ad: Flexradio-1

The QRZ LOG BOOK IS FREE

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by N3WVB, Feb 28, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll begin by saying that I upload all my QSOs to QRZ.com log book. As of today I have 135,651 QSOs, 78,913 confirmed contacts and 341 Countries (DXCC Entities) confirmed in QRZ.com logbook dating back to 1977.

But, QRZ.com logbook went live sometime in 2010 I believe. At the time it began I already had DXCC on several bands, 3 modes, and was only a few months away from having 5 band WAS and DXCC. I currently have 6 band WAS and 9 band DXCC, as well as 2500 entities on DXCC Challenge.

All of my QRZ.com contacts and confirmation are a result of uploading my LoTW logs to QRZ.com which resulted in I don't know how many QRZ.com operating awards and endorsements, but there are lots. More than I want to go back and count.

But NONE of my ARRL awards that I have 50 years of operating invested toward earning and building endorsements have resulted from the use of QRZ.com log. In fact, operators who only use QRZ.com log have got to be hindering lots of operators attempts to achieve awards they have been working on for decades.

I upload all my logs to QRZ.com. Not because I am working toward on the QRZ awards (however I do apply for all that I am eligible for). I do it for hams whos ham radio logging life began in 2010 or after.

I just wish that those who log on QRZ.com would upload their logs to LoTW as well. Even if they don't care about ARRL awards. Do it for the others who do.

KR4EE, WG7X, KD2WWY and 3 others like this.
  2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think that QRZ.COM makes it particularly easy to upload to LotW, does it? Speaking personally, I strongly dislike thin client applications, so I use Log4OM as my primary logbook, but that makes it easy to configure automatic upload to all the leading online logbooks, so my log gets reflected into QRZ, LotW, eQsl and others.

Martin G8FXC

KF5KWO likes this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about uploading from QRZ to LoTW as I have never done it or researched it. But importing from LoTW to QRZ is two mouse clicks. Couldn't be easier.

I don't like depending on the internet to keep my log current. I like keeping it in house, and uploading as I see fit. Which is at least every day I'm operating, and often several times a day.

N3FJP is my log program. I also use N1MM for contest logging. But all logs, contest and otherwise are imported to N3FJP. Then it's a couple easy mouse clicks to upload to LoTW, and Club Log. Then I use QRZ log tool to import LoTW updates to QRZ. The QRZ log is complete for all contacts made with this callsign going back to 1977. There are a few missing logs for paper logs kept for things such as Nov SS contests back in the 70s and early 80s. But other than that, It's complete.

WG7X and N3WVB like this.
  4. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

I will speak of my own personal experience
    LOTW is a nightmare , I have uploaded it and found it severely lacking
    It simply is not user friendly
    I use QRZ and EQSL Only
    Out of the two I prefer QRZ
    It has everything I want
    A web page , easy to see awards, forums, news, detailed info on operators and is easy for all to use
    What more does anyone need

Just my opinion

[​IMG]

KC9YGN likes this.
  5. N3WVB

Most Importantly ....

THE QRZ LOG BOOK

IS ON

The World's Number One Ham Server

[​IMG]

6. AE8EM

AE8EM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Totally agree! Everyone PLEASE use the QRZ logbook. Its Free and easier that all the others.
    Just my opinion, but try it you'll like it!

N3WVB likes this.
  7. N3WVB

While advocating for The QRZ Log Book On The Air
    I had a Ham ask me why he needs to log anyone anywhere
    He said he never saw the need to log
    I guess there are many hams who feel this way today
    Many decades ago Logging was a standard practice of all hams
    For me it was always a reference of who I talked with,
    The frequency they were on and time of day as a way of meeting them again
    The ARRL has their reasons for logging on their web site ......

The reasons for logging your amateur activity fall into three categories: legal, operational and personal. Legally, a log of your transmissions would be invaluable in proving your innocence in an interference complaint. Operationally, having a log of past contacts is a resource when filling out that DX QSL card that may have taken months to arrive. Personally, a log is like a personal radio history reminding you of the people and places you’ve talked to, the nets you participated in and contests you worked.

For me it has always been a valuable resource of of accomplishment and enjoyment
    A record of your hobby, station performance and solar cycle activity
    It takes seconds to do with the advent of the internet
    and you no longer have to worry about storing those paper records we still maintain like prized collections of baseball cards.

I hope others post their reason to log here as well

ONCE AGAIN

USE THE QRZ LOG BOOK
    IT IS FREE AND IT IS EASY

[​IMG]

DO YOU REMEMBER
    RADIO CAROLINE ?
    LOGGED BY N3WVB

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    4X1ST and AE8EM like this.
  8. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

It's literally four fast clicks. Downloads the same. Try it. Before I ever became a moderator here, I used it because of the disparity in logger choices. I added Club Log and eQSL (a surprisingly opaque site, IMHO) and among those I believe I'm capturing 99%.

Every week I cross-load them, even when I'm inactive (and have been for a while). Something invariably pops up among them-- even from years ago.

73 Tom W9YW

KK4EM, AE8EM and N3WVB like this.
  9. N3WVB

I have to agree with Tom ..
    There is nothing more surprising than receiving a confirmation from months or years ago
    It demonstrates to me that for what every reason
    If it s just getting internet access or just hearing about the QRZ Log Book
    The ops upload their contacts and I have to say
    Those confirmations bring a smile to my face
    Hope to see more people using this amazing QRZ Feature

[​IMG]

10. N3WVB

I was seriously asked today why Hams insist on using UTC instead of local time for QSO's and Logging
    First allow me to say there is never a stupid question
    First of all on your own individual log book especially a paper log you can use Local Time , 2400 Military Time or UTC
    Really you dont even need to put a time on your paper log a date or frequency

I can only tell you how most hams do it

UTC eliminates confusion over time zones or daylight saving time, but you must remember to change the date at 0000Z,
    which could be anywhere from 4 PM to 7 PM local standard time for a North American station.
    This is an advantage of the computerized logging programs.

