ad: TinyPaddle-1

Saying goodbye to the Raspberry Pi?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Nov 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4TML

K4TML Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="

The only thing I can conclude is that either the Pi, or the keyboard and mouse are not ok with hi density of RF.[/QUOTE]

I had much the same problem with the two RPi 4B's that run my shack. The solution was to buy two Bud die-cast aluminum Econoboxes with flanged lids, have a machinist friend mill the cutouts in the end and sides,
    being sure to leave adequate clearance for the connectors. I also put a 6-32 stud and thumbnut in the lids. After mounting the Pi and TNC hats and closing up the cases, the enclosures were bonded to the ground strap in the
    rack with tinned RG-58 braid. I used sheilded CAT-5 for the ethernet and DB-9 lines, and shielded cables for audio in/out, all shields bonded to the shack's one-point ground with silver-bearing solder. The Pi's are controlled
    from a small form factor Slackware PC at the operating position over X sessions.
    RPI's are a small wonder, but one has to remember that they were designed as a cheap, bullet-proof learning platform for kids.

2. K5TED

K5TED Ham Member QRZ Page

Started out digital field radio comms with a HP Netbook. Blech.. RF noisy and battery hog. Quickly switched to a Macbook Air 2011 running Windows. Tried a Surface 3 with cellular and haven't looked back. It lives in a UAG case with screen protector. Tried a Surface 4 but it was overkill and a battery hog. Best thing about the S3 is USB power.

Have not tried the newer versions yet.