ad: Flexradio-1

Radio Ham interviewed about Fractal antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's in the green, if you're the manufacturer. That's fun as well.......

Ask W1YW.

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You have built a 13 element 2 meter Yagi that is as good as a commercial one?

Or a dual band vertical in a fiberglass radome that not only looks, but works great?

I have fun with both store bought and home brew antennas. Sure, I can make a dipole that works world wide on 20 meters, but to home brew a Yagi like the 13 element Cushcraft I have would be a chore, and likely never last near as long. If you can do as good as Cushcraft or Mosley, my hat's off to you.....but I want pics for proof!!

Try to home brew something like this:

[​IMG]

This is one of W8SS's towers. The entire tower rotates. I had the great fortune to meet Joe and do some work in the control building at the base of the tower.

For fun, look up his call and you will see why this is the tower from Hell.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  3. K6FAF

K6FAF Guest

AND????

Wow.......
    I just started thinking I was out of the big aluminum use loop.
    So there REALLY is something beyond Yagi et alia???
    With wide bandwidth AND gain? Or did I misread this whole thread?
    Can we construct a Moonbounce 2m 4 over 4 now as a 17 ele Parabeam?

Who owns this company? Please call me, I have some very interesting ideas...

HNY de k6faf, Hans:):eek:

4. K8MHZ

Who owns what company?

The tower is a rotating monopole and I don't know who designed or built it. All the Yagi antennas on the tower are commercially made. I don't know the manufacturer but here is what is on the tower:

I sure would like to see someone home brew something like that.

My response was aimed at the poster that couldn't understand how a ham could have fun with commercially constructed antennas. If you couldn't have fun with the stuff on Joe's monopole, then ham radio isn't your bag.

5. K6FAF

K6FAF Guest

And add HF and VLF

:eek:
    And........

no doubt about the technology, but...

why do we do all these links leading into commercial backgrounds or directly into it?

I would like to see facts, not commercials.
    OOOps.....

Did I tread on somebody's toes??????

Must be....

HNY to ye all my fellow ham operators with the right DX spirit:)
    :cool::p

6. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark: Another interesting approach would have been an n/n/n log periodic dipole array. That might have given him 20m, 18m, 15m, 12m, and 10m. With possibly less aluminum investment. And, it would have looked like less of a minagerie than the interspersed, 3 band Yagi-Uda affair.

7. K6FAF

K6FAF Guest

Actually,

that was not what I was pointing at, as much I am desperate to have something BIG as that, congrats to the owner, but ....

my point was:

No Commercials in a thread......
    or is that accepted by QRZ.COM?

Hans, k6faf..

8. K8MHZ

Where did you get the idea that they weren't?

9. K8MHZ

Lee,

I think what you are seeing is the fruit of a work in progress.

When I was there, there weren't as many antennas.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys,

Not me.

I didn't make this thread into a commercial. But as we have two cranks (not K8MHZ) on here--my opinion--that have hijacked the thread,I hope some of you appreciate that my usual good cordiality seems often out of place.

Many thanks for the dozens of emails and I again wish every one a wonderful 2011. Hope to work you on the bands!

Chip W1YW

11. VK6YSF

VK6YSF Ham Member QRZ Page

2M fractal element antenna.

For me 2m has always been a good band for antenna experimentation as the physical sizes are relatively small and my AIM 4170C antenna analyser is only good to about 160 MHz.

Looking forward to the article.

Cheers and all the best for the New Year

Peter

http://members.optushome.com.au/vk6ysf/vk6ysf/main.htm

12. K4WGE

K4WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Learn from history

A similar statement was made on August 4, 1999. How did that turn out?

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I regret that I cannot provide reprints for the ham articles I wrote--over a dozen on fractal antennas and construction-- from 1995-1998. The ARRL now provides the QEX/Comm Quarterly DVD's where some of those articles appeared. I have not previously allowed republication, but if the League gets requests, I am sure there would be no issues in my approving authorization for future batches of the DVD's. These were held because of a copyright issue. That is, over IP. No other reason.

There really was little interest from hams over the last 10 years or so, so I canned other articles. Low interest meant no article. There does seem to be bona fide 2M interest NOW, as I have over 3 dozen emails from Techs expressing just that, all in the last few days. I never had that before--only what some so-called 'gurus' thought hams wanted.

Interest from the DIY HDTV antennae dwarfs ham interest by many, many fold. Surprised? What this means is that hams may think they hold the bead on antenna experimentation, but in practice, most hams buy their antennas and do not build them from scratch. I honestly think there are more people building TV antennas right now than, say, 160M or 80M ham ones. I never would have believed that if I hadnt seen it myself.

They (HDTV DIY's) are not building *optimized* fractal designs, but do report, quite voluminously, improved performance with their modest fractal approaches. There are hUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of Youtube views on their videos. Amazing. What's the most you've seen on any ham videos?I've had a lot of fun watching and helping the HDTV'ers move forward when they get stuck. They have been extraordinarily friendly and courteous. This is one of the reasons I have not brought up the ham stuff, as I have been busy with that amateur experimentation community.

Hams just don't go beyond wire dipoles for the most part. We buy the books but we really dont do much building nowadays, at least in a relative way. I've always been puzzled by this: kind of like the foodie who reads gourmet magazines but opens a can of tuna for dinner :)

Some folks have actually emailed me asking for a VIDEO for construction INSTEAD of an article. Of course, that's a clever idea. As you can see at:

http://fractenna.com/whats/whats.html

we are quite adept at videos as conveying information. Please email me at my Zed bio address to express your preferences for a video instead of an article --or both. We have a great staff that does a super job on videos.

73 to all,
    W1YW in BLIZZARDY Belmont

14. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

deleted due to unknown, coincidental response.....

15. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank the FCC and Congress for that. With CC&Rs prohibiting virtually anything visible, hams and 'wanna-bes' have their hands tied behind their backs.

Perhaps, with your primarily planar designs, you could team up with Johns Manville, Owens-Corning or someother roofing manufacturer and imbed your fractals in a roofing product. Who knows, you might sell a few good shingles.

I would beg to differ. Oh, perhaps not fundamental, new work. But, even with copper at $4.25 a pound, many of us still bend and string wire. And, aluminum for VHF applications.

For example, Allen Bond, WB4GNT, over at Max-Gain Systems in Marietta, GA offers quite a line of fiberglass tubing in concentrically coordinated sizes. One can use copper tape, smaller gauge wire, and such, in combo with fiberglass for support for various implementations if the metal cost is an issue. http://maxgain4u.com

I liked reading Roy Lewellan's linked above comment to you back in 1999 about collinears being superb antennas. Compressing the height of the vertical e-field is where it's at. Three to five half-wave vertical colinears are superb VHF antennas. You just have to learn how to make and tune stubs and 4-to-1 baluns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.