Having one uniformed time , date, frequency and rst are the norm for confirmation on qsl cards , logbooks and on air discussions
    on contacts and ofcourse rare dx.

Continuity is imperative and being consistent makes it habit and easy for all.

I hope placing this info on this post helps new and old hams alike who may want to ask but feel doing so makes them
    appear in a bad light.

The best thing about Ham Radio especially in days gone by , we all learned from one another.

On A Personal Not
    Voted Best Baseball Park In North America
    PNC Park Pittsburgh

[​IMG]

SPORTS
    USA Today rankings name PNC Park the best MLB stadium
    [​IMG]

By Patrick Damp

Updated on: March 13, 2024 / 2:05 PM EDT / CBS Pittsburgh

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - The view of the city and the bridges, the food, the architecture, and yes, the baseball have all once again put PNC Park atop another ranking of the best ballparks in the country.

A group of eight baseball reporters and editors for USA Today came together with the MLB season approaching to rank the best baseball stadiums in Major League Baseball and the consensus was clear - the best ballpark is PNC Park.

"Even without changing a thing, this is a ballpark that seems to become more beautiful as time goes by, with its intimate architecture and breathtaking view," wrote Joe Mock of BaseballParks.com. "Please, Pirates, don't make any changes!"

The Pirates have mostly heard Mock's plea, having only made slight alterations over the years from new concessions, lighting, sound systems, and a new scoreboard that debuted last season, but the heart of the stadium has remained the same.

Baseball fans are still greeted by the breathtaking view of Pittsburgh's Sister Bridges and the downtown skyline.

11. N3WVB

On March 2nd
    I worked a total of 7 JA Stations
    Unfortunately out of the 7
    Only one confirmed via QRZ

I continue to push for stations to use The QRZ Log Book
    Hope you are able to do the same
    I worked North Macedonia March 19th
    I was told that snail mail with donation was required
    My reply was Thank You
    But I do QRZ Log Book Only
    CQ CQ CQ

To me QRZ is the way to go
    Fast Easy and Free
    What else can I say

USE THE FREE QRZ LOG BOOK TO CONFIRM ALL CONTACTS

THE FINAL COURTESY OF A QSO IS CONFIRMATION

N3WVB

AE8EM likes this.
  12. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I do LOTW Clublog eQsl and QRZ logook.

upload_2024-3-24_11-37-19.png

upload_2024-3-24_11-38-25.png

K8BZ likes this.
  13. N3LHQ

N3LHQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

More DX stations worldwide must be joining, I have been receiving conformations from years ago! :)

N3WVB likes this.
  14. N3WVB

It is important to get the word out
    Not only here on the post
    But More Importantly On The Air
    Let Every You Contact Know
    You Log All Contacts On QRZ.COM
    Using The Free Easy To Use QRZ Log Book
    There Is No Reason That Anyone With Internet Connection
    Can Not Confirm or Log Contacts On QRZ

DO Not Hesitate To Inform
    All DX-peditions
    That you prefer confirmation
    VIA QRZ

Sorry I No Longer Use Snail Mail
    It is 2024
    Snail Mail Is No Longer An Option

[​IMG]

N3WVB / CHUCK
    LAKE TOMAHAWK OHIO USA

15. N3WVB

Ham Bands A Bit Slow For You Today ?
    Take A Minute and Sign Up For The Free Easy To Use QRZ Log Book

About the QRZ Logbook

The QRZ Logbook System is a master collection of QSO records from all participating members. Each member may create and populate one or more logbooks for their personal or club use. The cloud-based QRZ Master Logbook contains over 300,000 logbooks from individual hams worldwide. Users of the QRZ Logbook enjoy a 40%+ confirmation rate on their QSOs. On a typical day, as many as 200,000 new QSOs arrive, and around 88,000 new confirmations are produced.

The QRZ system is continually searching the database for matches. A match is declared when two separate records in the database match these key details:

• Call Signs - both QSO reports must name the same two call signs
    • Date/Time (UTC) - both QSO reports must have the same timestamp, +- 30 minutes
    • Band - both QSO reports report the same band in use
    • Mode - both QSO reports report the same mode in use
    Of course, there are a lot of additional fields in a QSO report, but these are the key values for QSO matching.

The QRZ Logbook is a double-blind system. This means that both QSO parties must log the contact separately. In order for a QSO to be confirmed, both parties must use the QRZ Logbook, and each must input the details of the QSO as they observed them. One side is never told what the other side has reported. The system will then decide if both reports match, and if they do, a confirmation is awarded.

As you build up a list of confirmations in your Logbook, you earn credit towards QRZ Operating Awards. You may apply for awards directly within the Logbook, as it contains a full-featured awards analyzer subsystem.

While the QRZ Logbook is available free of charge to all hams, some additional features may require a subscription. In particular, subscribers enjoy the ability to interface their PC logging programs directly with the QRZ Logbook so that their online logs can be updated on-the-fly with modern software. Subscribers also enjoy an automatic connection to the ARRL's Logbook of the World and the ability to export ADIF log files to other programs and collections. Subscribers may also name "guest" users who may input records into their logbook. This becomes especially handy for club or multi-operator operations.

Every logbook has a settings profile that the user may modify to suit the needs of the current activity in order to pre-fill those QSO record details that the user wishes to continue in series. For example, information pertinent to a particular location or contest, etc. A mobile user might, for example, update his Logbook Properties Settings each time he moves to a new location.

[​IMG]

AE8EM likes this.