ad: M2Ant-1

PSK31 Rant

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5DVW, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K5DVW

K5DVW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's interesting how some narrow minded people jump to personal conclusions about you when you post something on here. Not real nice!

Just to clear the air, I'm both a DXer, and a ragchewer. I find nothing more pleasant than chatting on the radio with someone interesting, however, I dont think 5 minutes worth of brag file describing every electrical appliance in your shack and every antenna you have in the air is a conversation. Afterall in general conversation does it REALLY matter what kind of PC you have, how much memory or hard drive capacity it has, or what kind of software you're running? I don't really think it does matter unless you're comparing notes with someone and they ask.

The point to my article, which it seems that a lot of you PSKers understood, is that with slow digital modes, sometimes concise is much better. Think CW here! Would you send the same amount of info on CW?

Heck, I even have a brag file macro (It's two lines long), and even have a spanish language canned QSO for DX. I'm obviously not against macros. If you want to brag about your station, excellent and by all means do it, but just be sure the guy on the other end wants that information before you bore him with 5 minutes of text dump. "The toaster on this end is a Sunbeam, dual slot, spring action using 120 Vac, 60Hz which comes from the power plant down the road thru a 10Kvar transformer in the back yard..."

And I still stand by my comment that PSK is one of the neatest modes around. Even with my ranting, I still enjoy it and work it every chance I get.

Thanks to all for the comments

K5DVW

2. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k5dvw @ Feb. 21 2002,08:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I, like many of you have been enjoying PSK31. I'm also a relative newcomer to the mode (even wrote an article about it here QRZ). I've noticed something that really gets me ranting. I've noticed that some people are exceptionally proud of their setup, to the point that they don't think anything of sending you 5 minutes (no exaggeration, I timed one) of canned text describing every electronic thing in their shack, even when you didn't ask. This has happened to me many times, and frankly, I don't care that you're computer has an AMD 33 Mhz processor or that you have a 180m long wire and 10 other antennas and various radios you're not currently using when we're talking on 10m. I'm sure there are times and places to discuss such information and if it's a topic of discussion by all means let er rip, but folks, on a slow digital mode, simpler is always MUCH better. Something like "Radio is Icom 706 with long wire and 25W" is more than sufficient to convey the essence of your station without hogging bandwidth.

I like many folks these days, dont have a lot of time to operate. So when I get on the radio looking for a QSO, I'd rather actually engage the other station than have canned macros sent to me. I'm just funny that way. Now DX is another story, and even then, you'd be wise to keep your macros VERY short. Let's not develop bad habits on this fine new mode.

That's my rant. I will also say I've had some exceptionally pleasant QSO's with top notch people over PSK and I really enjoy the mode. But when someone launches their station brag file and it reads like a novel, I may not be there when you return it to me.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

K5DVW[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think YOU need to quit your stinking Whining... if you don't like what you see, go get another damn hobby. I hppen to like my set up and I enjoy sharing it with other people... if you don't like it, spin the knob or find another hobby.

-Chuck K8CPA

3. KC9AIC

KC9AIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people say they have problems typing. I wonder if anyone has thought of a utility that allows you to enter text into your computer with a code key. The people who aren't so great with typing are often the more advanced in years, who often can send code well because of a lot of practice. These people could use their keys to imput instead of a keyboard.

Just an idea.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Well as usual, I find what I need to know in QRZ forums!

I was thinking about trying PSK31............

Then I waded through 4 pages of postings ( some in excess of 600 words ) griping about long postings............................

I will still try it but with much less guilt about delay.
    ( gotta brush on my typing )

[​IMG] 73 de Craig...........KC0GOA [​IMG]

5. W0QT

W0QT Ham Member QRZ Page

Back to the original rant: my comments:

I like hearing (reading) about people's rigs, computers, antenni, programs, etc., even down to the 233 MHz processo or whatever.

What bugs me is people who come in over my QSO, people who don't look and wait a bit to see if the particular spot on the freq. is being used. This wasn't a problem at first but became a problem, or at least I first noticed it, a little less than a year ago when PSK31 became wildly popular. Sometimes people overmodulate their radios and splatter themselves across several QSOs, so that several are kicked right out of their QSOs.

[​IMG] Orcy WØQT [​IMG]

6. K5DVW

K5DVW Ham Member QRZ Page

w0qt you bring up a very interesting point. Several times I've seen operators with signals which are too wide. My solution has been to wait till the QSO is over and call the guy, quote him his measured IMD and let him know nicely that he might think about checking his TX audio drive level. I've done this a few times and have found that the operator usually is very receptive to doing it right and actually doesnt know he's causing a problem (of course he can't see it). I'll even hang around for an on air test while he adjusts. That's one part about our hobby that I like.

Now people like k8cpa, they are just mean angry people and don't have anything nice or intelligent to say about anything or anyone. I can just do without those types on the radio or otherwise.

