ad: UR5CDX-1

The Amateur Radio Parity Act - Could become reality...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

IF the presently worded Bill passes, ham radio in the US will collapse, and the price of HF gear will tube. Tens of thousands of HF radios will be dumped hoping for pennies on the dollar. Chance are your beloved, hard earned radios will end up here:

[​IMG]

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...or HERE:
    [​IMG]

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

ANY QUESTIONS?

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have serious concerns that the LEGITIMATE, OVERWHELMING and FACTUAL objections to the presently worded ARPA bill are deliberately being MISINTERPRETED by a VOCAL MINORITY who see objectors as an 'evil group of malcontents who hate ham radio'.

No.

NO NO NO.

We ALL want an ARPA. Its THIS WORDING on the present bill that is FATAL.

It needs to be dumped and RE-WRITTEN.

And THEN Re-Submitted.

Thanks,
    Chip W1YW

NL7W, N0EKO, K6CLS and 1 other person like this.
  5. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nonsense. You don't make a valid point by just repeating your "reasons" to oppose, over and over again.

It's a good Bill. Instead, you should read the ARRL President's Text, where your issues have been addressed AND explained, in FULL. What's more?

This time around, the Bill will become Law: It's Going to Happen.

73 and All the Best!

DE W8LV Bill

WB2KSP and WU8Y like this.
  6. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Very true. More government is never the answer. Even before I became a HAM operator, I would never even consider a property in an HOA under any circumstance.

NL7W, K4XJ and WQ4G like this.
  7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

It's more than just a movie that causes the average passer-by on the street to associate us with CB'ers. IMO CB'ers are USING Ham Radio and often imply (represent themselves as) that they are Ham Ops.

8. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with the bill, in it's current form, is that your idea of "some type of effective antenna" is different than the HOA's idea of "some type of effective antenna" and leaves the decision of "whats effective" up to the HOA - not you. If you are in favor of having the HOA determine what you will use for an antenna, then by all means, support the bill.

N0EKO and K3XR like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nonsense.

See:

https://bit.ly/ParityAct

Bill,

I have green-money ca$h. I will buy your HF transceiver for 15% the going rate, right now.

$50 for your FT-450D Bill--it will be a dead weight after that bill passes as written.

After the passing of this bill, if it passes, it will likely be worth less than 5 cents on the dollar. I am doing you this personal favor. Only for YOU, Bill. Offer expires 13 August.

73 and All the Best!
    Chip W1YW

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  10. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The bill leaves it to the HOA to determine what type of antenna is best for you. Giving the wording, there is SO much wiggle room for the HOA that they can reasonably decide a 440 whip is just fine, even though you want to work DX on 20 meters. In the ARRL text, even THEY say "should be expected," not guaranteed or even likely that you will have the right to put up a reasonable antenna to work HF, for instance, when that 440 whip will let you communicate and "enjoy" your hobby all you need.

I HOPE you are correct in your assessment, but given the current wording I have my doubts. Read CLOSELY the ARRL text in their FAQ and there is absolutely no assurance that you will even have the right to put up what MOST hams would consider a reasonable antenna. Again, those HOAs that currently refuse to allow you to have an outside antenna appear to have every right to limit you to a 440 whip as the SOLE antenna you can use.

If that floats your boat, it's a good bill.

...............Bob

NL7W and N0EKO like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

W8LV--

You cant run your FT-450D on a 440 MHz whip...

$50... Is good offer, yes?

12. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The actual wording of the act is here:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/555/text?q={"search":["hr+555"]}&r=1

================================================================================================
    (a) Amendment of FCC rules.—Not later than 120 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Federal Communications Commission shall amend section 97.15 of title 47, Code of Federal Regulations, by adding a new paragraph that prohibits the application to amateur stations of any private land use restriction, including a restrictive covenant, that—

(1) on its face or as applied, precludes communications in an amateur radio service;

(2) fails to permit a licensee in an amateur radio service to install and maintain an effective outdoor antenna on property under the exclusive use or control of the licensee; or

(3) does not constitute the minimum practicable restriction on such communications to accomplish the lawful purposes of a community association seeking to enforce such restriction.
    ================================================================================================

Please notice the word OR at the end of line 2. Please go back and READ my post 26 where the ARRL addressed the question of WHY the bill does not guarantee the rights of hams to operate on bands of their choice. The word OR removes ANY thought of being able to erect a "reasonable" outdoor antenna. THIS IS WHY IT PASSED THE HOUSE SO EASILY!

If you want the HOA deciding what an "effective" antenna is, so be it. That 440 whip fits the bill and if you want to put up a "reasonable" antenna to work HF, there is NOTHING in this bill that guarantees that right. Period.

NADA. NYET.

Anyone who TRULY was fighting for a "reasonable" outdoor antenna would have demanded the word "AND" at the end of sentence 2, as K1VR so well explained.

..................Bob

N0EKO, N9PBD and W4END like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill W8LV--

I won't repeat this again, but I wanted to show you, in good faith, I have the funds to buy your FT450D for $50...NOW. When, and if, the ARPA bill passes as written, your rig will be worth a fraction of that. Maybe $5?

And I will up the ante. I pledge to contribute $50 to the ham of your choice who gets embroiled in an HOA battle (if the present wording passes) trying to get an "effective outdoor antenna" for HF.

Chip W1YW

. ft450dollar$.JPG

14. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

And I say you have no clue how your own Government works. Contact me off line if you would like to place a simple wager on passage of this bill in this session of the legislature.

15. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

What a Chump Move.
    What next, the Double Dare?

Followed by the Double, Triple Dare?

You can post and post and post that the Parity Act is going to ruin Ham Radio, and convoluted rebuttal after convuluted rebuttal to the ARRL President's explanation of the Bill.

But it doesn't mean that what you say is so.

In Fact, it's quite the Opposite.

The Bill will pass. In spite of you. And your spite towards me, the ARRL, and those who disagree with you.

That's just how it's going to BE.

73 and All the Best!
    DE W8LV Bill

WU8Y likes this.