ad: Radclub22-1

QRZ Warned by the FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 10, 2008.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB7RTT

WB7RTT Ham Member QRZ Page

The idea was, if E-Bay can allow such sales of ilegal (To CBers) equipment than QRZ is also safe in allowing sales to hams who would most likely use it legally.

2. CypherC

CypherC QRZ Member QRZ Page

:eek: Fleabay actually pulled it!!!! Quick, someone check and see if hell thath frozen over!

And one more time, since people STILL seem to be missing it (or this is all a joke being played on those not in the know)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  3. NB0R

NB0R Guest

a bunch of hooo haaaa

All this non-sence just diverts us from the real issues concerning our community. The Internet over power line, cable company interference and a few other things that come to mind. What I do not understand is why the FCC is not going after the companies that are operating on frequencies that are not assigned to them and so on. More to the point the "control actions" that would make some money to fund their operation...Oh yea that is right they suckered the ARRL into doing most of their work for free.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

So, for fear of re-re-repeating what others (including myself) have said::

QUOTE:

"(John Doe) is correct in that you cannot market these devices on the internet, regardless if you are marketing them to amateurs or not. The devices cannot be marketed in the United States by any person. The RCI 2970 and the RCI 6300F150 can easily be modified to operate on the CB band. That is why the Commission has not allowed them to be certificated and that is why the FCC does not permit the "marketing of these devices by any person. See the attached Citation which explains our position. (we didn't get the attachment -fred)

I am going to forward the information down to the Spectrum Enforcement Davison for further investigation and comment.
    David Dombrowski
    FCC Philadelphia Office"

Has anyone verified that Mr. David Dombrowski is actually an FCC employee at the Philadelphia, PA FCC Office? Or verified that the e-mail is authentic?

And has Fred (or QRZ) received an official statement from "Spectrum Enforcement" (Division???) regarding any comment?

The crux of the matter is whether individual sales are to be considered "marketing." In the past, FCC rulings have considered "marketing" to be related to wholesale or retail sales, not single item transactions on a person to person basis.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  5. KC0YHX

KC0YHX Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ.com warned by FCC

Apparently the answer will be "NO". An "April Fools" joke is supposed to take place in April & on the 1st. Oh well, I will have to admit to being taken for a ride. And yes, I probably have egg on my face.

I can see a couple of things to come from this:
    A. I may be a "hammer", and as such expect a degree of truth from my brotheren. ( lesson learned, not all are trustworthy.) In the future, I will spend more time verifying.
    B. I now know 1, that I CAN'T trust, to be added to the list in the making. I personally wasn't wanting to be forced into making a list. I was hoping the world might return to some sembilince of sanity. I will still hope for better from most.

To say I am sickened and tired of this, will be an understatement.

73's and I'm done with this.
    KC0YHX

6. W3JN

W3JN Ham Member QRZ Page

Rest assured that is absolutely NOT a letter from the FCC. THere would not be mis-spellings and there would be a signature block, with the persons phone #, along with a legalese statement of it being for official use only or some such. Fred, the message headers in the email you received would tell all.

43 pages in this thread for NOTHING:D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  7. KG4NED

KG4NED QRZ Member

i have to agree with you 100%. and one other thing i can't stand ham/ebay cops if it has not been mod for 11 meter band what is the big deal? why get them kicked off ebay? all i can say is you need to get a life!!!!!!!!

8. AC0HD

AC0HD Ham Member QRZ Page

OOOOO RAh!

9. WB9SJZ

WB9SJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Legal Radios at the time of Purchase.

:) I have a question on the legal versus illegal radios. In 1975, my first Amateur Radio for the Novice Bands was a Yaesu FT-101EE. I also used this on the General Bands when I upgraded to General and then the Extra Bands when I upgraded to Extra. This radio had right on it the 11 meter Band fully specified, even though it would not transmit on such. My question is as follows: Since this radio has 11 meter fully specified on it, is it legal to re-sell this radio today on e-bay or am I stuck with it???? It is my understanding that this is a very easy to modify to transmit on the 11 meter band by cutting the ground wire for that crystal, so is it legal or illegal to attmempt to sell it even though it has NOT been modified and thus remains a legal only style of transmitter for the transceiver.

George:confused:

10. W9TWR

W9TWR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a joke!!!

First off, I'd like for anyone to name 5 hf rigs that aren't easier to modify for "freeband" use than your typical Export Radio. I guess the FCC should step up now and make all amateur transceivers illegal to own, since most of them can be easily made to transmit in the 11 meter CB band by simply "snipping" a diode. I'm sure some genius will respond and say "we're not talking about amateurs owning them" but in fact we are. What the difference between an Amateur Operator owning an FT-950 that will operate in the "Freeband" and the Amateur Operator owning a RCI-2950 that hasn't been modified. Turn in your RCI's, turn in your YAESUs and Icoms. Give the government your firearms, and the rest of your rights as a "FREE AMERICAN".
    I guess the real sad thing is, that the guy who went whinning to the FCC about something so trivial as 2 Hams trading/selling amongst themselves, has nothing better to do with his time...what a sad sad man. 73's

11. WA4ZVG

WA4ZVG Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is it in Part 97 ??

Can someone tell me where it is at in part 97 that one cannot sell a radio that can be modified or has been modified or you must ask for a ham license to sell anyone a ham radio or that you could lose your license for selling these. If it is in part 97 I wish someone would show me.

12. K5PO

K5PO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I feel as hams we should be allowed to buy and sell any radio or related devices we choose. We still must operate them within the law.

To ban the sale of a radio because it could be involved in illegal operator action is an undesirable form of government protectionism. I'll do without.

13. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look at the citations, they have nothing to do with Part 97. The FCC is basically saying "You claim that they're 'Part 97' radios, but we say they fall under 'Part 90'". The fact that you could legally use them on Part 97 frequency allocations is meaningless according to the regs quoted in the citations.

14. WB2FTX

WB2FTX Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred,

I think you are quite wrong when you said that few of these 10/11 meter rigs are being sold... Just do an internet search on "10 meter radio" and you will find numerous internet based dealers with a ready and continous newly supplied contingent of these things ready to sell... Hey they will even "tune" (modify) them for you as part of the sale. And this doesn't even count the Mom and Pop CB shops all over the country. Look at the FCC enforcement actions, they cite these guys (businessmen) multiple times, yet they keep on selling them and new ones are imported daily... In fact if you browse the ham listings on Ebay you will find more "10 meter amateur radios" for sale than the illegal CB amplifers... The market seems to be going toward these radios some of which have output power level of several hundred watts, instead of adding an extra amplifier for their "freeband" operations....Just my two cents...

73 Dave WB2FTX

15. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure this has been said before, but it bears repeating. Just because a 10 meter radio looks like a CB doesn't mean it isn't a 10 meter radio. If you built an old tube transmitter for 10 meters from scratch - is it necessarily illegal? No. Or maybe we should also collect all of those old Heathkit radios- too?

Any unlicensed person can buy and modify an HF rig and operate it on 11 meters in a mobile and probably never get caught. Any licensed operator has the right to access frequencies as their license allows them to. I've known a few Ham's that own some of these 10/11 meter export radios and operate them legitimately - because if they do - no one here or at the FCC can tell the difference. In the process, they save some money when they buy and use them. eg: Magnum 257 If a General license holder gets a RCI-2970N2 radio and modifies it to 30-18Mhz; who can hear or tell the difference if they operate it within the band plan at legitimate power levels? Nobody!

The guy who previously said: 'forty-three pages for nothing' has summed it up correctly.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009