ad: Radclub22-1

The Amateur Radio Parity Act - Could become reality...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's about the size of it.

I too used to maintain an Ignore list. Then, I discovered the people whose posts I objected to continued to post stuff I objected to... without challenge. I now DON'T maintain an Ignore list. :)

2. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to unfriend myself on FaceBook but I had beat myself to it ...

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) has been identified in this thread as the roadblock that has thus far prevented the Parity Act from going forward. Since the recent Florida Hurricane, what communications related topic has Senator Nelson taken an interest in as important to provide emergency information to the public?

FM monitoring capabilities in ALL smartphones. Between Parity and Universal FM capability in smartphones, which do you think has the best chance of becoming law?
    http://www.insideradio.com/free/sen...cle_c0be354a-a1cb-11e7-9ad0-8f1cb9cc11a8.html

4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Senator Nelson has properly identified the fundamental flaws of this bill which is the "roadblock", not him personally.

As I believe neither would substantively help anyone in an emergency, it's arguably a false premise that either would benefit from hurricane-itis.

5. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

So...
    Activate one way communication from broadcast stations within disaster zones that at best are on reserve power, to receivers that may only be holding one partial charge, for purposes of communicating what ?

6. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How to get around HOA restrictions, put a ham station in this:

7. K1VSK

It's unAmericn to propose a ham radio parity act without acknowledging the injustice of a HOA which wants to limit Sherman tanks parking on the street. Tanks for everyone...:rolleyes:

8. K6RLC

K6RLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently live in a Mobile Home park, which, just like planned communities has a pretty restrictive regulation in regards to antennas. I am very fortunate that the manager of the park has allowed me to erect my antenna, which I use quite often. So I have a HexBeam antenna at 25' on the back of my mobile home, and I am totally at the mercy of the current manager as to it remaining. In my opinion, the Parity Act would at the very least give me the ability to make an argument to the owner of the park for keeping my antenna up if the current manager is replaced. I think having something on the books is better than what we have currently, which is nothing. This legislation has been a long time coming, and I am certain that it has taken a lot of hard work from a lot of people to get it to the current status.

KO6WB likes this.
  9. K1VSK

As currently written, this legislation wouldn't help you as it stipulates that any antenna would be allowed only at the manager's discretion in that you don't get the right to determine what is an effective antenna. And that assumes the mobile home park is considered a community association. If not, this legislation wouldn't apply at all so by its exception, you might be in more jeopardy.

Be careful what you wish for...

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Like Bob Hope always sang, "Tanks for the memories..."

K1OIK and WA7PRC like this.
  11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Faulty logic.

Without any legislation, you wouldn't be able to install any antenna whatsoever.

That helps people how exactly?

12. K1VSK

He already has an antenna.

13. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, not exactly. He has been identified as a roadblock. Senator Nelson isn't the only reason that the bill is stuck.

14. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, that flips the whole @RP@ logic on its head, doesn't it? :cool:

15. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

If I understand the argument:

If a community association exists (which I agree is a form of covenant or restriction), even if that community association says nothing about antennas and in no way restricts antennas, the bill as written requires the community association to be notified and to get its approval.

This essentially would grant any community association the power to restrict antennas, even if they did not have such power previously.

Say, for example, there exists a community association which exists solely to pave roads and put in sidewalks. Suddenly this group will be given veto power over your antennas.

Now as to the reality of a court applying this interpretation of the law as written, I have no opinion.

Jon
    AF7TS

KK5JY likes this.