ITU

Hi K8VHL,
    Thank you for the link. What I understand that the limitations are the following to have multiple logbooks:

-One should have different callsign.
    -If needed multiple logbooks under one callsign, one should have different date range and it should not overlap.

My issue is that SSB and FT8 contacts obviously run side by side so I cannot have two different logbooks under one callsign because I cannot create a logbook with the start and end dates that do not overlap. Is there any other way? How about having /M which is basically mobile but I can use only for FT8?

Thank you,
    Sohail VE3ITU.

4. K8VHL

You understand it well and you've proposed an interesting solution.

5. VE3ITU

Hi K8VHI,

I gave a second thought about using /M and seems this will not work as I thought. If you look at the details about multiple logbook that you shared, there are few things that will kill my idea.

Under the section "How the Logbook Finds QSOs"

First, when the QRZ server stores a new QSO report, it searches the database for a possible match to confirm. Let's say that your call sign is XX1XX, and you had a QSO with YY1YY. You input the QSO with YY1YY, indicating today's date as 2023-02-01. The server will then proceed to look in its master database for the logbook that handles YY1YY during the date and time indicated in your report.

Having read above, if I enter my FT8 contacts under VE3ITU/M and other operator will enter the contact under VE3ITU, the server will NEVRER find the contact because I recorded the contact info under different callsign.

Under the section "Every Call Sign needs its own Logbook"

This is essential and yet often misunderstood. A call sign is defined as what you transmitted over the air. If, for example, you were operating portable and decided to add a /P to your call sign, that's a new call sign in the eyes of the logbook. The system will consider it a new call sign when you add anything to it, whether it be a slashed prefix or a suffix.

Having read above, I will not be using /M when doing FT8 contacts as I am not mobile. Hence adding the FT8 contact under VE3ITU/ M will never be verified.

Possible Solution.
    -My goal is to see my FT8 contacts separately.
    -I will add my FT8 contacts under existing log book VE3ITU. This will help to verify contacts with other operators.
    -I will create 2nd logbook with VE3ITU/M, load the same FT8 contacts. I keep all the FT8 contacts there without worrying about the confirmation but at least see how many contacts or countries I worked with FT8.

Sohail, VE3ITU.

6. VE3ITU

Hi K8VHI
    My possible solution did not worked. The reason, the process look inside the "ADI" file. It tried to match my contact information with /M as I am trying to upload the contacts under /M callsign and generate the following error reports.

System Messages:
    Error 1. Error on record: NY7H de VE3ITU on 2022-05-10 23:06:00. could not be imported into the specified book (). This can happen because the callsign doesnt match or the QSOs date/time is outside of the logbooks date range.

I think I need to upload my FT8 contacts in the logbook that has SSB contacts. Unless someone give me a new idea.

Sohail, VE3ITU.

7. K8VHL

You said, "Is there any workaround that I can keep my SSB contacts separate then FT8 contacts." There may be an easy solution, depending on your objectives. Please tell me why you wish to keep them separate and how you will then use the logbook(s). Is there anything beyond wishing to see the FT8 QSOs separately? Feel free to respond using Conversation or email, if you prefer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  8. VE3ITU

Hi,

The reason I want to keep the FT8 QSOs separate that it will give a clean view of :
    -Total number of QSOs and it is not mixed with SSB phone.
    -It will also give a nice and clean view the total countries I worked only on FT8 comparing with SSB

Thank you,
    Sohail VE3ITU.

9. K8VHL

I note there aren't any entries in your current QRZ logbook. Import around 150 mixed QSOs from your logging source, perhaps using a date range, and then establish an FT8 filter on the QRZ Logbook. Play around with it to see how everything works. You can always delete it and start over.

10. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Logbooks since the beginning, even paper ones, have been defined by a Callsign, location and name. Mode, date and time of QSO, band, frequency, etc are all elements you enter for each QSO. The proper way to do what YOU want to do is to use the <FILTER> function on what-ever electronic log you are using. Setting up a separate logbook for each mode, as you suggest, simply will not work easily the way we currently have electronic logbooks working.

You can do exactly what you want by properly setting up filters within ONE logbook. You can then even export those contacts matching the filter you want to play with that data till your heart's content.

I suggest you spend time learning to use the <FILTER> mode to get the results you desire. In the long run you will find that will be a much more acceptable solution to get the results you wish.

................Bob

KP4SX likes this.
  11. VE3ITU

Hi,
    Thak you for replying.

I had QSOs under VE3ITU log book. Yesterday I lost them. I opened Ticket# 771924 for that issue. What happened that I was experimenting creating a separate log book for FT8. I opened two browser tabs. In one browser I had my main log book under VE3ITU callsign and in other browser I opened to create a new log book. While copy/pasting the basic information from one logbook to another, I believe I accidentally deleted the date range from main VE3ITU log book. Then without realizing it, I exited from the edit mode of the VE3ITU log book. While decided temporarily keep my SSB phone QSOs and FT8 QSOs together until find a resolution, I tried to upload my FT8 QSOs and what I found not only it did not uploaded any QSOs from file, instead it removed my old QSOs. I found from the notice popped up on my screen that the process removed the 206 QSOs. So the logbook is empty.

I have a few QSOs under my special callsign that is not active anymore but lost everything from main logbook under VE3ITU callsign. For this reason I opened Ticket# 771924.

Using the filter option is good alternate and I will explore it. Currently got stuck with lost log book issue.

12. VE3ITU

Thank you Bob for the suggestion. I will explore it.

Sohail ve3itu.

13. K8VHL

Sorry to hear that. Good luck. I hope you have a backup or perhaps they can be recovered from LoTW.