ad: Alphaant-1

Retevis RT90 Mobile Dual Band DMR Mobile Radio Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by BH6PJL, Feb 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WB2YMU

WB2YMU Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course...in the American business world...the keyword...PROFIT....if they can't make a profit a little above the production cost it is not worth building the radio....boo hoo….and you are right...they need to get with the program!!!!...D-star, Fusion etc is good, but DMR is growing like a storm...!!!

2. W2TH

W2TH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree on CS800D. I have one in my car now and I'm not impressed with it at all. It is the only dual band DMR rig with a remote head which is why I decided to give it a try. It has quirky firmware and then they yanked the wide band coverage on one of the firmware updates rendering it useless for my GMRS use. So now I'm stuck with the last version of firmware until, if at all, the radio goes through type acceptance process with the FCC. Good grief.

KV4BL likes this.
  3. KI5CQG

KI5CQG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, seems to be a rebrand of TYT. Even the CPS is very similar and firmware versions appear to be identical.

MSRP at $359 seems a bit pricey. I purchased the TYT MD-9600 in mid January 2019 and paid $232 plus sales tax and free shipping.

Radio came with RX/TX set at 150-160MHz but got that resolved with some factory programming software. Other than that issue, the MD-9600 has worked perfectly on VHF and UHF as well as DMR via my hotspot.

4. KN4MPC

KN4MPC Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W2TH

W2TH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really hope the delays are from the many complaints about no remote head option. Perhaps they are incorporating this into the radio before final release. I have the 868 and its way better than the connect systems branded radios as well as the TYT stuff I've had.

6. KN4MPC

KN4MPC Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be ideal. A remote head is definitely needed along with a slightly bigger screen IMO. I'm normally not a beta tester but I think if it had that I'd be a day one buyer. Being able to use the code plug I wrote for my 868 would mean I could be up and running in no time.

KV4BL and W2TH like this.
  7. NI4Y

NI4Y Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KD9JMQ

KD9JMQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is mainly directed for The Digital DMR mode (programmable thru a PC) , it doesn't have a VFO to directly input frequency on the fly, this is the inconvenience of it and once in DMR mode
    you cannot switch Zones if the frequency you're on, is busy . Depends how you program it. I guess some Hams Have A lot of money and they like to pay $$$$ for a radio, and if something is affordable for the new hams, they consider it Chinese Junk, (living in the past), It's not aYAESU or an ICOM ( ...) never the less it Work Great (it's not Cheap), and for the people saying it's junk, they won't know the Difference when they hear it on the Air unless they ask: what radio you are using?
    There were some issues with earlier Chinese Radios. But since, they came a long way, and they're better in Quality than before, specially for US market.
    This Radio works well, It has all the Specs ... Search before you buy...Read.. time would tell how long it would last. A Good Radio is A Good Radio wherever it comes from. 73..

KK4HPY, KB9KQU, W9JTC and 1 other person like this.
  9. KV4BL

KV4BL Ham Member QRZ Page

I fully agree! A TMV71 with DMR capability would be quite awesome. Unfortunately, Kenwood has signaled a desire to go with dying and increasingly out-dated technology by making the TH-D74 ht with D-STAR, rather than infintely more useful and user-friendly DMR.

D-STAR sounds like absolute crap in comparison with DMR and is an unnecessary hassle to get registered on.

We can hope!

KB9KQU and W2TH like this.
  10. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

More unapproved FCC Chinese $h!( !!
    DMR is junk.

11. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The FCC approval has been linked to twice in this thread. Twice.

Your DMR statement is simply your opinion, which is fine...but still just your little opinion.

KB9KQU, 4X1ST and K3SZ like this.
  12. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

your is even smaller!

13. N7IBC

N7IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I meant to say, "re-branded" TYT MD-9600 in my first reply.

Pressing P4 does nothing on the 9600.

14. BH6PJL

BH6PJL Ham Member QRZ Page

15. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DMR has out grown D-Star that has an older 4800bps data stream vs 9600bps DMR, C4FM/Fusion Data Stream. Fusion on the other hand has more Razor handles and Razor blades out on the market in use then DMR has. $189 Dual band FTM-7250 mobiles and $139 FT70D HTs with their popular DR1X repeaters... I have all three modes but use Fusion the most, then DMR. I Keep D-star for those cities I travel to that are still stuck in D-star or to talk to my friends in Florida.

Yes I know DMR can have 2 channels on the same 9600 data stream, but Fusion can have twice the Voice HiFidelity on the same channel. I have 3 MD-380, they do not sound like the good Moto XPR HT radios I also have for DMR. MD-380s tend to have 2 problems. They are offset from batch to batch, and why one OpenSpot setup for your MD-380 wont even key up with your friends MD-380, and you have to run a DMR calibrate on them.

Moto DMR radios do not have that problem. The second problem is they tend to SOUND LOUD and over modulated, and the old DMR group keeps telling the users to turn AGC off, but they do not have an AGC Mic setting in the CPS like Moto radios. That can make listening to a DMR talk group an effort. You keep adjusting the volume up and down between good talking radios and folks over modulated.

It can also affect Fusion Muli-Mode-Link groups, that are cross linked to DMR Talk Groups. You can tell the overmod folks very quickly. The D-Star links do not over modulate, just once in a while the older D-star radios with old AMBE 1 chips will R2D2 bad and Ouch my ears ;)

W1FVB likes this.