PSK31 Rant

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5DVW, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N5JO

N5JO Ham Member QRZ Page

"Brevity is the soul of wit."

----W.Shakespeare

....when speaking of Brag Files.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD7LWL @ Feb. 26 2002,05:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All the posts are interesting - except the one about not being allowed to use the internet or ham radio if you can't type at 75 wpm. Nothing more need be said...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, alot needs to be said..

The Pro CW-nuts have, in the past, and even in this thread, inferred that those who don't work CW, or who can't key 20 WPM, are less than HAMs. [​IMG]

Now that the shoe has been placed on the other foot re: PSK and typing skill, the CW ops don't like it.

I guess, to some people, "Do unto others..." only applies to everyone else. [​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I think CW has its place, and should continue to be part of amateur radio.. I just don't want it shoved down my throat.

de AB8LR, Chris

3. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB9YFI @ Feb. 22 2002,20:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone who can't type at 75 WPM should not be licensed to use the Internet or Amateur radio.  Heck, I could teach my dog to type that fast. It's easy!  Anyone can learn it in just a couple of days.  I guess you are too lazy to learn to type.  Keyboarding forever!!!!!  75WPM keyboard requirement would keep the lids out. blah, blah, blah, blah....

LOL[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Good one! Macros are for cheaters!

4. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4OWA @ Feb. 24 2002,09:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k8cpa @ Feb. 24 2002,18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think YOU need to quit your stinking Whining... if you don't like what you see, go get another damn hobby. I hppen to like my set up and I enjoy sharing it with other people... if you don't like it, spin the knob or find another hobby.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well then, Chuck, that's very interesting.  See if this relates at all:

"I think YOU need to quit your stinking whining... if you dont like my religion, you can just go find another damn place to live.  I happen to like my religion and I enjoy forcing it upon other people... if you dont like it, build a boat and sail to some other country"

Sound familiar?  Have your own way of doing things if you want, but dont cram it down other people's throats, they're likely to sick up all over you.

Ian, KG4OWA[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, Ian, I hated to post that. But It just seems to me, if I want to include *ALL* my station information, it should be my business. That is the primary reason I only really work DX anymore... I'm just sick of people preaching at me to not put my station info in my macro's... But usually the same person's waterfall is so wide you can see about 20 of them on the waterfall... and they're IMD is like -2 or so... and they're running 100watts into to 11 element beam and can't figure out why nobody is coming back to them... just so happens I've been running PSK31 for OVER a year and a half and I've been running my macro's for over a year and people seem to enjoy knowing what I run...

73 and Good DX!

-Chuck K8CPA

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

5. VE3OZ

VE3OZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well - I agree and disagree.  Rarely do I use macros...I find PSK31 to be a very relaxing mode and I will "chat" regarding my set up as I treat a PSK31 QSO the same way I would treat any type of conversation.  If someone sends a "brag" file, I'll simply read it, if it starts to drag, I'll enter the QSO data in my (paper) log, look at the big wide splattery signal somewhere else on frequency (a neat thing that you can do with WINPSKse), pat the dog or scratch what ever itches while I'm waiting for it to finish. When it's turned back to me, I'll thank them for the info and proceed on with the QSO. Bear in mind that many PSK op's from overseas do not have a firm grasp of English, so they program their macros and fire them out, then thank you for the contact.

Remember it's hobby, have fun, and help others enjoy as well.

6. W9JCM

W9JCM Ham Member

You people just love to whine about something don't you? Macros whats that I will type it all out to you. I dont have a problem with it. And you know what if you dont like it then don't answer my calls. What is your rush? Jesus christ. This has to be the most waste of space i have seen lately on here. Get a life you guys. If you dont have the time to listen to what a guy has in his shack then pull the plug. Sounds like its hello give me a qsl card goodbye. If you want fast contacts then get in a contest.

7. W8VOM

W8VOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Rant is right!  I like to hear about the other Op's equiment and his interests. Only on rare occasions do I find people who run too long with their station information. I do not find this to be a great issue,listen to the blow hards in their ssb net's! I am also tired of the hit and run qso's. Dont want to communicate? Try contesting! [​IMG] At 50 wpm how long can most brag files take on PSK 31? 30-45 secs. Relax and enjoy the qso!

8. N6SSQ

N6SSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

... K5DVW de N6SSQ ...
    Although you didn't leave a name,I basically agree about the monster macros. A QSO is a conversation between two operators. I like you perfer the personal touch. I actually had a ham on RTTY tell me right out that he was not interested in what equipment I had, as long as it worked. That was in the late 80's and I have kept that as reminder that not everyone cares about equipment... just happy that it works and you can have a QSO.
    Like you, I have had HUGE macro's dumped on me. I don't know why, but no one seems to ask the question, "Are you interested in my equipment list?" or words to that effect? I have never had a ham ask me that. I wish they would. I have asked "not to be sent the deadly brag file" and have never been rebuffed for it. Trouble there is, they dump it before asking for a RST or even get your name...
    One thing that seems to slip peoples minds here, the typing speed argument/comments... PSK31 or any of the digital keyboard modes are not a speed race.. we used to call RTTY the "gentlemens mode" simply because no one was ever in a hurry, the RTTY just diddled while they thought or put their words to keyboard/screen.
    My suggestion is, if you make contact, tell the other ham you are really not interested in his equipment but more what he does for a living, how long has he been a ham, are the rest of his family hams, does he trout fish with worms or flies? haw.. haw.. A QSO built around a list of equipment isn't much of a QSO..
    For those who are not fast typers, who cares?? Has anyone ever bad-mouthed you for being toooooo slooow?
    I don't think so..
    Keep the peace.. keep the macro's to what you are using at that time and mode.. keep the speed of the computer a secret, I mean... who really cares about that?
    73's troops Semper Fi
    de Fergy N6SSQ

9. KM6XU

KM6XU Ham Member QRZ Page

k6dvw, I appreciate your insight.  I'm just getting started, but your "rant" made me realize that in many ways, PSK31 is just like other modes: Nobody likes the guy who always times out the repeater!  My only macro will be the CQ, just as it is in my keyer.

I have enjoyed watching the QSOs go by, especially those of the foreign operators in other languages; this has been a real learning experience.  Their "brag files" seem to be a lot shorter than those of us Americans.  Hmmm... what does that tell you?  =:-O

Thanks for the nice reminder -- mark@km6xu.com

***** Mark Walsh ***** http://www.km6xu.com *****

10. K5DVW

K5DVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! I never thought my initial post would cause such a stir. You'd think I drug up the CW debate again!

Anyhow, thanks to all who have posted and given their comments.

It's funny how some people read a post and totally misinterpret the meaning. I'd just like to add that I never said macros were bad, I never said station information was bad, I never said slow typists were bad, all I was asking for was a little moderation in station brag files. Geesh! [​IMG]

I love ragchewing on PSK, and yes I am a very fast typist. So what! I've had countless QSOs on PSK without even exchanging one bit of station data. I'm sure most of you have. These were some of the best QSO's because I got to know who I was talking to on the other end, this is what hamming is all about. I have plenty of patience for this and will wait for a slow typist without any complaints, but if you send me a 5 minute canned macro brag file in answer to my CQ, I'm gone!

Happy PSKing

Darrin
    K5DVW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.