ad: chuckmartin

The Dumbedt Mistake I've Ever Made

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K1KTF, Jul 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1KTF

K1KTF Ham Member QRZ Page

In 2004 I thankfully got back into Amateur Radio and decided to sell my first rig a Drake 2-C receiver and Drake 2NT transmitter since I wanted to upgrade to an HF station.

The Drakes were posted on QRZ and sold a short time after.

In hindsight, this was thee dumbest mistake I ever made and regret it ever since, being I was sentimentally missing the Drakes and particularly how I could have handed my childhood rig down to my kids.

The lesson here is "think first" before you plan to make a few extra dollars. Positive memories are more important than money.

Thanks for listening (I feel somewhat better).

73 ~ Steve (K1KTF)

KK5JY and WD4IGX like this.
  2. LU9FMS

LU9FMS Ham Member QRZ Page

What a valuable lesson! In the future, I'll try to bear in mind what you're saying here. Thank you so much for your testimony.

K1KTF likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not just source replacements? The only thing different will be the serial numbers :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WA7PRC, N7ANN and K2HAT like this.
  4. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I agree, I have seen a lot of Drake stuff cheap at the Hamfests the last 2 years.

K1KTF likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't beat yourself up about it.

Make your next dumb mistake even better, And you will forget about this one. :)

WA7PRC, K1KTF, N4QWK and 2 others like this.
  6. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

This actually made sense . I need more coffee.

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I should have never sold my R-4B with the noise blanker.
    But.......
    I was Stupid....
    And Did.

KV4VO likes this.
  8. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I have owned a lot of equipment over the nearly 50 years I have been a ham. Rarely was it new and certainly not "classic" like the Collins S line or the Drake twins. I gave it all away for free (after I upgraded) to hams I had mentored and am I happy to have helped others along the way. To me, this is what ham radio is all about.
    Tom WA4ILH

N6RGR and AF6LJ like this.
  9. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a great thing to do. Bravo to you, sir.

K1KTF likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a very nice Drake C line, R4-C and T-4Xc, back in the early 90s. I still kick myself for selling those, especially when I see the prices really nice ones bring (or at least, the prices people ASK) these days. Samples that look like they've been through a war are not as much, of course, but nor I do want those.

K1KTF likes this.