DVW

7. W8JJW

W8JJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Folks..I read the poor guy as asking for moderation!
    Macro's are a wonderful thing, we all use them; do we need a life history macro..I doubt it. If you wouldn't share the info on CW, why do it on PSK?

[​IMG] Enjoy the hobby...73's John

8. W0FM

W0FM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh no...he couldn't mean ME! Thanks for the eye-opener. I just went back and reduced my "brag" macro to the very basics: Radio, power and antenna! Gone are the OS and the processor speed, the RAM, the hard drive capacity, logging program and the sound card capabilities. You're right on the money. Who cares if my computer has a 300W power supply? It's really the radio, the TX power and the antenna that make a difference on the "other end" of the QSO.

Hopefully, I won't be boring anyone again!

(Oh, and by the way, the shack chair is by "Flexomatic" with imitation black leather armrests and 8-way adjustments. And, my printer paper is stock Hewlett-Packard 95 pound white.)

Terry, WØFM

9. KS3J

KS3J Ham Member QRZ Page

Many people put a great deal of hard work into integrating a combination of computer, software, rig, interface, cabling, and knowledge in order to create their ideal PSK station. I feel that if you don't have time to read about that, even if it takes three or four minutes, then I'm not sure why you're on ham radio. Unless you're contesting or have some other reason to get a QSO over with quickly, what's your hurry?

10. KD7LWL

KD7LWL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All the posts are interesting - except the one about not being allowed to use the internet or ham radio if you can't type at 75 wpm. Nothing more need be said...

11. N5JO

N5JO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Brevity is the soul of wit."

----W.Shakespeare

....when speaking of Brag Files.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD7LWL @ Feb. 26 2002,05:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All the posts are interesting - except the one about not being allowed to use the internet or ham radio if you can't type at 75 wpm. Nothing more need be said...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, alot needs to be said..

The Pro CW-nuts have, in the past, and even in this thread, inferred that those who don't work CW, or who can't key 20 WPM, are less than HAMs. [​IMG]

Now that the shoe has been placed on the other foot re: PSK and typing skill, the CW ops don't like it.

I guess, to some people, "Do unto others..." only applies to everyone else. [​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I think CW has its place, and should continue to be part of amateur radio.. I just don't want it shoved down my throat.

de AB8LR, Chris

13. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB9YFI @ Feb. 22 2002,20:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone who can't type at 75 WPM should not be licensed to use the Internet or Amateur radio.  Heck, I could teach my dog to type that fast. It's easy!  Anyone can learn it in just a couple of days.  I guess you are too lazy to learn to type.  Keyboarding forever!!!!!  75WPM keyboard requirement would keep the lids out. blah, blah, blah, blah....

LOL[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Good one! Macros are for cheaters!

14. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4OWA @ Feb. 24 2002,09:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k8cpa @ Feb. 24 2002,18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think YOU need to quit your stinking Whining... if you don't like what you see, go get another damn hobby. I hppen to like my set up and I enjoy sharing it with other people... if you don't like it, spin the knob or find another hobby.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well then, Chuck, that's very interesting.  See if this relates at all:

"I think YOU need to quit your stinking whining... if you dont like my religion, you can just go find another damn place to live.  I happen to like my religion and I enjoy forcing it upon other people... if you dont like it, build a boat and sail to some other country"

Sound familiar?  Have your own way of doing things if you want, but dont cram it down other people's throats, they're likely to sick up all over you.

Ian, KG4OWA[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, Ian, I hated to post that. But It just seems to me, if I want to include *ALL* my station information, it should be my business. That is the primary reason I only really work DX anymore... I'm just sick of people preaching at me to not put my station info in my macro's... But usually the same person's waterfall is so wide you can see about 20 of them on the waterfall... and they're IMD is like -2 or so... and they're running 100watts into to 11 element beam and can't figure out why nobody is coming back to them... just so happens I've been running PSK31 for OVER a year and a half and I've been running my macro's for over a year and people seem to enjoy knowing what I run...

73 and Good DX!

-Chuck K8CPA

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

15. VE3OZ

VE3OZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well - I agree and disagree.  Rarely do I use macros...I find PSK31 to be a very relaxing mode and I will "chat" regarding my set up as I treat a PSK31 QSO the same way I would treat any type of conversation.  If someone sends a "brag" file, I'll simply read it, if it starts to drag, I'll enter the QSO data in my (paper) log, look at the big wide splattery signal somewhere else on frequency (a neat thing that you can do with WINPSKse), pat the dog or scratch what ever itches while I'm waiting for it to finish. When it's turned back to me, I'll thank them for the info and proceed on with the QSO. Bear in mind that many PSK op's from overseas do not have a firm grasp of English, so they program their macros and fire them out, then thank you for the contact.

Remember it's hobby, have fun, and help others enjoy as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.