ad: elecraft

The Amateur Radio Parity Act - Could become reality...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. - Benjamin Franklin

N4MB and WQ4G like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Interestingly, Mr. Franklin said that in support of American resistance of what was perceived as unjust English law, among other things.

3. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the link, Chip. I've been so busy working I haven't taken the time to look closely at the wording of the ARPA. However, I *DO* know Fred and his book I use as the "bible" to help represent others as a volunteer counsel on ham radio matters. I've read the link you posted that contained Fred's rebuttal. I think it's important to understand Fred's worry is the current bill, should it pass, could FOREVER SERIOUSLY RESTRICT our opportunities to put up many types of antennas. While it's being offered as an "answer" to HOA and CC&R restrictions, the wording is very suspect and could seriously jeapordize our true desire to rid ourselves of onnerous restrictions.

Thanks for your post!

...............Bob

NL7W, K3XR and KK5JY like this.
  4. KB9VLH

KB9VLH Ham Member QRZ Page

No need for more government intervention ---- just don't buy into an antenna restricted community/neighborhood. Keep getting more government involved
    it won't be long before every radio operator will have to apply for and follow rules set out in a antenna construction permit.

KG5THG and KK5JY like this.
  5. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Chip for the Link... Does look like a bad bill after reading Fred K1VR document. I do not live in an HOA and never will for a number of reasons. I do feel for people who live in those neighborhoods.

I understand why some people like HOAs, I have a hoarder lady next door to me, however I will live with that eye sore to have my freedom.

I will send a note to my senator not to support unless someone can present a better argument (that I can understand, not the ARRL faq) for the bill.

N9PBD and KK5JY like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

My pleasure Bob.

Chip W1YW

7. NA4DX

NA4DX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I completely agree with your assessment. We need to do a better job of demonstrating and educating the public on what amateur radio is really all about. Yes, it is a hobby, but name me one other "hobby" (maybe RC, radio controlled planes/drones) which is licensed and regulated by an agency of the Federal government. That in itself should supply the necessary clout to overturn the grip that HOAs have on hams. But, honestly, the bottom line, is that we just have not promoted ham radio to our neighbors, local governments, schools, emergency management agencies, first responders organizations, etc. If you ask the average passer-by on the street what ham radio is, most will say they have no clue, or at the very best will associate us with CB'ers from some movie they saw somewhere. Let's get off our duffs and do the hard work of advocating, educating and promoting amateur radio....to everyone!

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just as disturbing as the K1VR expert opinion is on the current HR555/S1534 legislation are Fred's words in post script, ie,

"P.S. I’d like to know which ARRL directors voted against supporting this bill, so I can contribute to their next election campaign, but apparently the ARRL Board now has some sort of loyalty restriction that prevents an officer or director from telling you if he or she voted no. But that’s another topic. While I am neither a director nor vice director, I wonder if the ARRL will attempt to punish me for publishing this opinion."

Their recent shenanigans involving the election for a Southeast Division Director still evoke bitter feelings in many members who, ironically, hold the most political power for convincing the resistant US Senator from FL.

John, WØPV

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    N0EKO likes this.
  9. K4DGC

K4DGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a lot of Hams that are for and against the bill. That's fine to each their own opinion, but I am one of those hams that live in an HOA subdivisions and I can tell you living here in Florida and trying to get out on my base radio is a choir. I have a 1/2 wave Fan Dipole (homebrew) up in my attic that gets out fairly well but height is still an issue and when you are disabled and the only thing you have to do is either stare at the TV or get on the radio and pick and choose you QSO's especially here it's a very small menu to choose from. I personally HOPE and cross my fingers that this bill passes just so I can put a Vertical in my yard just so I can talk to other hams around the national/world. 73

Chris KM4WBS

N0EKO, N4ABQ, K4XJ and 1 other person like this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally hope that ARRL abandons this bill and proposes a real bill that actually gives you the right to put a vertical in your yard. If you read K1VR's comments on the current bill, you'll realize that the current bill, even if it passes, will not guarantee you anything of the kind. I would respectfully suggest that you research the bill completely (and not just ARRL's press releases) before you support it.

N0EKO and N9PBD like this.
  11. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You might want to read the following from the ARRL's FAQ:

================================================================
    Q. Why does ARPA not guarantee an amateur the right to operate on the band(s) of his or
    her choice?

A. This argument is a bit hard to understand. FCC licenses entitle a radio amateur to operate on a
    wide variety of amateur allocations. The entitlement to operate on all amateur bands or to
    maintain antennas that are effective on all amateur bands at the same time is far beyond the
    scope of either PRB-1 or ARPA. There is a very definite limit to what is achievable in any
    legislative limitation on private land-use regulation. It simply is an unreasonable expectation that
    any legislation will invalidate covenants completely and allow a radio amateur to erect whatever
    he or she wishes to install
    . That said, an amateur’s expectation for the types of effective outdoor
    antenna that the HOA will be obligated to permit differs depending on the type of land use
    involved. In a condominium, perhaps a whip antenna on a balcony is the best that can be
    accommodated. On a 10-acre, single family lot in a deed-restricted, wooded subdivision, a far
    more elaborate antenna and support structure should be expected
    . The specifcation of the need
    to operate on multiple bands throughout the radio spectrum is not a matter that is properly
    included in legislative language. It will have to be addressed in FCC rulemaking or in report
    language accompanying the legislation. (emphasis added)
    =================================================================

Simply put, a fair reading of the act means a whip for 440 provides every ham all he or she needs. I must say I'm a bit amused by the discussion of a "10-acre, single family lot in a deed-restricted, wooded subdivision," which applies to at best a very few folks. MOST of us are concerned with the 1/2 acre and less size plot, where that trusty 440 whip is going to satisfy every ham's wants and needs per this bill.

I'm a life member of the ARRL and support them fully, but this act really appears to be not much more than an attempt to pass something, ANYTHING that the ARRL can look back on and say, "SEE? We did this for you!" when in fact, it really does not accomplish anywhere near what we really need. Should it pass, the FCC will offer it's opinion that the 440 whip is just fine for most hams and it will be another 50 years before anything changes.

I must say I'm very frustrated to see the real nuts and bolts of what the ARRL is trying to pass. I was surprised to see it got through the house so easily. Now I see why. I hate to say it, but it really is back to the drawing board. If this passes, we are done with ever having true parity. Simple words like "and" verses "or" make all the differnce in the world.

K1VR is unfortunately spot on.

..............Bob

NL7W, W4END, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  12. NN7W

NN7W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you to everyone who has worked so long and hard to get us to this point. While it may not be the pinnacle of what some amateurs would like, it's the result of some difficult negotiations that will allow hams living in restricted areas to get approval for some type of effective antenna for use. For many amateurs, that's way more than they have now. I fully support the bill, together with the thousands of others who appreciate the collective efforts of everyone who has contributed toward crafting a workable and sustainable agreement.

N4ABQ, WU8Y and KO6WB like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to see a public list of ALL ATTORNEY-HAMS who SUPPORT the ARPA Bill--as presently worded.

PLEASE BE PUBLIC AND tell us who you are.

Here is the list so far (feel free to add and or correct):
    K5UR
    W3KD

My point is not to be disputatious but rather to make it clear who has taken the time to review the meaning and implications of the present bill's wording, while being familiar with 'the law'.

No attacks.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what an HOA will grant you under the present wording of the Parity Act Bill:

[​IMG]

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In the absence of any prior agreement in civil contract , here's what your CB neighbor can erect , while you are restricted by Federal law vis a vis the Parity Act--if passed as presently worded:

[​IMG]