ad: Schulman-1

Solved: RF Interference from Dimmer Switches

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Sep 24, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Quin and Tom explain how to get rid of RF interference from dimmer switches used to control LED lights. A real story that involves neighbors, the power and cable-TV companies, and the largest maker of dimmer switches. From S9 to S2 noise. Real help for amateur radio operators. Here is the link to my original post on QRZ, when I thought the problem came from the TV cable rather than an electrical cable.

Quin, K8QS, Co-Host, Ham Radio Perspectives--see the videos
    https://www.youtube.com/c/hamradioperspectives/videos

Attached Files:

KW4WL, KC7MBJ, WB5UMG and 8 others like this.
  2. AA0RI

AA0RI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had a problem with bright LED bulbs with no dimmer in my own home, but when I turn them all off the noise is almost as bad. Arizona where I live currently has free solar systems for your home available, their charging circuits seem to be the problem. Field day our club got 25 cw contacts and 5 sideband contacts you couldn't do anything to improve the signal to noise ratio here. Thanks for your video, I really enjoyed it and because of all the led and voltaic noise around here I emphasize with you. 73, Chuck AA0RI

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2022
    N4FZ likes this.
  3. W5MBH

W5MBH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. K8QS

"For your part 2 issue. I found that the transformer powering my outside lights was doing the same thing. The lights were on/off by light sensor, but, the transformer was always powered up. It's a 'maybe that's it' for you."

Thanks, Jim. That is one of the issues I am investigating. I have had noise issues from neighbors' carriage lights on light sensors. Quin

5. K8QS

Chuck, what happens when you turn off the circuit breakers one by one? Can you locate the noise? Quin

6. N2MDA

N2MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have a problem with RF noise from dimmers, use the best quality Rf bypass capacitors like Cornell . An oscilloscope will help you see improvements with capacitor values. A capacitor decade box will help immensely, to find the best amount of RF bypass. The most important think of all to remember is to install the dimmer in a RF tight metal box. Plastic does not attenuate a RF signal. With RF bypassing and a metal enclosure, you will have the equivalent of the $79.00 dimmer from Lutron.

WD8EII, W7XLR and US7IGN like this.
  7. K8QS

Excellent, Bob. I was not able to make it work, partly because of plastic boxes. Quin

8. AA0RI

AA0RI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Quin,
    I couldn't get rid of it with all of them off except for the one powering the radio, I don't have battery capability but am considering it for the radio, I usually only have it running about 40 Watts to drive an amp except when using it bare. The amp might pick up the signal also as it is in the circuit whether being used or not although it's on a separate 240V line.

We held Field day in another location about a mile from my qth and it was even worse up there hence the lack of contacts.
    Thanks, Chuck

9. N8WI

N8WI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Informative. Bonus, you mention in passing causes LED light to flicker. Solved my daughters flickering LED problem. Thanks N8WI

10. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like the traffic control boxes, report them to the FCC and local authorities.

Never ever connect your radio grounds to computer component grounds.

Also, in your power strips, and added a MOV (cheaper than the subsequently cited capacitors) to their power line connection.

The real question is how these foreign manufactured devices are getting through type device inspections.

VE7GSZ, G3WTA, K6MCS and 3 others like this.
  11. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s what I am saying! o_O

K6MCS, KY8D and HB9EPC like this.
  12. WB4CL

WB4CL Ham Member QRZ Page

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Money Talks.

W7XLR and KE0GXN like this.
  13. WB4CL

WB4CL Ham Member QRZ Page

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Money Talks.

14. W0JMJ

W0JMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps the programing that Pro LED + Dimmer does finally settled in and got a little lazy......Perhaps it needs to be reset???.......... ;)

15. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I could have missed it, but I don’t think it was mentioned whether the LED bulbs were of the “dimmable” type, nor what brand, nor other details of them. Similarly I didn’t hear any detail about what was different in the Maestro Plus vs other dimmers.

I have dimmable type LED bulbs and the typical LED compatible dimmers and have no RFI problems. (I had previously used old style dimmers with dimmable LEDs and had no RFI, but they do not have good low light control.

I believe the typical LED compatible dimmers are zero voltage start and cut off the back end of the AC cycle rather than at the beginning like the old triac type for incandescent bulbs. What more is done with the Maestro Plus I don’t know.

When I get a little time I will verify that on my dimmers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    HB9EPC and W0JMJ like this.