ad: M2Ant-1

The EASIEST Antenna to build for Six Meters using one piece of RG-58 coax!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Dec 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N1EMD

N1EMD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

looks like a fun build...

2. KE0GG

KE0GG Ham Member QRZ Page

I like working the formulas. The difference in the dimensional length between the shielded section and the wire section is based on the length/diameter ratios of the conductors. That is why the shielded section is slightly smaller than the wire end. VF of the coax does not play in here. Excellent article!

3. KE0GG

KE0GG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want some formulas to work with, see the below info:
    Uncompensated length* (in meters) = (150 x K)/freq (in MHz). *Now K is the conductor length/diameter ratio previously mentioned.
    Let's solve for the 1/2 wavelength uncompensated length for 53 MHz: 150/53 = 2.830 meters or 2830 mm.
    Using RG/U 58 cable, the K factor (length/diameter ratios) for the wire end is .97, and the K for the shielded end is .95 based on 1/2 wavelength of cable and the table in the ARRL Antenna Handbook. (You may need to convert from American Wire Gauge parameters to metric units to solve.) Now let's apply the K factor from the formula:
    For the wire section, 2.830 (m) x .97 = 2.7453 (m); however, 1/4 wavelength would be 1.372 meters or 1372 mm.
    For the coax section, 2.830 (m) x .95 = 2.688 (m); however, 1/4 wavelength would be 1.344 meters or 1344 mm.
    So you can see that they are very close to the original frequency design. So let's build some sky-hooks!

KE8MOW likes this.
  4. KJ6KK

KJ6KK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My furthest FT8 contacts on 6M have been with a vertical GP-15 -- central California to Florida, Canada, Mexico. My horz beam did not do as well.

5. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mr. Casler, I am trying to build this 6m Antenna with RG-8x instead of RG58 and have had a bear of a time trying to figure out the dimensions (windings) for a choke. What would you suggest!

***KE0OG thank you for the incredible wealth of knowledge found on your Y-T channel.
    I refer to them often.

6. M0KIA

M0KIA Ham Member QRZ Page

I can vouch for the Flowerpot. I have made many for 2m which dual band band for 70cm being one and a half wavelengths. They work and are reliable and if thought is given to weatherproofing can last years. I have learnt that the thickness you wind the Balun on is important as too narrow the coax leaks RF through the braid and at around 50mm you can get more turns and make it easier to tune for the exact frequency. 1:1 SWR is easily achievable and there is considerable bandwidth available. Enjoy!

7. PU2OLT

PU2OLT Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE = "VK7HH, post: 5690502, membro: 126853"] Esta é uma antena realmente simples e fácil de construir que o colocará no ar na banda de seis metros usando apenas coaxial RG-58!

Eu precisava de uma antena rápida e simples para meu farol WSPR durante o verão. Digite o dipolo coaxial ou também a antena do vaso de flores!

[MEDIA = youtube] 4h7UGNbWmsY [/ MEDIA] [/ QUOTE]

What is the 6m range?

8. N3RRO

N3RRO Ham Member QRZ Page