ad: Radclub22-1

The Radio Better Than a Baofeng

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Apr 8, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB8SKK

KB8SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't think anyone has out run one as well.

AC0GT and KQ1V like this.
  2. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

must display text name of repeater AND frequency for me to think about adding it to the collection.
    BTECH did this nicely

3. K5JKR

K5JKR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I bought one to try as it could have fit my needs working at a local airport of monitoring the airport and local ham radio especially during storms. And I would not complain much if it was damaged in doing my work. Surprisingly it does not beat a Baofeng on transmitting ability. The local repeaters could barely hear it if at all and every one of them has no trouble with the Baofeng's I have, even switching to the Nagoya antenna for the test. This radio will not suite my needs.

Sure wish someone had a radio that would work on both aviation and on ham radio 2 meter and 70cm for communication as well scan the programmed frequencies.

4. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Guest

I combat this with my experience with the Baofeng GT-5R. Receives the same on the amateur bands as my Yeasu FT5DR. Nothing wrong with the FCC version of the UV 5R. Less handy tricks than on the FT5DR of course, but that is a choice to agree to when purchasing. I write this with Yeasu and Hilberling experience.

5. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Guest

Testing with the FCC version of the UV 5R was a more honest comparison. Baofeng GT 5R, try it ...

6. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

hi yo all... it's a bad china radio like the baofeng UV-5R or is good ? the receiver in rx on 50 to 138 Mhz have a good sensibility or poor ?

tnx 73

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Near as I can tell, There are 3 Versions of that radio.

The Transmit range is different.

Can that range be changed using factory software like a Baofeng can ?

Will it work on GMRS ?

IW2BSF likes this.
  8. IW2BSF

some infos about this NEW china low cost radio :

Models UV-K5 , K5( 8 ) , K6 and the new UV-5R PLus are the same radio , same HW and FW change only the external plastic cover !

Except the "new" UV-5R + that not have the usc C plug but the receviver rx is better !

The AM receiver is not so clear , the internal chip is only in FM ! hi hi

Yes is certificate FCC for FRS and GMRS Bands .

The are some GROUPs to modded this radio on Facebook and Telegram and web site with many FW "modded" ....

some interest on this little china handy !

Firmware : uv_5r_rssi_sbar_encoded_v66_v4.00.01_MODDED.bin

Recieve with Signal Genarator professional :

27 MHz -110 dBm
    50 MHz -118dBm
    70 MHz -123 dBm
    145 MHz -126 dBm
    435 MHz -129 dBm
    800 MHz -105 dBm
    950 MHz -100 dBm

Transmite on power meter.

27 MHz 2 Watt
    50 MHz 3 Watt
    70 MHz 4.2 Watt
    145 MHz 3.6 Watt
    435 MHz 3.6 Watt
    555 MHz 0.8 Watt
    Above 555 MHz nothing on the meter !

Receiving with modded FW at 17 Mhz to 1,5 Ghz ..... both AM or FM mode !

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

in this photo the K6 model and the K5 model , the same radio ! :)

xxxx.jpg

9. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice description.

10. VA7EKA

VA7EKA Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one recently because it was like $20 CAD and seemed like a good "toss in the backpack and don't care about too much" radio. The speaker works only intermittently, I have to push on the case to get it to work. The seller has supposedly asked the manufacturer for instructions on how to open the radio but I haven't yet heard back (yes, I can just "figure it out" but figured I'd like official instructions if I have to fix the brand-new radio that was faulty before it even got shipped to me). Not impressed. Even for cheapo stuff I expect it to actually function from the factory. Baofeng literally has a better track record for me :p

11. KN6VYP

KN6VYP Ham Member QRZ Page

Can I buy one of those Motorola HTs for $10.81 on Aliexpress, too?

12. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

“You get what you pay for.”

caveat emptor.

13. KN6VYP

Some people are only satisfied in paying for more than they get, just so they can turn up their nose at anything else. In my limited experience I've found that a $25 Retevis RT85 with a tuned whip will TX 5+ watts with reports of full quieting and hit a VHF repeater six miles away. It would be great that everyone would have a $300-$500 budget for an ht, but I certainly don't. My Quansheng arrives tomorrow and I don't expect it will be as good as the RT85, but I'm still interested in seeing how it does. 73 Charlie KN6VYP

14. KN6VYP

I didn't see anything for 1.25 meters/220. That's what I'm more interested in.

15. IW2BSF

have .... with FW modded the range is : 18 MHz to 1.300 Mhz , hi hi ! 73

PS see here :