QRZ Security Update: 2FA and Verified Users

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0TNL

KE0TNL Ham Member QRZ Page

That's all I did also, I think Authy is just for people that don't want to receive a code via SMS every once in a while to log in. I have unlimited texting so it's no big deal for me.

2. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I did the same thing and my account shows 2fa is enabled but I don't have that pretty VERIFIED banner that other people have. I'm not secure until I have that banner! :D Oh wait there is one more step. You have to verify through log book of the world OR if you don't use that attach a photo ID. Sorry that's where you lose me. I'm not giving QRZ who is obviously concerned about my security a picture of my drivers license. If you Google POC hack Authy you'll see this company has been hacked back in 2014. Once they get into Authy then they control your phone and have all your data not just QRZ stuff. I think I'll just wait for the dust to settle on this one. Amateur radio operators trying to play cyber-security engineers makes me nervous.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    AG5CK, VK1MA, G3SEA and 2 others like this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You answered your own question. ;)

W7GST, N9RBE and N3FAA like this.
  4. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So is it the combination or one or the other? I can use IE or Firefox if that works but cannot change my OS.

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

My quip was more tongue in cheek than anything else.

Those of us who do not worship in the churches of Gates or Brin and Page view the use of a Microsoft OS, browser, or Google browser to be less than prudent. YMMV.

Just for grins try Firefox and see if you have better luck. 73.

6. KV4MO

KV4MO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thirty-second shelf life on the codes? Holy full-time job batman! So when you go to log in, first, you need to install some sort of googlish data aggregation stuff and then pay undivided attention until you get logged in. I have trouble with codes via email with a 30 minute shelf life due to the gray mail filter that the isp uses.

WQ4G and K9GLS like this.
  7. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Neither is seeing the .p12 file Fred. Firefox doesn't even offer that extension as a savable file. I am stumped. How are others able?

8. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I can meet all the verification requirements, yet still be able to steal thousands of dollars from you.

These extra processes for the legit user seems proper, but all it really offers is the illusion of security.

It's a fine step in the right direction, QRZdotcom is a vanguard in protecting hams...
    ... but don't be fooled into thinking it's really any safer than it used to be.

Criminals adapt just as quickly as the good-guys.

There's not A DAMN THING anyone can do to prevent me from stealing your money or goods, other than never participating.

IMO, the best thing the 'Zed can do is eliminate all sales. Craigslist, eBay, etc. have that covered and will offer less headaches for our forum.

hellen_keller_quote.jpg

KD0NPT, G3SEA, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  9. SM6EKG

SM6EKG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi! I am in since some time ago, feels good to be as safe as possible!

10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I am also 'verified' and a Lifetime member #240 of QRZ.com. Fred and his staff does a wonderful job in serving the amateur radio community. Perhaps more so than the ARRL itself.

EB1BSV, W7GST and NG9F like this.