ad: Schulman-1

The QRZ callsign search field auto fills with my own callsign

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by W1JIM, Feb 1, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1JIM

W1JIM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The callsign search field in the upper left corner of the home and logger pages automatically populates with my own callsign.
    If I want to search I have to first clear the field.
    Any thoughts on how to fix this?
    Jim
    W1JIM

2. KF0FBK

KF0FBK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's your browser doing that. Look for an option to turn off "auto-complete forms".

3. KD8TNF

KD8TNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine also suddenly started doing this today - No auto fill settings have changed or modified - Cleared cookies and did a general clean up to no avail - I HATE THIS - slows me down to a crawl logging as it will not easily delete my own call without several keystrokes.

Please help!

W1JIM likes this.
  4. VA7STV

VA7STV Ham Member QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

We have had a few users report this issue over the last couple of days. Unfortunately at this point we have not been able to recreate the issue or isolate the cause.

If you are experiencing this issue please submit a support ticket and include as much of the the following information as possible:
    • Full screenshot of your browser window
    • Operating system version
    • Browser type and version
    • List of any extensions you have installed in your browser

5. W1JIM

Please post a link to the QRZ support ticket.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

It's in Stephen's reply but here again is the link: https://ssl.qrz.com/support

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KD8TNF

Seems like this condition is limited to Chrome sessions on this machine, and Chrome updated this afternoon - Not auto filling my own call when QRZ is opened on Edge.

73 Chris

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  8. W1JIM

Similiar experience.

Took a look through my Chrome extensions and found one called "Autofill". Deleted it.
    Rebooted computer.
    Same behavior as before on Chrome - fills the callsign search with my callsign.
    Opened up Edge and logged in to QRZ - the field is not autofilling.
    Updated from LOTW and still not filling in the search field.
    Tried logging out and then back into QRZ on Chrome - no change.

9. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes same here.
    I was on the version Version 120.0.6099.225 (Official Build) (64-bit) Chrome and not having the issue..

I updated to Version 121.0.6167.140 (Official Build) (64-bit), and YES, DEFAULTS TO MY CALL like W1JIM reported.

I have zillions maybe 30 extensions but haven't added any for many years,

This is a link to the changes but its mostly Geek to me.
    https://chromium.googlesource.com/c...6167.86..121.0.6167.140?pretty=fuller&n=10000

10. KY4PW

KY4PW Ham Member QRZ Page

You may not like the fix, but you should be able to stop this by going into Chrome settings "Passwords and autofill", then "Google password manager", and deleting your qrz.com login. (I tried it.) You'll then have to remember your password to log in, so make sure you have that before you delete anything. If you tell Chrome to save your info the next time you log in, the problem will recur. The call sign search field is being perceived by Chrome as the same field as the login page, so it fills in your call sign. Deleting the login info leaves it with nothing to put in the search field, but unfortunately leaves you with having to enter your password each time you log in. As an aside, I'm using Firefox, and it doesn't have this issue.

11. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks that works for me also. I have LastPass, which also remembers PWS for zillions of sites and does automatic login, so I don't need the Chrome login for QRZ.

KY4PW likes this.
  12. KD8TNF

Same fix here, although it's not really fixed. A workable repair expedient. Deleted saved password info in Google Chrome settings for QRZ.com, problem gone.

Thanks for the attention 73 Chris

13. M0WIV

M0WIV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine was doing this today, autofilling my callsign. I seem to have cured it by pressing enter so it then went to my page. After that it is no longer showing my callsign automatically.

System is Chrome and Windows 11.

John

14. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

This glitch relates to an update with Chrome that is propagating to everyone using Chrome Browser. It has to do with how sites react to Chrome search boxes.

QRZ HQ has a fix in the works - it should be resolved soon.

Dave
    W7UUU

W9TOX likes this.
  15. VA7STV

VA7STV Ham Member QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Thank you to everyone for providing the information needed to track down this issue. As @W7UUU mentioned the issue was limited to chrome.

A fix is now in place and the issue should be resolved.