ad: Radclub22-1

Security Alert in HAM RADIO? WinAPRS HACKED

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Apr 8, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

As a former network security admin/technician I can attest that fact is irrelevant. LOL

I got a service call to a local attorney right after the covid mess started a few years ago. The NC courts began requiring attorneys to file all their cases online to reduce people in the courthouse. This particular attorney couldn't connect to the state courts system online to file his documents.

I BS you not. I got there and identified the problem within minutes. All the computers in his office...this is 2020 mind you...were running Windows 95.
    Man that sure took me back to when I was a kid. :)

Of course he squealed like a stuck pig when I told him he was gonna have to get new computers to keep practicing law in the modern world.

PD0JBV, KM6KPW and WN1MB like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

That's hilarious!

And all this time I thought I was a tightwad nursing a terminally ill Win98 system into 2002, when I finally got religion by test driving a Knoppix Live CD.

3. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah sorry to advise theres at least one guy that has you beat in the cheapskate competition and he charges clients $325 per hour. LOL
    I recently found Zorin. I LOVE IT!
    https://zorin.com/os/

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Isn't that just a reworking of Ubuntu?

Dave
    W7UUU

KD3Y likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Unix. :)

WB9YPA and KD3Y like this.
  6. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

Zorin is based on Ubuntu, which in turn is based on Debian.

KD3Y likes this.
  7. WB9YPA

WB9YPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't XP stand for Xtra Problems?

KD3Y likes this.
  8. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that was Windows ME

WB9YPA likes this.
  9. KM6KPW

KM6KPW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is an interesting topic as most Amateur radio software is focused on use of the sound card and handling the packets per the mode we are using. I use BPQ32 for my APRS software which has a large community and active development so there have been updates over the last few years. Like many others I use WSJT-X which is also receiving updates but the bigger question is if there are any holes that are being left open to an 'Over The Air' attack? Is security something that the authors of Amateur Radio software actually consider?

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hackers must really like to play with Remote Stun and Remote Kill. o_O

11. KD9JPW

KD9JPW Ham Member QRZ Page

What about Linux?

12. KD7CFM

KD7CFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I will just continue to be content having no computers in my house and no internet except this really marginal phone.
    I have to fight computers all day at work. I'll be dipped if I will touch one of the clock!
    (Well, this isn't entirely truthful. I do still run a Roland VS in my music studio. But the only thing it is connected to is my mixing console.)

KD3Y and WB9YPA like this.
  13. WB9YPA

WB9YPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that too.