ad: CQMM-1

The EASIEST Antenna to build for Six Meters using one piece of RG-58 coax!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Dec 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

But according to the video, you do need a certain sized piece of PVC pipe, and some extra coaxial cable. An inverted V can be made using almost anything as an insulator, and virtually any type of wire as the radiator. The primary advantage to this seems to be that it is end fed, which may or may not even be an advantage. Obviously, it will have no gain advantage over any other dipole.

2. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

That type of coaxial made antenna is very popular over here mainly by CB portable OPs ( T2LT) but they are used on the amateur bands VHF>15m. A very forgiving design that works well as long as the airchoke does its job , vertical to the outside of a fiberglass pole/ hanging from a tree or in an inverted vee or flat top horizontal. The top 1/4w part can even be another piece of wire joined to the coax so no need to strip all that back although one complete piece is less likely to fail out in the field I guess.

VK7HH and KC3PBI like this.
  3. KE0NRE

KE0NRE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Polarization on Es isn't constant. Measurements show it changes minute to minute.
    https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_of_50_MHz_signals_via_Sporadic-E_reflection

EI7GL and VK7HH like this.
  4. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

I can’t find non A-U rg58 near me and will be using RG8x. I’m trying to figure out if that will need to be sized differently from rg58 dimensions?

5. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

I used RG8X for mine, was fine.

Nominally that stock is .242" and the core is .058", so the choke windings will be floating .121" above the former surface, on center. Add .242" to the former diameter to get the overall electrical coil diameter and derive length of windings.

RG58 is thinner at .195" and thus its coil would be a little smaller and shorter when winding directly onto a former.

6. KE8OKM

Excellent! That’s just what I was looking for. I plan on assembly this evening.

I’ll also add to the discussion. I saw a design that omits the PVC pipe section entirely. The Coax is looped on itself for “x” amount of times and held together with zip-ties. This was of course even simpler in design. I can’t find the link right now but it had something to do with SOTA.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    VK7HH and K0PV/SK2023 like this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just use a former to make the coil. Keep it tight then lightly coat the seams with pvv cement. Once dry you can remove the form. Carboard tube works well for that.

8. K0PV/SK2023

K0PV/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

X amount of coax looped on itself is not a choke. It is a SWR generator. Chokes need all turns to be parallel and not overlapped and not a "X" amount but a specific amount as determined by the frequency that you are using the antenna on.

K0UO likes this.
  9. KE8OKM

I found the no PVC antenna. I find this one interesting in design but from what you say it may not work or at least as well as the pvc coiled one?

https://vk3yy.wordpress.com/2016/03/16/trail-friendly-flowerpot-antenna-for-six/

10. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you to all the positive comments. Please post photos of your builds in here, I'd be interested in including any that have been scaled to different frequencies.

11. KE8OKM

I am trying to scale this antenna using RG58 to one using RG8x.

In the following example the “l” length is 70mm. If you multiply turns (13) by (4mm) you get 52mm for “l” ? Where does the 70mm length come from?
    409B28F9-F4CE-44CB-A8AD-1D9BE4B6162D.png
    From VK1NAM website.

K0PV/SK2023, KD4MOJ and VK7HH like this.
  12. G8LIY

G8LIY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is construction(copy) of a GainMaster Coaxial 5/8 for 11/10M... again based on Coax, bit more complex :) Maybe could be rescaled for 6M..??

13. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I once made a 2 meter antenna out of coax that had been cut by accident during operation but the radio was needed badly to handle traffic. No other antenna was handy so I basically stripped back the shield and made a vertical dipole type affair that was hastily taped up and was functional for the duration. Cut it to 19 inches, nothing available to fine tune it or anything. All that was needed was tape or something to suspend it, a knife and a keen eye. Oh, something to measure 19 inches.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I ALWAYS wanted to be the 'Gain MASTER'.... Heck, now I can just BUY it!

15. N7VS

N7VS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very Interesting. How did you arrive at your dimensions? Might be worth a try. I currently use an Elecraft KX3

Steve Brandt N7VS Portland, OR