ad: M2Ant-1

The Solar Eclipse and the RF-Seismograph in the ARRL Newsletter

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Apr 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Hi Everybody;

The ARRL just released a article about the solar eclipse and the RF-Seismograph. Also included my study on how to best work the solar eclipse from Canada.

Canada May be the Best Place for Hams to Experience the Solar Eclipse (6th paragraph down)

Here is the link:
    http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter?issue=2017-04-20

For more info on the solar experiment, the RF-Seismograph and MDSR system on our website:
    http://users.skynet.be/myspace/mdsr/

This is going to be a very interesting day and we need everyone to participate in our solar eclipse experiment....

All the best;

Alex - VE7DXW
    ftp://www3.telus.net/public_html/MDSR/solarPath.jpg

K0PIR, K5YVY, WF9Q and 1 other person like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Have fun Alex!

This is probably the last one I will get to see, so I will be chasing the shadow...visually:)

Chip W1YW

VE7DXW likes this.
  3. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chip;

Thank you for your encouraging message!

When you use the RF-Seismograph the program does all the work and you can go outside and watch celestial ballet!

After the eclipse you send us the data for later analysis...

Alex

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a good point. I may take a kx3 along, so that is indeed a possibility.

My plan is to drive from the family farm in KY to eclipse max in TN. If forecast cloudy, I will take a drive or fly to catch that shadow;-)

In July 1972, I did an eclipse prop measurement on WWV and saw some interesting effects. This took me to the MA state science fair and got me a job at Harvard during that summer. So I obviously relate to your cool experiment!

Again, best, and ad astra!

Chip W1YW

VE7DXW, K6CLS and WF9Q like this.
  5. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

2017 Solar Eclipse HF SSB frequencies:

7296.0 kHz
    5371.5 kHz Primary
    3996.0 kHz Secondary
    1996.0 kHz

VE7DXW likes this.
  6. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Revelation 12 sign 33 days later in September 22/23

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you aware that the 'Zodiac' constellations are a contrivance of each culture? Native Americans connect different dots and have different constellations, for example. Other cultures even have different astrologies!

The New and Old Testaments make no presumptions about referring to a pagan Zodiacal assignment by Ancient Greeks...so how can prophesies apply when imposed on a post-adopted constellation merry go round (the boundaries for the Zodiacal constellations are not the same now as thousands of years ago--people re-defined them-- yet so-called astrologers ignore this fact)? IOW, compared to ancient times, 'Virgo' lost her head. Or gained one.

You are imposing belief on fabrication. It is a disservice to millions of Christians for you to force this contrivance, which does not occur in the Bible.

Uhhh...Virgo giving birth to Jupiter? 'Almost' aligned? Who should we blame for this Jovian nativity--Orion??

If Virgo gives birth to Jupiter, shouldn't she be renamed? Or at least shamed?

ON THAT DAY--The Goard becomes alive through the Knights Nee and Niki Niki. And witches weigh in as ducks! Follow the Gourd!

Don't mix astrology with religion.

So glad you brought this to our attention on Science Day!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    KD8ZMN, AD4AA and AG5DB like this.
  8. W0IW

It's a free country believe what you need to believe so you can sleep blissfully unaware of anything other than your own mortal existence

9. N9BMV

N9BMV Ham Member QRZ Page

furthermore.. dont mix ham radio with religion... keep that banter to shortwave stations.. hihi... 73's de N9BMV

VE7DXW and K0PIR like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

But this has nothing to do with ham radio, NOR religion, and especially NOT the OP.

It is a convenient contrivance of pseudo-science. NOT religion. NOT science.

I am well aware of Maimomedes 13 Principles. Lecture elsewhere.

And enjoy the eclipse!

AD4AA likes this.
  11. W0IW

For someone so sure of rules and regs I had no idea eclipses were so ham radio oriented I guess you
    Are easily distracted
    By events that happen every 100 years and have no real importance to day to day ham radio use ...!!!

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. I am easily distracted. This is all about me. Yes. I am ignoring my immortal fate. Yes. I am one bad dude.

Now go lecture on another thread. Pseudo science has nothing to do with religion and eclipses--save for the fact that someone contrived it to seem that way.

The Eclipse is not the 5th Bowl. Its a shadow caused by scattering on a celestial scale. There is always a shadow from the Moon. On rare occasions it is the right size and orientation to block the Sun on a very temporary basis, on selected terrestrial locations.

Lucky us!

If you have something to say about ham radio and the eclipse--tell us your plans, OM.

Enjoy Science Day!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  13. KG5ILR

KG5ILR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well once again a thread that started out to be pretty interesting went downhill quick.

WU8Y and W9AFB like this.
  14. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

hi, I am a native north american, californian really. my dad was not a great astronomer, but he told me, see those two stars next to each other? that's our family, the Sojourner Constellation. everywhere I look I can find it in the sky.

(smiles for the humor-impaired!)

W1YW likes this.
  15. W0IW

I will be waiting for that day for sure the last one which occurred around noon back in the early 90's I remember coming home from lunch calling cq on 20m as the day tuned to night and colored everything in a bath of kinda red light all kinds of things heavenly things happening in 2017 the year of the trumpets 5777
    Very interesting timing of events ..!!!

Attached Files: