ad: elecraft

Shutoff of WWV-WWVH: two days left to the end of the subscription

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IZ2EWV, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W0KRD

W0KRD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I signed it and anyone with a license should do the same. It is a great tool to quickly check your radios for accuracy and set your clocks. If there are other time and frequency standards I am not aware (maybe I need enlightening).

VE7JMR, KC6ZKT and KC4Q like this.
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

GPS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System) has been available to the public since the 1990s...
    It is beyond logic why anyone (who is aware of GPS) would want to maintain a dinosaur such as WWV[H], that is less effective and less useful. Maybe those people still use buggy-whips and typewriters.

K7JEM likes this.
  3. KM6DYO

KM6DYO Ham Member QRZ Page

You know, I'm a young ham and I can remember when I was little listening to the ticks of WWV. It's a shame that it may really be closing down. Whether it's tomorrow or a year from now, it's still a piece of amateur radio and radio in general that will be deeply missed.

Ryan
    KM6DYO

KQ7D, KC6ZKT, N2NH and 1 other person like this.
  4. W0CMW

W0CMW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well . my grandson is a lineman I'd like to see you automate that,( without elec.) We still have a lot of trades that a young person can get into that cannot be automated . All is not lost for the person who decides not to go to college and get into one of the occupations that are not possible to automate without changes to our total infrastructure . We as HAM's need to encourage our youngsters to do what they want in their lives without the fear of their jobs being "automated"

5. K5KUA

K5KUA Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The corresponding section from the link appears to be this:
    • On May 2, 2000 "Selective Availability" was discontinued as a result of the 1996 executive order, allowing civilian users to receive a non-degraded signal globally.
    I believe it was available to civil users before that, clear back into the 1980s -- just with much less accuracy.

7. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Things do change--a century ago learning Latin (and perhaps Greek) was expected of many college students. Still, one can go too far, and I believe shutting down these stations is a bad idea. Anyway, I've been teaching my grandchildren how to read dial clocks. They don't see them anymore. And they were fascinated by a rotary phone. But then I think about when I was a kid my father had to explain to me what a stick shift was, which meant also describing how a clutch worked. Such devices simply weren't part of my urban surroundings.

VE7JMR likes this.
  8. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The accuracy was degraded 10X from about 5 meters to 50 meters.

Back in the 80's, I used to work with one of the architects of GPS, Dr. James Spilker at his company Stanford Telecommunications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Spilker

He was quite a character back then and was an avid body building enthusiast. Sometimes he'd come to work all buttered up with tanning lotion. He also had fabulous trophy wife. Before I was hired at Stanford Telecom, I worked across the street. When Mrs. Spilker would come to visit Jim, she would park her Mercedes in the street right in front of the building. The sales guy who had an office up front would spot her and call the engineers in the lab. We'd all run up front and ogle her in her Spandex workout outfit as she walked in. Good times!

N2NH likes this.
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My point is that GPS is mature technology.

10. K8MGA

K8MGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the modern day self setting digital clocks use WWV signal to set themselves. If these stations shut down those clocks will no longer work by setting themselves. They need the WWV signal folks.

VE7JMR and KC6ZKT like this.
  11. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

They do (technically, it's the WWVB LF transmitter), and they are still on the market. I saw several at Walmart just this evening.

If they want to shut down WWVB, there needs to be a sunset period. First, the existing products need to be removed from the market. After that, there needs to be notice given that the transmitter will be shutting down in X number of years, which allows people to start replacing their clocks with something else.

FCC did something vaguely similar with DTV. They warned that the conversion would start and end by specific dates, and that gave both the market and consumers time to adapt.

The HF transmitters of WWV proper are another matter, and it has been a long time since I saw a consumer clock (or any grade of mass-produced clock) that set itself from the 100Hz subcarrier of WWV signals.

KX4O likes this.
  12. NO20CALLSIG

NO20CALLSIG Guest

well done IZ2EWV , Iam sure that guy critisising your English does not speak any foreign language at all !

W7UUU and N2NH like this.
  13. KF7WAG

KF7WAG Ham Member QRZ Page

Then when does It close down?

14. KF7WAG

KF7WAG Ham Member QRZ Page

It having been on for a century pretty much non-stop Is another reason To save It.

VE7JMR likes this.
  15. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some enterprising Amatuer radio club could keep this going. Maybe the ARRL could offer some support..

KK4NSF and KQ7D like this.