ad: TinyPaddle-1

Solved: RF Interference from Dimmer Switches

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Sep 24, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great story, Mike. I am unable to listen to any AM radio at night right now because of the RF hash. But I still love AM radio DXing. It was one of the things that got me interested in radio, and ham radio.

Quin, K8QS, Co-Host, Ham Radio Perspectives--see the videos
    https://www.youtube.com/c/hamradioperspectives/videos

W4ABC likes this.
  2. K8QS

Okay, what about this story? You won't believe it.

START WATCHING AT 48 MINUTES IF THE TIME DOESN'T WORK. Q

KC0GAN, DO1FER and K4IBC like this.
  3. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Those stories are always good for a short "joke". Mostly no jokes, its real life, but nobody believe in. Especially shortwave and its propagation is good for surprises and mostly the author of those spooky fairy tales. And believe it or not, I got those stories too. It was around the turn of the millenium. I sat under the rooftop at another QTH in the past. I only had an inexpensive mobile antenna with a special coil which was an alloy of copper and silver. So I put on these antenna to a skylight which was in a plumb mounting. I turned on my 11M transceiver and I heard some words in english. So I thought that this is the standard thing of a sporadic-E in summer. And I listend to these words I received. And within several minutes I realized that I was first time all around the world with just 4W and F3E. The propagation made it possibel for me to get stations from Tambow in Russia up to the other side to Texas / USA. I didnt believed in the start those people I heard, but it was real. A special experience, because I didnt know anything about the solar maximum or something like that to that time. Its often the unknown things, which are fascinating the people. And so many people think its a lie. But real life writes the best storybooks.

4. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The german Bundesnetzagentur at work. Just for to show, how we handle those disturbances here. We can do it on our own, but often its not the best solution. The automatic generated subtitle for the english language by youtube should work.

K9RJ and N0TZU like this.
  5. VU2KOC

VU2KOC Ham Member QRZ Page

same thing happened with me fighting with QRM it was from cable TV junction box so I called to cable TV operator and told him replace and change the location of junction box then QRM gone thanks for informative video 73 de VU2KOC India

6. W0JMJ

W0JMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be quite an enjoyable job. Nice equipment!

In the US, someone could probably run a company and make a living finding interference. But most places over here have much less population density than over there, as I understand it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  7. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With a portable receiver and a small assortment of portable antennas, you can do your own DF'ing. It's not hard, just takes practice..

Russ

8. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe use aluminum foil to line the plastic box?

9. K8QS

10. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The FCC does not actually test almost any devices. They get reports from a testing lab, paid for by the manufacturer, which says they pass. If there are enough complaints about a specific device, the FCC will have it tested and when it does not pass give them time to correct it or take it off the market. Repeated violations will get a fine issued. But by that time the company is "gone", and the new company is making a slightly different device.

DO1FER likes this.
  11. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe they need to start cracking down on the labs, that “wink & nod” to the manufacturers then. Start hitting them with some big fines on devices they claimed they tested and were to spec, but were obviously not.

All it will take is a few labs being made examples of and I guarantee the rest of the labs will get the message.

KN6SD likes this.
  12. K8QS

All --

I just tracked down another new source of noise at one neighbor's home and am working on the stronger, more generalized noise in the neighborhood. More surprises in the Part 2 of this video. Stay tuned.

Quin, K8QS, Co-Host, Ham Radio Perspectives--see the videos
    https://www.youtube.com/c/hamradioperspectives/videos

13. G3WTA

G3WTA Ham Member QRZ Page

If your regulations are similar to over here you may find the products entering the market are different from the "type tested". For CE marking you can test one
    representative device then "certify" others using the "technical construction file route" and thereafter issue docs saying these products meet emc / safety specs.
    However how often do you find if you take a purchased sample and test it to find it fails compliance because the design changed. Testing is expensive so there
    are incentives for the less than scrupulous manufacturers from a certain area of the globe to cut corners or even avoid testing altogether, just affix a label and
    sell on the open market knowing there are not the resources to test devices ad hoc.

N0TZU and DO1FER like this.
  14. WB5UMG

WB5UMG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Appreciate your time & $ spent on this! Great info!
    WB5UMG

15. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s even worse than that. The cheaters often simply omit the RFI filter parts from the production units.