ad: ProAudio-1

QRZ Maintenance

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

circuit_h.png

We had a database failure today that was caused when a faulty file was uploaded during an FCC update. Some users have already written us to report suspected hacking, etc., however there was no security issue or hacking attempt whatsoever. It was operator error at the main QRZ console.

The update caused the server to send out numerous "Your Callsign Has Changed" messages which were of great dismay to many, and understandably so. There have also been some changes to logbook end dates, but under no circumstances was any logbook data lost. Still, however, you may need to reset your logbook End date (hint: set it to your license expire date). To change your Logbook End Date, go to your logbook and click on Settings and then Properties.

Finally, some user photos were inadvertently moved to other user's folders. We're working on backing those out however in the short term you may or may not notice the issue. The problem affected less than 2% of all call signs.

In order to guarantee consistency of our data, we restored everything EXCEPT logbook data (which wasn't affected) from last night's backup. Therefore, you may notice that some things that you may have done TODAY on the site are missing. This could include Forum postings, biography updates, private messages, etc. Note that in all cases, the missing information would have to be less than 24 hours old. The restore-to date was 2019-02-26 02:08:00, which is approximately 10:08 pm last night (Feburary 26).

One other side effect of restoring from our backup was that the support tickets filed against this problem were also lost, as they were in TODAY's data. That should not be a big problem, however, because the subject of the tickets was resolved.

We have received numerous emails, FAX'es and PM's about the problem and nearly everyone was very kind and understanding. I do feel bad for one fellow who called us while we were franticly working on the system and I was not as polite as I probably should have been. I basically said "sorry, we're working on it" and hung up. My apologies, but I really needed to get back to bringing the system online for everybody.

Meanwhile, we're staying up late tonight to watch everything and to answer your questions as quickly as possible. If you have a specific issue, please use https://support.qrz.com instead of writing it here in this forum.

P.S. Please note that only USA callsigns were affected by this outage. No DX callsigns were touched by the errant FCC update.

73, and many thanks for your patience and understanding.

-fred AA7BQ

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    WJ0M, N0JVW, K5OG and 17 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

That's gotta be one big pile O'steaming stress to go through stuff like this....

Good job in handling it Fred - I'm bald so wouldn't be pulling my hair out - but yours is SHORT - be careful :)

Good luck resolving this but it looks largely fixed at this time - thanks for all you do and all the hard work keeping this place running

Dave
    W7UUU

W0AMT, K9ASE, KG5THG and 2 others like this.
  3. KE6GAC

KE6GAC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks you Sir for the info and the great service you provide!!
    The outage is a non problem in my book!

GB

EB1BSV likes this.
  4. KD2RHT

KD2RHT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why I love this site. You communicate with us and it is super appreciated! Glad you found the issue and resolved it.

KF4ZKU, W0AMT, K9ASE and 3 others like this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Kudus on handling this unfortunate incident.

This is just an example of how dependent we have become upon a very fragile technology. And there are many out there who would take delight in throwing a monkey wrench into the works. Be vigilant and be flexible!

KF4ZKU likes this.
  6. N7MWT

N7MWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the update! My logbook still has access to a callsign I don't have:

upload_2019-2-27_19-49-19.png

(N7MWT was owned by someone else, then they moved to NX7A and I obtained N7MWT — I do not own NX7A)

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good! That was fast. I appear to be whole again.
    RESTORE, or whatever you have, works wonders ;)

8. W4MAY

W4MAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you guys did not get an email saying you call has been changed and locked out of your own page..
    Was not a happy camper.

9. VA7STV

VA7STV Ham Member QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Do not worry you didnt have access to someone elses logbook, You only had access to your own (empty) logbook with a callsign that wasn't yours. I have removed the offending logbook from your account. We are still cleaning up some of the mess in logbook. Users who are seeing logbooks that they do not recognize or are missing logbooks that should be present should contact support so we can reattached your logbooks to your account.

N7MWT likes this.
  10. K7BJS

K7BJS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the above Picture of your data system !!
    Thanks for your hard work..
    BJS

KF4ZKU and ND4AA like this.
  11. N9WRP

N9WRP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You have a great service here. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. You and your staff are what
    helps keep "Ham Radio Fun"!
    Thank you.
    BP

EB1BSV and W7UUU like this.
  12. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Whew! So that "For Sale" post I made earlier where I pledged to give all my ham equipment away (with free shipping) is gone. A pretty extreme moment of temporary insanity I guess...

In other news... It also appears my treatise on a P vs NP solution was also lost. Temporary genius moment post the insanity...

Good luck! :p

W7UUU, KF7WIS and N7MWT like this.
  13. N7MWT

N7MWT Ham Member QRZ Page

lol hit me up if you go insane again, I'll get that pesky ham equipment out of your way for ya

KF7WIS likes this.
  14. KD7JB

KD7JB Ham Member QRZ Page

I never thought it was you all, I guessed the FCC had made a mistake. I was trying to find an email for their office when I spotted your post. Nice customer service on your part!
    Thanks for all you do!

15. N8TEJ

N8TEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Will this also delay a upload from FCC, QRZ currently does not match FCC database for my new Vanity call sign I got yesterday?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.