ad: Schulman-1

Ultimate Arrow Antenna Modifications

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB1HQS, Jan 26, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB1HQS

KB1HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

In my quest to reduce pack and radio weight, I have been slowly modifying my Arrow antenna over the years.
    Having operated in nearly every type of summit weather I came to the conclusion I needed my antenna to have the following characteristics:
    -Compact and easily packed into a backpack
    -Lightweight but still durable
    -Reliable and simple to operate regardless of the weather
    -No tools required to assemble/disassemble ​

This video covers my recent modifications including CF boom and elastic corded elements giving me weight loss and simplicity to my VHF antenna system. My DIY Guide: https://kb1hqs.com/2022/12/20/arrow-a...
    Stuart, KB1HQS

W6PUG, WI8X, N8QYA and 10 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm...

Is there a NEED for a smaller form factor on a 2 band hand held Yagi?

M1WML and AK5B like this.
  3. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the NEED there is one could choose Moxon. While Moxon is one of the smallest directional antenna it still broadband so no need to tune every time and has great, impossible for small Yagis, F/B that is fine too. Needless to say 2m Moxon can be mechanically combined with electrically apart 70cm antenna (Moxon, Yagi, whatever) on the same boom as easy as Yagi.
    Just my two cents.

WQ1C, KC5YSQ and M1WML like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Moxon antennas are two element Yagis with bent back tips. This antenna is a two band Yagi with much higher gain than that.

My point is that there are certainly paths to a smaller hand held (higher gain)Yagi --but is there a need to do so? I was asking...not being sarcastic:)

BH8QEF, UT7UX and M1WML like this.
  5. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Stuart, I have always admired the simplicity of your vhf activations. Now 215 or so points into SOTA, I am still hauling up my 891!

The Arrow as it stands, although a fabulous device, is just too cumbersome for hiking. I wish they would make a KB1HQS version. I am in no mood to make one, but I'd purchase one in a heartbeat!

Hope to catch you on the air! Maybe someday even a vhf s2s.

Mindy

NG9F, M1WML and KB1HQS like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The mechanical issues--weight -- are a band aid for the issue of an improved Yagi electrically--which is smaller. Certainly some of the torque is reduced by this (fairly moderate) re-work of this Yagi, but again, the bigger question is: is there a need for a smaller hand held Yagi?

I am often puzzled why we look at antennas as mechanical devices first, and electrical ones second...

If there is a --need-- you will see an option for a smaller Yagi type antenna for sats. Again, appreciate comments on the basis of need. How many would use: 6? 600? 60,000? Are people fine with what they already have?

Innovation is often driven by need of an individual, but (when adopted) adopted by need of a large group. Do we need innovation on these sat antennas?

Chip W1YW

M1WML likes this.
  7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't get what you were implying until your third post. :)
    Is there a need? For me there would be. I have the 3-element 2m Arrow antenna and barely use it because it's cumbersome. Weight and physical size are also problems, but it's just such a PITA to use on a summit unless there's lots of open space. *I* would welcome one that is physically smaller, but I doubt there's enough demand.

I don't use my for Sats, it is strictly for SOTA.

Chris

NG9F and M1WML like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Chris--

I came up with a design many years ago and shelved it: start up manu costs were too high for the likely(small) base.

Should be a good summer project to resurrect, perhaps as a magazine article.

Didnt occur to me this was a good SOTA antenna.... I presume mostly for 2M, not 440....?

Chip W1YW

M1WML and KI4POT like this.
  9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

2m is the more useful band for SOTA. There's some 70cm activity, but not much (I called CQ SOTA on 70cm for a while yesterday and got nothing after getting several contacts in a matter of minutes on 2m).

Chris

M1WML and W1YW like this.
  10. KM1NDY

Chip:
    There is a need. How many of us is up in the air.
    Hiking with an Arrow-size yagi, even the split beam is cumbersome. But it is quite effective for hill-topping purposes. Your market would be anyone who hikes up hills with a VHF antenna (so mostly the SOTA crowd). In New England, this is less than 200 people. 2M is ideal, though having the option of 70cm would attract the satellite types.

The other market is the prepper-type, or the safety-inclined outdoor enthusiast. The gain of a handheld yagi is obviously so much better than a rubber ducky, that it would be a really good safety tool for hiking, skiing, outdooring. As an easy modification to the handheld that many people carry. But only IF it came in the right package (i.e. small, compact, lightweight) and was super simple to deploy. This may be a much more general audience for this type of product than just SOTA participants.

You will find that most outdoor gear types are very concerned with mechanical aspects of their gear. Weight and compact size are the drivers of what we are willing to pay money for. Easy, reliable deployment is essential.

Mindy

NL7W, KA0USE, NG9F and 2 others like this.
  11. KM1NDY

Oh, and KB1HQS could be your ultimate beta-tester on this product!
    ;)

M1WML likes this.
  12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip,

IMO there are several other applications where a smaller-better V/U directional antenna may be in demand,

SAT - dual band, perhaps best if circular polarized, or with other pattern modifications.

SOTA - but not just on top of summits, also while /PM (pedestrian mobile) in motion

RFI foot search - increasingly in demand, small & directionality even more desirable than gain

FOX hunting competition - same as above

SAR - back country search & rescue; a past Zed discussion pointed out participants could benefit from a more convienient gain solution

ARES - the EMCOM folks here in FL seem to be increasingly moving away from only using vulnerable repeater infrastructure ironically discovering SIMPLEX and holding nets to practice this operation. The first thing they realize is a rubber-duckie or hung ladder-line J-pole just doesn't cut it.

As a master of innovative "max gain - min envelope" antennas your design input would be most helpful. :)

73, John, WØPV

G3SEA, M1WML, K6CLS and 1 other person like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Mindy,

In the hand held (handle) version, the torque gets to be a problem (tired arm) for sats; hence need for smaller. On a tripod version (SOTA), I now see the issue is clearly weight and (stowed)length. So I see your point about the mechanicals:)

A 2m version for SOTA ... roger that. Think it would probably helpful just to print that out (article) rather than manu it. Have to see if that would put patents into public domain (which wouldn't work): there are certainly ways to enable classes of users without forcing to pay royalties.

OK, a summer project:)

BTW hope you are weathering storm. I escaped Belmont and fled to Franconia area. Weird to go NORTH to escape SNOW.

Chip W1YW

M1WML and KM1NDY like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahh...

OK. I hadn't seen the growth of ARES and Techs when I worked on this 11 years ago. Will thus re-consider.

Chip W1YW

M1WML likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure!

M1WML likes this.