ad: Alphaant-1

REVIEW NEW BAOFENG TP-8PLUS usb c charging!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7HVR, Oct 28, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are even more Chinese because they're built across the same RDA1846. Same as IC-T10, etc.

BTW did someone hear about Chinese new star Quansheng K5/K6/K5(8)? At least they have 18-1300MHz TX/RX incl. AM RX, and they have less ugly user interface than 'classic' Baojunk. Sure this TX range is practically useless since the amp and filters cannot operate far out of 'standard' VHF/UHF bands properly. Still, one may try 220MHz. They're sold for about $15 with 'free' international shipping depending on particular marketplace (sorry, I won't post any ad). Unlike Junkfeng these support firmware upgrade so they can be flashed with a modded one. K5's huge benefit over 'classic' Baojunk is definitively less slow scanning speed that is, unlike Baojunk's, almost usable. Otherwise, it is the same toy built across Transceiver-on-the-Chip (BK4819) with no appropriate filtering but not the real radio. If one spends one's time in rural area with no RFI, this toy should work.

WR3V and KR3DX like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is my findings. I found out the hard way. You can soft brick your radio.

Maybe even hard brick a radio using a Model in Chirp that does not match your radio version. Seems every batch run can be different, Hardware and firmware.

I am not sure what all models contain important information in Memory 0 (Zero) location. You can see for yourself.

Out of the box Memory 0 appears to be blank. The first frequency used is memory #1.

You can do a Memory read and examine the .IMG file and see the Header Info.

That is the location that is hacked to enable Out of band transmit and things of that nature.

Fun Stuff.

3. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

My findings are that Memory channel 0 is just like any of the other 127 memory channels on a UV-5R and UV-82 (both made in 2013-2014 with firmware that old).
    It doesn't have special properties. The lower and upper frequency limits aren't stored in memory channels. Just because Ch 0 is blank from the factoy means nothing. They come with 18 or so preprogrammed channels and the rest are blank. If Ch 0 is special then why is there no documentation anywhere to avoid using it?

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Use what works for you. :)

I have played with over 10 different models.

I avoid messing with channel 0, There are plenty of other memory channels to use.