ad: CQMM-1

South Carolina Hams fight to amend homeowner association restrictions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD5W, Mar 1, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a good point, but close to 30 years later, not aware of any changes.

2. N6WNG

N6WNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough--it wasn't entirely clear from your post when the actual tower proposal was made. Anyway, I would still keep an eye on the town manager. :)

Tim

3. KG5KPU

KG5KPU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had issues back in 2016 with my City's codes. A neighbor reported me to the city. I had no idea I was doing anything wrong, since I don't live in an HOA. I contacted the ARRL. The ARRL attorney, Mr. Imlay (sp?), took interest and wrote a letter to the City Attorney. Through the ARRL, I was able to access legal counsel at a discount. Because of their influence ,a comprimise was reached. So, yes...our dues to the ARRL do have an impact on these issues.

N4LMM and W7ASA like this.
  4. AA2RR

AA2RR Ham Member QRZ Page

My Rep has added his name to sponsor and support the bill.

KD5W and W3SLK like this.
  5. W3SLK

W3SLK Ham Member QRZ Page

KG5KPU said:
    Well, consider yourself fortunate. I have a friend who was an ARRgghhL member who had similar issues. When he approached the (be)League(d) for assistance all he got was the sound of crickets!

1 person likes this.
  6. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now for the other side of the story.... Years ago I had a problem with a device that was advertised in QST. I contacted the manufacturer and all I got was lip service. I contacted the ARRL and I talked to a fellow who handled advertising. I told him my situation. Several days later a (better) replacement part and a letter of apology from the manufacturer arrived at my house. Thanks ARRL.....

1 person likes this.
  7. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was pleasantly surprised and pleased to hear that ARRL worked to improve your situations.

Re: HOAs , lived in more than a few due to work travel for decades, so clandestine hamming was my answer. This is why I read this forum, due to past issues. Now that I am retired, way out in a quiet rural area, we 'technically' have some land use restrictions, basically I might hear from them if I opened a strip mine or a pig farm on my one acre, otherwise there is no threat to my ham radio mania. I am thankful. The near zero RF noise out here is the best perk.

73 de Ray ..._ ._

AE8EM likes this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

My position on the matter is simple...
    I support reasonable antenna restrictions in HOA's.
    I do not support antenna bans in HOA's.

This is regardless if you are currently living in an HOA, or not living in an HOA. It affects everyone including any future perspective hams living inside an HOA, or if you intend to purchase at an HOA at a later time in the future. It does not just affect hams currently living in HOA's.

Let's be clear... The Amateur Radio hobby is a legitimate radio service intended for use by the general public and HOA's should not have regulatory authority over the matter, any differently than an HOA regulates cable, television, or Wi-Fi radio internet services provided for the general public inside an HOA. It is simply not within their scope of authority to regulate these services without any guidelines as directed by federal regulators. Banning outdoor antennas, simply for the sake of banning outdoor antennas even when they are safe and reasonable, serves no legitimate purpose or reason.

K2EIR, K0UO, W7ASA and 1 other person like this.
  9. KF5OXQ

KF5OXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

CHECK with the bozos who decided to forgive school loans at OUR cost...they may be sympathetic to voiding your mortgage at MY cost :)

K0TWA and W3SLK like this.
  10. KD5W

KD5W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I feel the same way

And interestingly enough there is a law that prohibits HOAs from restricting television antennas.

KC8VWM likes this.
  11. KD5W

KD5W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just want to re-iterate this, the ARRL is front and center on this issue! The Section Manager for ARRL in South Carolina, NJ4Z, is working with State Representatives to get this bill passed and was the one who organized the rally.

12. WA2TP

WA2TP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

what is the Goldwater bill? searches didn't resolve anything related.

13. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What does your personal pet peeve about being a resp0onsbile American paying for what you legally contracted for have to do with this topic about HOAs?

14. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Our problem is a bloated ARRL aristocracy that for its size and levels of expertise remain good little woke-filled executives.
    I have had more support from Senators than directly from the AARL staff ... time we cut down this oligarchy down to size.

The legal counsel does exactly what?

The Boards does exactly what?

The admin, writers and tech types do exactly what?

Time we demand as in any large business organization a Business Plan, Organizational Chart, and a Financial Disclosure of this once amateur organization.

15. W3SLK

W3SLK Ham Member QRZ Page

KD5W said:
    No, the person elected to the position for South Carolina hams is work with the state reps to get this bill passed. I would be hard pressed to believe that anyone from Newington has hardly taken noticed.
    W4JDY said:
    I get what he (KD4PBS) is saying. I don't like HOA's anymore than the next ham operator does. But I would find it like fighting City Hall if you bought into one that prohibited outside antennas and you wanted to change it. Make it contingent of your purchase otherwise don't go there.