Radio Wavz New RW705 Portable Antenna Kit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Jun 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You didn't specify commercially available radios. And I guess, as you again didn't specify, that kits don't qualify as "commercially available radios."

Pedantry muscle? pffft!

M1WML, 2E0TWD and AE0Q like this.
  2. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought by specifically naming radios that were not user-assembled kits my point was clear. If we have to resort to articulating every possible permutation, we're going to be here a while. :)

Anyway, the original point being we're kind of in a golden age of portable QRP where a person can walk into their local HRO/DXE/Gigaparts (did I leave out any?) and have several options for portable radio. When I bought my 817 14 years ago, that was the only commonly available choice in a brick and mortar store (before you start, my local HRO doesn't sell enough components to homebrew anything beyond a wire antenna). Even the Icom 703, still in product at the time I think, wasn't on the shelf there. Now when I go, I can get an 818, 705, Xiegu G90, and theoretically a Lab599 Discovery (perpetually OOS at HRO). I can go to Elecraft and get a KX2 or KX3, or to LNR for a MountainTopper. There are others, but I think that covers the most commonly available choices.

So, while the subject of the OP is overpriced, it's nice to have options for people who may not want to fiddlefart around with stuff and just get on the air. That some people may overpay for something today doesn't impact my enjoyment of amateur radio and may present me with an opportunity to buy cool kit at discount prices when they sell their rig for the new hotness (which is how I got my KX2!).

Chris

M1WML and US7IGN like this.
  4. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Im not dragging all that crap on a 15 mile 4k foot elevation gain hike.

KX2 with internal battery and atu and a couple pieces of wire... done.

M1WML, US7IGN, K6MTS and 7 others like this.
  5. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bought a very nicely made 49:1 transformer for £30 new and add some wire and I am good to go. I guess each to their own when judging what is value but me I am a tightwad :). Just a shame that the eyesight and fingers are not up to winding toroid's !

M1WML and K4MID like this.
  6. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If ya got the money, spend it on what you want. Personally, I am happy going portable with my FT-891 and a 20-meter dipole with the ability to add wire to it to make it a 40/15 meter dipole. (I just use 14 gauge female/male connectors to add to the 20 meter dipole to make it 40/15. I can do this up to 80 meters).

Since I never leave home without my antenna analyzer I do not really care about a tuner. I will adjust the dipole once I am at the site. Just add a battery and some snacks. Everything fits in a simple day pack.

I would never ever spend 130 bucks for some wire.

7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

heh! Agreed. And options are good.

I just hate to see newcomers hoodwinked into thinking that commercially manufactured antennas are The Way to go.

An antenna is basically just some metal that conducts electricity and radiates RF. In the case of the product in the OP, it happens to be insulated wire. Whoop-de-do and fancy that! Even at today's escalating copper prices, $130 will still buy a lot of wire - unless you're talking multi-multi-strand, ultra flex weave, super strong kevlar and super slippery teflon coated stuff.

I should just admit to having the dinosauric belief that fiddlefarting, though not spelled out verbatim in FCC Part 97 or ARRL publications, is still an integral part of ham radio. Or amateur radio. Or HAM, hAm, or whatever.

At least a few of us still fiddlefart around:

https://wb3gck.com/tag/antenna/

https://robs-blog.net/category/amateur-radio/construction/antennas/

https://www.qrz.com/db/k2mij

"If it's metal, load it up." - Rod Newkirk, W9BRD

KA2FIR and SA3BOW like this.
  8. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What's next?

A ground rod "specially designed" for use with a particular rig?

Or maybe a chair specially designed for you to sit on while you're operating a particular rig?

How about a shirt specially designed for you to wear while operating such-and-such rig?

The possibilities are endless....and very, very tiresome.

US7IGN and WN1MB like this.
  9. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

The chair is against the wall………

W9HJ likes this.
  10. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea, copy that. It's a brave ham that can admit to spending that much on a WIRE antenna. Take a look at Tim's website at www.n6cc.com