ad: QSLWorks-1

Radio Ham interviewed about Fractal antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am an active Zed participant. I don't seem to recall any evidence that I ever took these positions. In fact, I strongly deny your assertion. Here is my position:

BPL: Interesting, multi faceted approach. Hundreds + of hams employed in that industry. Industry well aware of ham concerns and successfully dealing with it.

BPL Interference: Please demonstrate at least ONE INTERFERENCE CASE FROM A FIXED HAM STATION before the FCC. Now. 2010.

BPL Future: Unknown. One of several options in 2010. Most likely BPL becoming a 'remote sensor' option, rather than an internet delivery mechanism . This means that required BW may be far less than that used in real time internet. It also means that if that option plays out, BPL will be ubiqitous, especially in rural areas.

Ham radio needs to remain agnostic to outside technologies. If they operate legally, then its not a ham issue. If they operate illegally, then make the case. That's how the system works at the FCC. :)

I do have concerns that when a few hams pick and choose technologies, such as BPL, and go wacko over them, that they jeopardize hams in that industry--in other words, those who are trying to *help* in the first place.

Being aware of interference is everyone's concern, and I will continue to educate those who are misinformed or hyperbolic with respect to it. I am sorry if you do not have respect for informed opinions along those lines. Frankly, I always welcome informed debate and exchange on these very issues. That includes you, OM :)

Incidentally, could we stop the silliness I often see (go look at google) that I hate the ARRL? I was down in Newington two weeks ago and had a delightful visit. I certainly do NOT hate the ARRL.

Hope this helps.

Chip W1YW

2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Er, no, that's not the way it works. Sure, in theory, if the FCC were to enforce its rules and regulations equitably and fairly, it would work that way.

One set of standards for its friends and lobbyists, yet another for the rest of us.

3. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

The results of one manufactured fractal antenna product displayed performance characteristics similar to a shortened, wide-bandwidth antenna: Significant loss across a wide frequency bandwidth. The chart was found at http://www.fractenna.com

I've always been fascinated by planar arrays. And, fractal antennas are often planar implementations on aircraft surfaces.

Fractal Antennas is W1YW's (ex-N1IR's) firm. Or, at least it used to be.

4. VK6YSF

VK6YSF Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Peter,

I am surprised how much interest there is for 2m, and am going to write up an article accordingly. The first fractal element antenna was on 2M. And yes, the objective is definitely to make one for others to experiment with.

Best in the New Year,
    Chip W1YW

6. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Fractal Antennas

Hey, did you ever consider making an antenna construction project using fractal techniques for the general ham population to build experimental antenna projects? I would be interested in trying out some of the techniques, if you built a fractal antenna that would work on 146, 222 and 440. Maybe, even 1290.
    Just a thought.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks John,

That is the consensus and I am happy to oblige on multiband VHF/UHF. I will be writing things up late Winter.

Happy New Year and best in '11,
    Chip W1YW

8. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip was kind enough to design a 40M fractal wire antenna a couple of years ago. It's imbedded in a QRZ thread response somewhere. Perhaps if he'd care to repost it for all here to see, it might be of interest to some with abbreviated antenna space. Although as I remember, it required some guying which might be a challenge for some. I believe K3VR asked for the design.

If I knew where it was in the QRZ database, I'd link it. Perhaps Chip recalls and could post it.

9. K4WGE

K4WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Much obliged if someone could tell me what this antenna design is...read it carefully: it says nothing about being a fractal antenna--only an alleged trademark calling it that. Were you confused? Welcome your public feedback.

Not my design. I would never make an inefficient antenna with a required ATU. What's the point?

Chip W1YW

11. K4WGE

K4WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Answers to your questions

For more information or to arrange a technology demonstration, please contact:

email: info@fractus.com

Fractus Headquarters
    Avda. Alcalde Barnils, 64-68
    Sant Cugat del Vallés
    08174 Barcelona
    Spain
    Tel. +34 935 442 690
    Fax +34 935 442 691

12. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder why a discone, with just under unity gain itself, would not have made a superb, ultra-widebandwidth antenna as opposed to the Fractus antenna. Especially if under a radome for element protection.

The strange geometry of fractals makes one question the physical realizability if not planar. On things like aircraft skins, bottle caps, etc.

As a sidenote, I seem to recall that the fractal antenna was patented by one Nathan Cohen, PhD., and there have been patent jumpers before. Does this Fractus firm pay royalities to Fractenna?

13. N8WWM

N8WWM Ham Member QRZ Page

That loud noise you are hearing is the lineup of tens of millions of purchasers fighting each other to get one.

14. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's another way to put it .:D

15. K7ZZY

K7ZZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Some hams buy antennas rather than make their own?
    What fun is there in doing that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.