ad: portazero-1

QSO Today with Art Bell, W6OBB

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Nov 16, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VE3ZSZ

VE3ZSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

i loved art bell show wow he was a legend .

K0UO and N8QQE like this.
  2. WD5IOI

WD5IOI Ham Member QRZ Page

I really do miss the Art Bell Show. He had a great voice for what he did... basically scaring the heck out of you in the middle of the night. (The "Sounds of Hell" audio STILL creeps me out!) I used to tape the shows on a 6 hour tape system and play it back during the day, just so I could sleep at night.

Art's show had a "Phil Hendrie Show" feel about it. I am sure Art Bell KNEW who the raving lunatics were, and I am sure he didn't believe all the nonsense discussed on his show. The only difference between the shows was that Phil Hendrie voiced the lunatics HIMSELF, but Art talked to the REAL NUTCASES out there, among other good things.

I must add there were a lot of serious topics on the show. Art was a great talk-host. All the greats are gone, and what do we have left? We have the people who "dabble" in late night radio, but just don't get it. They really don't. Thank goodness we have an archive of Art's shows to enjoy.

VE3ZSZ, K0UO and N8QQE like this.
  3. AB6VD

AB6VD Ham Member QRZ Page

I missed Art "Coast to Coast AM" and his voice.

VE3ZSZ, K0UO and N8QQE like this.
  4. AI5DD

AI5DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I looked it up and someone just took it. I don't know what to think about it. I believe it should go to a family member or a close friend of his.

K0UO likes this.
  5. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

No one "just took it". Eligible family members are given preference for (2) years once the license of the SK is cancelled, and before it goes back into the pool of call signs eligible for general issue, to request the call sign as a close relative of the former holder. If they don't act within that window, the call sign becomes eligible for re-issue to anyone requesting it, as long as they hold the appropriate license class for the call sign, in this case, Technician or higher.

KK6IPR likes this.
  6. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This was another great QSO Today episode, and worth repeating! Thanks Eric, Dave

4Z1UG and N8QQE like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike, W6OBB sounds like a great guy, and his tribute to Art Bell (see W6OBB 'lookup')is both dignifed and reasonable.

W9EBE and KC3JH like this.
  8. KC2UT

KC2UT Ham Member QRZ Page

Art was a great guy and had a great show, and that was before I realised he was a ham. My QTH is in Central NY. We spoke a number of times in the late 90s and 2000s, often at 4:30am local time when he would go on 75 meters after the show. I remember one morning on 75 when he also had a station in Alaska on the frequency too, and he relayed to me that the station in Alaska could hear me, but alas I could not hear the Alaska station, which would have been (and still would be) a new one on 75 meters. Another contact was with Art on 40 meters when he answered my CQ call from my 100 watt mobile and a Hamstick in the early evening, That 1000 foot loop was an amazing antenna. Art you are sorely missed my friend.

WD4ELG and N8QQE like this.
  9. K6CTW

K6CTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for putting this up for all to enjoy. Really do miss Art as he was a one-of-a-kind broadcaster.

KP4SX and N8QQE like this.
  10. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Art did not have to believe in the stories that were reported by his guests to be a great talk show host. He knew how to ask great questions and made his guests feel welcome. If you listen to the podcast interview that I did with him, he uses my name constantly, putting me at ease, and keeping the conversation going. He was a master. I am grateful that he agreed to speak with me.

KK6IPR, W9EBE, WD4ELG and 3 others like this.
  11. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It would have been nice if the memorial station for him at the Museum there in Pahrump would have got his call.

KK6IPR and AI5DD like this.
  12. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I could say that I listened a lot but I did not. It's likely I listened on occasion during a late night trouble call in the '90s. Most of the time I spent that time of night snoozing! Still, the few times I caught the show I was undoubtedly entertained. Spending an hour plus driving through the dark to get to some remote site while listening to whatever was being discussed was a recipe for raising the neck hairs when stumbling around the site/truck in the dark. Of course, once the work began all of that had be put out of mind and the issue resolved.

As it turns out years later after moving back here there were more late night calls and undoubtedly I probably listened to George Noory more than Art in the earlier years. Now if I happen to be up I don't tune in at all. It just doesn't interest me any more.

KK6IPR and K0UO like this.
  13. KI4KEA

KI4KEA Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the mark of a great communicator. It's not easy. He had a gift.

He spoke into a microphone to millions and made it seem like he was having a conversation with you.

I've run a net for two years. I have yet to have a single night where I think I got it totally right.

KK6IPR, VA7EKA and N8QQE like this.
  14. K5BTV

K5BTV Ham Member QRZ Page

First listened to Art when he took over from Larry King many years ago and really established Coast to Coast AM. Heard him on 75 meters once and his SSB voice was nothing like on the broadcast airwaves. So studio mikes make a difference along with expanded audio frequencies. Now as others said, it's Art Bell reruns on Saturday nights/Sunday AM - Atlanta time. btw Isn't it interesting the same basic subjects keep our attention? PS: I have a radio that records, so I mostly listen to previous shows while going to sleep.

KK6IPR and N8QQE like this.
  15. KC1NCT/SK2023

KC1NCT/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page