ad: AbAuRe-1

QRZ Security Update: 2FA and Verified Users

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K7MD

K7MD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your patience and clear explanations Fred. -K7MD Verified :)

AA7BQ likes this.
  2. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Again Change is the only Constant and this applies to security systems.:cool:

The long 'Life' bio's posted on QRZ and other social media systems are also 'fodder' for the hackers.

G3SEA/KH6

3. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unless you were a cop who had me pulled over for a traffic violation, my banker, doctor, or some government agency that needed my ID, I most certainly would NOT allow you to see my drivers license...so you would suspect wrong.

As far as data crossing the internet being "completely encrypted"...there is no such thing. One need only ask any one of the number of multi-billion dollar corporations and world wide government agencies that have been "hacked" in recent years, and you will find that internet encryption and an empty sack...is worth a sack.

I agree that the 2FA is a good idea and would be a quite effective security measure...but the verification thing is "iffy" at best. It's a question of weighing security risk. Frankly if my QRZ account gets hacked...it's not really that big of a deal compared to the damage that can be caused by my ID falling into the hands of unknowns as it is being sent across the WWW.

4. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

In my imaginary scenario, you would be approaching me, asking for something I was offering. I would say "lemme see your license", and if you said "no", then fine. Next, please.

This really isn't a big deal. If you don't want to play then I won't stop you. There are enough verified members already to support a vibrant and active swapmeet. We're good.

My last few replies have been with contrarians. I'm done with that.

5. KW6RON

KW6RON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm onboard with 2FA, let's all work together to put scammers OOB (Out of Business)

AA7BQ and W7UUU like this.
  6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bringing something to your attention related to that. It's a minor thing and simple to fix but important. I'm sure it's just an oversight.

The forums don't redirect from http to https like they should. It's standard practice. If someone lands on http://forums.qrz.com for some reason, they should be redirected to https://forums.qrz.com.

This does happen on the rest of the site but not on the forums.

Links on the site are inconsistent.

For example: https://www.qrz.com/site.html
    I'm on https
    Click on Discussion Forums
    Now I'm on http. I've seen http links in forum posts that point to other posts which will cause someone to lose the encryption.

On unencrypted public wifi? Someone can now steal my session cookie.

If the redirect is fixed then I guess the inconsistent links don't really matter.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    KR3DX and K2NCC like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, not really I think. HTTPS is secure for sending an image of your license to QRZ (or anything else), once the encryption is established between your browser and the QRZ server indicated by the lock symbol on the URL bar. But other parts of online communications may be plainly visible to the ISP or to anyone on a public WiFi network if using one (which is where VPNs are useful).

Also, HTTPS certificates can be had cheaply so a crook can set up a phishing site with HTTPS that looks like a legitimate one with a similar URL and harvest login credentials to then hack into an account. This is probably the biggest risk, so you always need to look carefully at the URL (and/or at the certificate) if you type it in or copy/paste from an untrusted source.

Your IDs are probably already in multiple databases anyway, hopefully in encrypted form but you never know if someone got sloppy. For example, I just got back from an international trip. My photo was taken and my passport was scanned by the US immigration entry kiosk which verified my identity. Is that secure? I hope so, but there wasn’t any choice.

At least QRZ deletes the ID image right away as they have no reason to keep it, in fact it would be a liability to keep it.

KR3DX likes this.
  8. WZ4K

WZ4K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred,

How does 2FA affect applications such as DX Lab and JTAlertX that reach out to QRZ for data? 73, Howard

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there is a little more to it than that. There is a difference between asking to see someone's license, and asking to take a picture of it and forward it to your office for employees to check it out. The QRZ verification is more like the latter.

But the 2FA is a good thing. The "picture ID" may or may not prove anything, since a photo ID would be pretty easy to mock up, by anyone with more than rudimentary skills in Photoshop or equivalent software. I don't think the QRZ employees have all sources available to verify every sort of ID that comes their way, since there are hundreds of permutations. And, since the ID is deleted immediately, there is no way to go back and double check at a later time.

Here is a scenario that would prove problematic. The scammers "get wise" and realize that the 2FA makes it hard to "phish" for existing accounts. But there are hundreds of thousands of valid callsigns of people that are not members of QRZ. The "bad guy" contacts QRZ and claims a callsign as his, gets assigned a user name with that call, then sets up 2FA to his own cellphone and gets verified via a fake ID with photo. He can do this multiple times, with no one being the wiser. Then he lists items for sale as a "verified" user. It might be several weeks before it was realized that the guy was a scammer, he could take US Postal service money orders or checks for payment, thus avoiding Paypal totally, and bypassing any protection that might have been afforded.

I don't know what the solution is, scammers are smart at scamming. The best thing I can think of is to call the person on the phone and talk with them when you are making a purchase of more than a few bucks. If "Bill Anderson" sounds like a Nigerian woman (or knows nothing about ham radio), you may be getting played.

KR3DX, VE7JBX, KD8DWO and 2 others like this.
  10. N3GY

N3GY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree 100% up to 1,000,000,000% true; ,,Thank you Fred for sharing this info with us here,,,

Best Regards

73's de Hilton - N3GY

11. KK3Q

KK3Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy, peasy...

12. K1YYI

K1YYI Ham Member QRZ Page

You have no right to see my ID (or Ham ticket for that matter).

This.

13. K1YYI

K1YYI Ham Member QRZ Page

In my real job we routinely intercept SSL and HTTPS streams to decrypt, then analyze the contents and "re-inject" the data with the same encryption. This is transparent to the sender and receiver and they have no idea we just peeked at their stuff. We don't even need access to your system, just a IP. (and sometimes even less)

Really, nothing is safe. What if I told you we had equipment that could capture screen images and keystrokes from an air gapped system from across the street? That's why I don't put too much confidence in HTTPS, but if it helps you sleep better at night then that's fine.

N8DAH, KR3DX and K2NCC like this.
  14. M0LMK

M0LMK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would say you're working for an alphabet agency and using something that was built on the success of TEMPEST...

N0TZU likes this.
  15. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing is safe but, from whom and with what effort?

Clearly intelligence agencies can intercept and decrypt many things (all the traffic routed through agency hardware at the ISP or...?). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really doubt many hackers have that sort of capability in place. And if they did, I don't think they would bother with relatively low level stuff like scamming hams for a few hundred or maybe a thousand dollars when there are juicy financial or commercial targets to go after.

I think that QRZ is doing what they reasonably can to throttle the typical scammers and I'm glad they are. That it wouldn't necessarily stop the NSA, FBI or some other country's intelligence service is really irrelevant to me.

KO5V and AA7BQ like this.