ad: elecraft

The Solar Eclipse and the RF-Seismograph in the ARRL Newsletter

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Apr 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0HAY

K0HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Be sure to get out and enjoy this one.

There is no 5th trumpet attached to it.

Chip W1YW

AD4AA, VE7DXW and W0IW like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I like your constellation. Better than a constellation of harps or swans, or bees, for example;-)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

How about "Don't mix personal beliefs with science"?

It's a bit like the 2012 "end of the world" silliness, which has been conveniently forgotten (except in a bad movie). But there is nothing new with any of this, signs and portents and apocalyptic destruction have been announced in many cultures for millennia. I well remember in 1963 somebody in India predicted the end of the world and millions of people came out and prayed. When the world did not end he explained that the prayers worked!

VE7DXW likes this.
  5. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

"furthermore.. dont mix ham radio with religion... keep that banter to shortwave stations.. hihi... 73's de N9BMV"

Uh, it's faith, Clem. And you don't get to determine where, when or why it is shared. Get over yourself and spin the dial ... or buy a scanner and bookmark "radioreference"

VE7DXW and W0IW like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that, deep in our reptilian brain, we are just scared of shadows:)

W6FYK likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No, religion is not the issue here. No one is questioning belief.

Astrology is not a religion. It is nonsense. Should folks be allowed to promulgate pseudo-science like that? Sure! But be sure that it is countered by fact. Be sure the science--the exciting revelation of the world of nature--gets through.

It is sad when astrology latches onto religion as a defense and basis for its nonsense. Here, its being used to allegedly portend the apocalypse.

Its just a darn shadow. Its fun to look at . Its fun to remind us of our humble nature in a very big universe. Its fun to have the invitation to look up once in a while.

Take it and enjoy it.

Chip W1YW

W0PV likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its funny you mention that 1963 fraud of 'end of the world'. I actually remember that--vividly. I was in 3rd grade, and there was a weird vibe among many kids on the imminent end of days. But getting our info from adults, the message got across but the messenger did not. Most of these kids came from religious families and I wonder if the silliness would have taken route with them if they realized it had its origins in India, and in a different religion!

9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...then there was this one--fortunately not ham communicated. They used telepathy apparently:
    [​IMG]

Bottom line is the eclipse is to be enjoyed and not feared.

It portends nothing.

Getting involved in eclipse propagation experiments is ham radio at its best.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  11. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I was in junior high. Got up in the middle of the night in New York City when it was supposed to happen, looked out the window, saw nothing strange and went back to bed. For a 19th Century American version look up the Wikipedia article, "The Great Disappointment." On the other hand, Arthur C. Clarke's, "The Nine Billion Names of God" has a somewhat different take on the subject!

W0PV and W1YW like this.
  12. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I live in one of the best places to view the total solar eclipse (Baker City Oregon) There is a belt running across our state into Idaho that is being promoted as offering the best views of this event anywhere in the CONUS. Much of the area in Oregon where viewing will be excellent is low population-rural. They are marketing the heck out of this and predict that in one small county with a total resident population of only 1300 there may be as many as 50,000 visitors over a 3-4 day period including Aug 21st, the day of the eclipse. Our county (resident population of 16,000) may get upwards of 100,000 visitors. Every hotel, motel and camp ground in central and eastern Oregon is sold out from 8/18 through 8/22.

This has a great potential to turn to crap fast. Sure it will be a short term economic boon but the infrastructure here (particularly emergency services) could easily be overwhelmed. Some of these rural areas where they predict 50-100K visitors are at least 50 miles from the closest medical response. In addition we had a very heavy winter which means by late August the potential for a severe wild fire season due to very thick ground cover which by then will be tinder dry. People camping in such areas could easily cause a major and deadly fire.

13. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

The visitor density along the Oregon I-5 and I-84 corridors may be twice what was previously predicted.
    There will be many visitors who can't find lodging or food; they will simply park on the side of the road, throw a blanket down, and party.

Think Woodstock.
    [​IMG]

The streets in the town of Baker City (especially Campbell and Main) will be gridlocked with traffic.
    The cellular infrastructure will be totally overwhelmed.
    So, don't worry about slow medical response, because nobody will be able to call them by cell phone at all.

Look on the bright side: there is still time for your community to plan for it.
    You should request that Oregon state put in a temporary Incident Command Center in Baker County, along with a special helicopter medical response team.
    They will need to put another one in the vicinity of Salem.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    W6FYK likes this.
  14. N8GIR

N8GIR Ham Member QRZ Page

My Wyoming Hunting ranch, 30 miles west of Casper, Wyoming is located near dead center of the eclipse path at an elevation of 5860 ft. I intend to be there on the 21st of August with two 100 watt HF transceivers and HF antennas on several Ham Bands. Any research group wishing to do study may contact me to request that I transmit on any specific ham bands for study.
    Nicholas G. Nicholas
    N8GIR

VE7DXW likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I take your comments here seriously. Thank you for your service to the community, and maybe hams can help with this one, too. Can ARES be activated to assist in comms?

Chip W1YW