ad: k1jek

REVIEW NEW BAOFENG TP-8PLUS usb c charging!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7HVR, Oct 28, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got the new baofeng TP-8Plus similar to the uv13 pro but fcc approved
    I think this one is a big deal because it has 999 memories and USB C charging port on the battery! I think that will be a game changer for the cheap Chinese market.
    Here is my review of this radio thank you guys for watching and supporting my channel.

Attached Files:

K7MPV, HK3ORE, CU3AU and 4 others like this.
  2. W9JTC

W9JTC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the GMRS version of this radio (GM-15). I know the TYT TH-UV88 drop in charger works. Same basic radio. I recommend a Nagoya NA-701 or NA-771 for better range.

TA3GSY and KG7HVR like this.
  3. KJ7QNP

KJ7QNP Ham Member QRZ Page

But does the TP-8Plus perform any better? At this point I would rather put my $30 in the cookie jar and save for a better radio, I already have the UV-5RTP and the UV-S9, both have awful receive even with an external antenna.

KB6HG, KO4LGM, W7DCM and 2 others like this.
  4. KG7HVR

Rx is much better than my uv5r. Speaker sounds good, more bass. Other people have said same on YouTube. I can tell a difference. My UV5r picks up more static and noise from a weak signal. Tx audio sounds good also. I used my ft991a yaesu to monitor it. There's better stuff out there but it cost more.

KB6HG, TA3GSY and KJ7QNP like this.
  5. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the scanning speed? Scanning in radios like UV-5R/UV82/etc. is so slow that almost equals absolute zero.
    USB charging and more memories both are good no doubt, especially USB charging that seems to be available literally everywhere including power sources like portable solar panels. Still, I personally hate non-standard keyboard layout and absence of rotary encoder. Also, I didn't notice dedicated Memory/VFO button that I personally would wish any radio to have.

So unlike UV-5R, does it have some front-end filtering or whatever else in its circuits to increase the receiver's dynamic range? Or is your report about perceived sound quality only?

KR3DX and TA3GSY like this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

(rolls eyes)
    Another unboxing video. Save your time for a cup of coffee.

W4MWV, K0LWC, N7ZDR and 13 others like this.
  7. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like to know about programming with this radio. My limited experience with Baofengs has not been good. On the small mobile I have, it takes about 8 steps to program one memory channel. Even when I want to use it simplex, just plugging in the receive frequency does not automatically input the corresponding transmit frequency. On the one handheld I bought, the Chirp software said it was programmed and when I turned the radio on, all it did was buzz. I could not get it to clear the programming either using the reset instructions. That was a $25 gamble I lost on. I'm not sure I want to roll the dice for another $32 on this gizmo. These radios may be really cheap but so far, every Yaesu handheld I have had worked flawlessly from day one. Is an FT-4XR worth another fifty bucks? What little hair I have left on my head says "yes" so I won't be pulling it out after trying to program and use a Baofeng, Pao Fung, etc.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    KR3DX and NU4R like this.
  8. KG7HVR

It seems to have better filtering. Scan seemed OK not super

UT7UX likes this.
  9. KG7HVR

It's not. I've tested it and put it on a watt meter. How's that a unboxing. Oh wait, you didn't watch it lol

K4SAX, W7DGJ, W4RWS and 5 others like this.
  10. KG7HVR

For you I would pass on this one. It's not supported by chirp . And the software that came with mine wasn't the one for radio. In the comments on chirp for the TP-8Plus uv13 pro uv15 there's a guy who's uploaded the software that was pulled from abbree. Cn download page. Uv5r would be a safer bet for less advanced users.
    The yaesu is better than a UV5r but software cost extra. I've programmed mine manually. I don't like the menus on the ft4x but it has a 3 year warranty. I can't really say yes or no. I think the bigger ft60r might be ok. The ft4x is very small.

K7IQ likes this.
  11. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

You opened a box. Fumbled around with the rig. I stopped right there,..imo value added for my time ... zip. YMMV.

W4MWV, KB2MBC, W3AMT and 2 others like this.
  12. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, absolutely. The FT-4XR is easy to program from the keypad, it's intuitive and you can tell that it was designed with hams in mind. Most of the operations are simple and well thought-out, with a minimum of frustration, unlike the convoluted, frustrating, insane nightmare of the Chinese radios. As far as programming software, it's available for free on the Yaesu website, it could use some improvement, but it's way better than struggling with chirp or some other generic application. The FT-4XR transmit frequencies can also be "opened up" with a few keystrokes, no modifications to the circuitry are required. Do yourself a favor a get the Yaesu.

KB6HG, KO4ULT, KL7KN and 1 other person like this.
  13. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

NY4Q, KC1SFQ, W3AMT and 4 others like this.
  14. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I watched, had to skip boring intro. That's why I personally prefer written text with photos instead of video. Anyway your video is much better than average as average video lasts no less than half hour and has much less sense so please accept this kind of criticism rather like a praise. ;)

US7IGN, KG7HVR and KR3DX like this.
  15. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have the BF-F8+ and chirp programs it with no problems. Programing one manually is a pain.

KB6HG and N8TGQ like this.