ad: Radclub22-1

Saying goodbye to the Raspberry Pi?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Nov 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

First class video as always Julian, I’ve always used my Surface with my Radio’s but do nothing as complex as yourself. Most recently I’ve used it to run my Wires-X software for the PDN capability, you actually have no choice as the software is windows only. I think the surface is a great way to go and has great battery life.

I do want to say the things you have done with Raspberry Pi’s has been amazing and I have learnt so much from your videos. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing what configurations you come up with for the Surface.

1 person likes this.
  2. KD6IL

KD6IL Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KD6IL

My Pi400 keyboard will lock up if I run 100 Watts, which I never do, as I never talk.

100 Watts is on the high side for digital. Did you use a current balun and ladder line for your doublet?

http://n5rd.org/extra/doublet.pdf

4. KJ7QQG

KJ7QQG Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. Direct connect, used a tuner for SWR, and regular unbalanced coax to the antenna.

5. KD6IL

As an Extra you will enjoy reading the paper linked to below. It explains doublets very well.

Ten Frequently Asked Questions About the All Band Doublet.

http://n5rd.org/extra/doublet.pdf

(Sent on my ham shack computer, a raspberry pi400, running ham-pi 1.3.)

6. KJ7QQG

KJ7QQG Ham Member QRZ Page

I could never understand reactance/resistance, the different types of reactance, impedance, or any of the other complicated details pertaining to antenna matching. I just know the 1/4, 3/4, 5/4.... and so on rule for current stuff for matching and I let the tuner do the rest.

...Sorry.

7. K4RGN

K4RGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have two Pi's in the shack. One is a caching DNS proxy server for the house. The other runs my node on www.tarpn.net, a re-implementation of VHF-UHF packet radio.

K6CLS likes this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

With the recent influx of cheap micro computers no need to deal with the Pi and the SD card issues. Found pretty much anything you wanted to add or install was a chore and go help you if you didn't have internet access.
    Now I just keep an SSD with everything loaded. Any issues and I am right back at it.
    My several Pi's just collect dust. Most of the projects I have I can just use the Pico.
    Thanks Julian, informative as always.

KK9W and (deleted member) like this.
  9. OH8STN

OH8STN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks and agreed. I won't be dumping my Raspberry Pi anytime soon. It's definitely nice having an all-in-one solution for the field. Thanks for watching and for the comment.
    Julian oh8stn nice

10. OH8STN

You're very welcome. Thanks for watching and for the comment.
    Julian oh8stn

11. OH8STN

I'm not sure if that's true. Ultimately data mode operators need to simplify their systems. For a home station it's quite forgiving. Out in the field is another matter. The nice thing is there really isn't a right or wrong way. We deploy systems which fit our requirements. Thanks for the comment and for watching. It's very much appreciated.
    Julian oh8stn

WA7WJR likes this.
  12. OH8STN

That's really a bummer. Most of the problems had with a Raspberry Pi were able to be sorted. I've never heard of anything that bad. One lesson learned with the Raspberry Pi was to keep all of the wires as short as possible. Anyway, these type of problems are exactly the reason I decided to use a all-in-one solution versus the pieced together Raspberry Pi.
    Hopefully you can figure out the problem then come back and share the solutions with us. Thanks for sharing your story.
    Julian oh8stn

13. OH8STN

Thank you for watching.
    Julian oh8stn

14. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone tired of their PI send it on over. I dont have one yet and have a use for one.

KN8DAP likes this.
  15. K9RDU

K9RDU Ham Member QRZ Page

7 HTs in your picture. No wonder you don't have cash for a $40 computer. ;)

VY2JS, K6MCS and KC7JNJ like this.