Shutoff of WWV-WWVH: two days left to the end of the subscription

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IZ2EWV, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. K5WQH

K5WQH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Write your congress people. Easy to do. I have contacted both my Senators and Representative.

KC6ZKT and KK5JY like this.
  2. KM4TIN

KM4TIN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most newer systems use GPS ground stations and NTP time servers. But, I still feel there is a need for WWV. Any chance of getting private funding, say GoFundMe?

3. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It would seem like a good idea for a moderator to edit the very misleading title for this thread.

K5WQH and KK5JY like this.
  4. K4AVU

K4AVU Ham Member QRZ Page

There future for time service will be provided by satellites, that they are in service now providing that service. Paul K4AVU

5. WA7AXT

WA7AXT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And this is progress? Methinks not.
    We're in the 3 steps backward now.
    Can't wait for the 1 step forward; wait, where does that leave us?
    Already signed the petition. Can't believe there aren't thousands of signatures per hour.

VE7JMR and KC6ZKT like this.
  6. WA7AXT

WA7AXT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This (eventually shutting down wwv) is right up there with the public school system no longer teaching cursive handwriting (there's no funding for it ?). And, art, and music, who needs that stuff? And, why do we need pens or pencils? Soon, we won't need our hands anymore. There will be an "app" for them.
    How the heck are people going to "sign" a contract? Am i digressing? No. We need to control the technology, and maintain our humanity, and not let the technology dictate our humanity.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    VE6KXL, KC6ZKT and N0CEL like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

They can compete with their own Spratley based HF Woodpecker....

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

/sign here/

9. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, our society will become the service industry for the rest of the world. We just need to not forgot to put fries in their bag. Pay attention at who holds the skilled positions and who serves them next time your out.

KC6ZKT likes this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Even skilled work is up for grabs.

I have written a lot of software that automates away the jobs of skilled people, including other software engineers. Software that can write software is some of the easiest stuff to automate.

There is very little work that cannot be automated away, either in part, or completely.