ad: Sussex-1

Tool Batteries For Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Jul 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

If that's your thoughts on this proof of concept demonstration then you are taking this proof of concept far too literally.

It's a demonstration of what is possible, and the viewer is expected to consider variations on the theme. You don't have to buy a cheap Chinese battery, get a quality battery instead. Don't buy a battery specifically for this project, if you have 20 volt power tools then here's an idea on how to run 12 volt and 5 volt electronics from those tool batteries. You don't have to run your kilobuck radio from this, power an old HT that you can't find a proper replacement battery for instead. If the risk of an over voltage condition concerns you then add in a voltage regulator of some kind between the buck circuit and your precious radio.

If what @KG7HVR shows is representative of prices for the batteries and charger used in the video then he paid about $100 for them. So, that might not be a wise purchase unless it's part of a larger purchase for some tools that can run on those batteries. There's much easier ways to get a portable power pack for one's radios then what was demonstrated. This is why it's not something to take too literally. It's a cool project, but only practical under certain conditions. If those conditions do not apply to you then soak in whatever valuable information you can from the demonstration, which may be nothing, and leave it at that.

W9WQA likes this.
  2. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

OMG everyone has to critic everyones comment to prove WHAT

add a voltage regulator to increase the cost of what would be the correct battery in the first place, this is not the theme he had intended

this is why I will no avoid QRZ forum discussions at all costs from here on out QRT

W9WQA likes this.
  3. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I know he was just doing it to show it can be done. Hes using a elecraft . Not me. I use a xiegu g90. Lol i cant afford that fancy rich ham operator stuff. Nor would i hook it to a hobo freight anything.
    To the other people complaining. Its qrz, we are practical real world people. The world isnt any nicer outside. We cant let everything bother us so much. I dont think Eric cares. Hes just having fun.
    Soooo.
    Its cheaper to buy a lifepo4 battery.
    On a side note ive bought used car seats at junkyards a few times or power window motors and have used my impact driver battery to move the seat to make sure it works and to gain access to the rear seat bolts. Ryobi or ridgid are miles ahead of harbor freight at about the same cost now days. I love my green ryobi junk !

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    AD5HR likes this.
  4. N2WXN

N2WXN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the same idea, I implemented on a Screw Antenna but in the motor ,the motor I used was from a car seat ,using the car battery and work for a while
    the way I use it was inside on a van ,but I don't have it any more, so I change over to drill battery an using the motor of the same, and using the trigger switch
    and it should work ,but the problem is that ,I'm burning the switch,I 'm using the complete harness ( switch ) from the drill so it docent happen but it is
    what is I'm over looking . Please I need Help and any tips will be appreciated ,thanking you all in advance. 73 n2wxn Edward Vargas

5. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I built this little gem to use for field day with my 40V Ryobi batteries:

[​IMG]

I gutted a charger and installed one of those 30A 13.8V DC-DC bricks that Amazon sells. It works great.

KI5AIU and AC0GT like this.
  6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

nice to know in a pinch there is yet another way to play radio...

7. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

This gives me an idea.

I have four Dewalt NiCd battery chargers but only three 7.2 volt NiCd batteries left since DeWalt switched to Li-ion. I bought the 18 volt NiCd to 20 volt Li-ion adapter kits for my 18 volt tools after my 18 volt batteries started to die. I still have a working 7.2 volt NiCd screwdriver so I can't part with all the chargers, but I can gut one or two without feeling bad about it.

One idea I'd consider is doing much like this and put a 20 to 12 volt converter in the case with a PowerPole out the back where the AC plug is now. I could then put a 20 volt battery in an 18 volt adapter (as far as I can tell it doesn't do any voltage conversion, it just makes the 20 volt square peg fit in the 18 volt round hole) and drop the battery and adapter in the "charger".

Another idea is to find a proper 7.2 volt to USB charger output converter, then carefully cut some holes in the front for the USB ports so I can run USB devices from my 7.2 volt batteries. Of course I can pair this up with the idea of a PowerPole output out the back with 20 volt batteries.

8. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose it is ok if you have a 3- D printer doing nothing else. Nice job all the same. In the mean time I will stick with my Good spare 12 volt 36 AHC Gell Cell battery Ex. my Mob Scooter .It happyly charges up to 14+ volts. Not like the one that got kicked out and was repaced with a pair of 55 AHC Bty's. 73 de John - GØWXU .

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tool batteries can be very good for many uses.

But most tool battery chargers spit out RFI all over the place. Even at idle.