ad: Radclub22-1

Tool Batteries For Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Jul 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would add "with a quality battery charger" to that advice. Using a "dumb" charger to top off a battery overnight can overcharge it and cause damage. A "smart" charger will know when to turn itself off. It's not like the "smart" chargers are all that more expensive, I was able to "resurrect" a battery with a Deltran BatteryTender when a lesser charger considered it damaged. Saving that one battery paid for the BatteryTender. That's not some kind of paid endorsement, I just really like BatteryTenders.

K8XG likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never had a problem using built in chargers that come with jumpstart packs...over 20 years of use. :)

3. AC0GT

Then you've had better luck than me. In the last 20 years I've tossed quite a few battery trickle chargers, which apparently includes the one that came with that PowerDome. I did a quick look in my usual storage spots for such things and I can't find it. I likely tossed it over a decade ago. I use one of my BatteryTenders, or the Sears "smart" charger I got a long time ago, for periodic charging of my SLA batteries. I have a larger 30 amp Sears charger for automotive batteries.

I had a "dumb" charger that came with a set of Black and Decker tools I got for Christmas from my parents one year. That didn't last long as it was quite fragile. Black and Decker made a smart charger for those tools and that lasted longer than the batteries. They are NiMH batteries, and they are sitting in a pile with the tool set waiting to be taken to the recycling center. Replacement batteries would cost more than new tools and I'm not seeing any adapters for Li-ion batteries like I found for my DeWalt tools. The battery in the video looks like it might be a third party DeWalt style battery. Did anyone else think the same?

4. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand the intent of the project is to make readily available batteries in your shop/garage useful to radio portable operations. But really, you're so much better off just buying a model airplane battery (Lipo 3s) and using it directly into the radio. They're so much smaller and lighter and cheaper than a power tool battery. Just be sure you have a charger appropriate for Lipo batteries.

5. KC2YMO

KC2YMO Ham Member QRZ Page

This particular model is buck only "not boost". Very simple adjustable pair of voltage regulators. No high speed switching boosts/ charge pumps involved = no noise.

6. AC0GT

The intent, as I understand it, was to maximize the utility of batteries that one already owns for their tools. In this case the guy bought a new battery to prove the concept, and quite likely to protect his current investment in tool batteries in case something went wrong. I'd do the same. I'd much rather burn up a $20 Brand X battery in this experiment than a $40 brand name battery that I need to keep my tools running. If it works then he can use all his tool batteries on the adapter with confidence it won't damage anything. If it doesn't then drop off the cheap and burned out battery at a recycling center and try again some other way. Or not.

Running USB or 120 VAC items off tool batteries is something that many tool makers offer in off the shelf products. Getting 12 VDC out, and not losing half of the energy in a combo of inverter and power supply, is a challenge. Getting USB power with the 12VDC power was just a nice bonus from having a dual output ready made board for this experiment.

So, yes, it would be more logical to buy 12 volt batteries if the goal is power for portable radio operations. The goal is, again if I understand correctly, to have the option of using the same batteries for one's power tools and for their electronics. I guess this could also be done by getting 12 volt power tools but 12 volt power tools are not as common (at least not today vs. years ago) and not as powerful (and I'd guess these two things are related) as 20 volt tools. 14.4 volt tools were once relatively common, and likely suitable for powering many "12 volt" pieces of equipment, but not all that common now.

An example of 20 volt tool battery to USB adapter: https://www.dewalt.com/products/acc.../batteries/12v20v-max-usb-power-source/dcb090

An example of a 20 volt tool battery to 120 VAC inverter: https://www.dewalt.com/products/sto...ion-and-simultaneous-battery-charger/dcb1800b

I can't find a 20 volt tool battery to 12 VDC adapter.

7. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For the price of a replacement Dewalt battery pack you can most certainly buy a higher capacity battery that is more suitable for the application. If you are using off brand Harbor Freight type products this may not be the case for the initial purchase but, it probably won’t last as long.

In an emergency situation having the capability of running your rig off any ole battery that you might find in the garage could have it advantages.

8. EA3IGB

EA3IGB Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sheesh. Someone comes up with a novel way to power field stations and everyone comes out of the woodwork to tell him how he's wrong.

Hams in the 1900s: Let's see if I can use what's on hand to build and power a station
    Hams in the 2000s: Don't do that, it's too risky, go buy something purpose-made instead.

FWIW, I took a look at the two 12v batteries used by my Drill/driver set and they seem to be purpose-made for 1/4" spade connectors. :D
    Nice to know in the event that run out of battery power. I should make a pigtail to have on hand "just in case". I wouldn't have thought to look there until this video.

Chris

KI5AIU, AC0GT, KD2FWQ and 1 other person like this.
  10. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for that. In fairness, I took the comments above as constructive criticism. As I mentioned in the video, this is just a work in progress and there are plenty of upgrade to come.

Thanks for watching.

K8XG likes this.
  11. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

dittos, gonna check my 19v sears stuff,1/4 in...

12. WA3UYI

WA3UYI Ham Member QRZ Page

13. WA3UYI

WA3UYI Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a Battery Tender for my generator in the garage. It took out the whole 80 meter band. I finally just used a power supply set to 13.8 v. float. I have a Black and Decker charger on my bike that is quiet and does the job also.

KG7HVR likes this.
  14. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree cool idea, but no way would I chance blowing apart a $1K radio over a cheap $20 chinese 20V battery input voltage is key

15. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Harbor freight batteries aren't cheap enough. If they were half the price maybe. None the less cool ,but not practical for portable. I set up almost daily for a few mins to an hr . I have to keep it simple. We take the kids and go somewhere outdoors and i post up my my mp1 super antenna in 5 mins or less. Hook up ft818 and go. Or hook up g90 and 8ah sla and go. When the sla finally dies i will get a lifepo4 the cost isnt bad and its designed for the intended purpose.
    $64 plus $29 for the charger
    You can buy a bioenno from hro for that! Screenshot_20200704-143347_Opera.jpg