ad: portazero-1

QSO Today with Art Bell, W6OBB

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Nov 16, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI4KEA

KI4KEA Ham Member QRZ Page

His show sure is.

2. WW1I

WW1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Art Bell was an absolute weirdo. My hope is that he was just pretending to believe his nonsensical garbage he purported to believe. He may have been a super nice guy, but his show was a disgrace.

KK6IPR and AC0OB like this.
  3. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

QSO from the Grave ????

I had lunch with Art in the early 80’s
    a few times, we had excellent
    conversations.

What is weird ….? he believed in
    many subjects, he always made me
    Smile .

K8PG Paul

N7KO likes this.
  4. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is an internet radio site that has 24/7 Art Bell old C2C programs...do a search.

N7KO likes this.
  5. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it's unanimous, George is no Art Bell.

K8PG, WD4ELG, N7KO and 1 other person like this.
  6. K1FQY

K1FQY Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the pleasure of listening to him many times on my late night drive from Boston to Cape Cod after a week of flying across the pacific.
    He was most interesting; loved his enthusiasm on the UFO subject. I was bitten by the bug on the 60's when I had the honor of meeting Betty and Barney Miller when I worked at the radio station WWNH as an engineer. Their story was fantastic, and Art covered it several times. I listen to old shows from time to time now, he was a true visionary.
    Tom
    K1FQY

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not easy to be interesting for hours on end.

My wife tells me my limit is about three minutes.

WD4ELG likes this.
  8. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How about, "A Historic Interview with Art Bell?"

Pheel

9. KI4KEA

KI4KEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Two different shows. Art like to explore ideas and think aloud. George has people on about vitamin supplements.

Sometimes he doesn't even sound interested in interviewing his guests.

K5YDD likes this.
  10. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your opinion... and thats ok, but a lot of people including my self. loved it. Weirdo is kinda harsh... glad you had a chance to express yourself. I will refrain from describing you.

K0UO likes this.
  11. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I miss Art, the late night commercial broadcast band isnt the same since his passing. Enjoyed his show... pure entertainment, intriguing and addictive.

Art actually played like he was on ham radio, but on a BIG, international stage (AM broadcast radio) and thats the coolest. He did a lot of great things for the 'hobby' and for commercial broadcast AM... he is a true radio 'Hall of Famer', period... and thats my opinion.

I was always a long time listener, but never called the show... Heard him on 10 meters often and always landed up contacting one of his buddies, but never him... I regret that.

As a fan, I and a bazillion others miss him.

PS... he was one of a kind... his shoes never will be filled nor can they be replaced.

Thanks for reading.

K4BAD, W9EBE and K0UO like this.
  12. K9WYF

K9WYF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Art was the GOAT! Picture of him hanging in my shack. "Caller, please extinguish your radio"

W9EBE, K0UO and N8QQE like this.
  13. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I spoke with Art a few times on HF in the late evening hours. He was fun to talk with and did he ever have some interesting wild tales. K5CO

N8QQE, K0UO and W9EBE like this.
  14. K6UVR

K6UVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall a QSO with W6OBB while I was on my way to a Vintage CORSA meeting one evening. In the passenger seat of the Corvair was a TS-570 running into a Hamstick - had some great conversation, scribbled his call on my notapad, and hit the meeting. The voice was SO familiar, and later it clicked. Heh. Had a couple short QSO's after that, but the initial was of course the best.

K0UO and N8QQE like this.
  15. KC3SNR

KC3SNR Ham Member QRZ Page

The only two that made it to my bucket list in order was W6OBB - Art Bell and WB6ACU Joe Walsh.
    Another interesting character from the air waves would be Jean Shepard... One of my favorites

Enjoy and 73

AI5DD and N8QQE like this.