ad: ProAudio-1

Retevis RT90 Mobile Dual Band DMR Mobile Radio Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by BH6PJL, Feb 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N1WLD

N1WLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I own, and sell, TYT 9600's. This Retevis is the same radio, and it's more than $100 higher price than the TYT.
    And for the "Chinese Junk" haters......... There are at least 20 9600's in operation in my area. They sound better than most of the big three models, and I've had zero returns. The early versions (1 & 2) had some issues. By version 3 they had been resolved. Also, don't forget, it wasn't that long ago it was the "Jap Junk"!

KC1KVU and KK4HPY like this.
  2. K9NYO

K9NYO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a TYT MD9600 and I echo the above statement. As long as you have the later version of the firmware it is a great radio. I can hit DMR repeaters on my commute in the Chicago area, so having a mobile DMR is perfect—no need for a hotspot or mobile broadband. The 9600 is also what I use to monitor analog repeaters while I operate HF on my FT-857D, which is my main mobile radio. The only drawback to this radio is that it doesn’t have a remote control head.

3. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yikes!
    Thanks

4. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams are spending far too much time crying over "unapproved chinese junk" (as if "Motorola" is the only legitimate radio manufacturer - hihi!) .... when one of the greatest benefits of our licenses is the fact that we can pretty much put anything on the air we can get our hands on .... heck, half of the "homebrew" stuff we hams transmit with would be "unapproved junk" if FCC approval was required before keying up. That's the thing; it ain't. Our only problem is that whatever we *do* put on the air had better be in compliance with Part 97 or ELSE. These Chicom radios don't quite meet the standards in either part 90 or part 15 .... primarily because any old mommy's basement freebander can program them with the "free programming cable" and away they go. (example: the "10 watt HT" set up on FRS channels, removable antenna, wideband mode, etc, etc) - No "radio shop" required. That is the stuff that the FCC takes a dim view of. I am surprised at how few amateurs actually get this ... but then, the hobby/service *has* been watered down a bit with the end of the CW requirement, hasn't it? :)

KK4HPY likes this.
  5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was understanding that post Up^there until the watered down remark came. Heck I'm a newbie getting a novice in 1980, 5word tech in 1985. I think more of the older guard don't quite get things.

K9CTB likes this.
  6. PY2RN

PY2RN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one RT-90 GPS version, the GPS works intermittent, even under clear sky. RETEVIS does not provide any support, they are limited to ask to look for the seller :(

7. KB9KQU

KB9KQU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, yes. & now you amply demonstrate your ignorance.

8. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

No offense meant at all - in fact the "smiley face" was what I used because there was no "tongue firmly planted in cheek" emoji!! Honestly, as a 13 wpm extra class, I'm probably one of the more watered down guys on this forum. I could never copy 20 well enough to pass the test legitimately.

9. KN4MPC

KN4MPC Ham Member QRZ Page

So since a few of you guys have these maybe someone can answer a question.
    I don't think I'd use it for in car use because the screen looks like one of those that would fade and not show well when very cold, not really a fan of the display actually but may be ok for a home use base station.
    So the questions are...
    Have the fixed the pops I've read about?

Also I read that you can't lock out the A or B band unless you do it in the software. Is that true?
    There are times when I'm listening to something on my HT on one band and people start ragchewing on the other band. I have a button mapped to turn off the band that isn't the main one at that time. Does this radio not allow it?
    I guess you can get around it by switching to the other band you don't want to hear to a dead channel.

Any word on any new mobile DMR radios coming out other than the AnyTone? I wouldn't mind an XPR5550 but the cost and having to have someone program it stinks but everyone I've heard speak on one sounds a little better. Not sure $500 better though :D

10. KC3EWY

KC3EWY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well spoken…………….. I have no sympathy for those that want to use the radios for purposes that it isn't intended for. Seems that most have forgotten that DMR was a commercial thing before us hams decided to adopt is for our use.

KD9JMQ and N8VIL like this.