ad: MLSons-1

Question about a QRZ fourm

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by KD9TED, Feb 9, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD9TED

KD9TED Ham Member QRZ Page

Do I have to be a subscriber to view/post on the politics and religion fourm?
    I saw at the top a post from W7UUU that said the fourm was closed, but I couldn't read it to know if it was closed for good or just to certain people.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

No one can post there. It's closed

When it was open, you had to be a Platinum or Lifetime member to post there.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KD9TED

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I saw your post that it was closed, but like said I wasn't sure if it was for good or just to certain people.

Why was it closed? Makes me less likely to become a subscriber, doesn't seem like it gets me much.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

It was closed because it wasn't frequented by more than about 16 political zealots (half on "one side" and half on "the other") so it wasn't worth the hassles of keeping it open. They just spent all day posting competing memes and YouTube videos to try to fling poo at each other.

No adult-like discussions or debates ever happened... just a bunch of screaming children having temper tantrums that "the other side" is wrong and "their side" is right :)

Subscribing is totally optional. But you can't do certain things unless you are at least XML level.... you can't list anything for sale, you can't post a "wanted" ad, and you can't look up more than 100 call signs per day (which won't matter really unless you like to do contests and your logging software looks up call signs as you enter them). You also can't export your QRZ log to LoTW. You can't post in "Just Talking" or the Platinum Lounge forums. There's probably a few other things I'm not thinking of...

But outside of that you're free to use the site without subscribing. Totally optional.

Dave
    W7UUU

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  5. KD9TED

Thanks. I really don't have a need to post anything in wanted or for sale, as I just use my club newsletter and local nets. And that usually works just fine.