ad: wmr-1

Proposed Illinois Legislation Would Ban Licensed Amateur Radio Ops From Mobile use

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC2FO, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K4YZ

K4YZ Guest

You didn't know WHAT was part of an EMT's job description? To assess, therefore process, an accident scene (one of many triage skills taught to EVERY EMT since the inception of paramedicine in 1965) or to be able to follow-up on accidents that we've been at and know what the causal factors were?

Oh...wait...I get it!...You're one of those people that refer to medics as "Ambulance Drivers", no more qualified, in your opinion, than to sit behind the wheel and go "wooo wooo wooo" with the code lights running. Probably watched a few re-runs of "Emergency" and know know everything there is to know about modern emergency medical services.

(Shakes head in disbelievement...deep sigh...)

Part of EVERY medic's job is to assess the scene, not only for the medical needs of the patient, but to look for anything that may be out of place, unusual, or present a clear and present danger to the safety of the patient, bystanders, other responders, or themselves. It's also a good idea to be able to make record of anything that might be asked of you in court if said accident wound up there.

Or are you former law enforcement, upset that I used the word "process", as if to step on 'your' turf?

Steve, K4YZ

2. K4YZ

K4YZ Guest

MOST of us have impaired vision? MOST of us have impaired reflexes? MOST of us have impaired hearing? And what does AB1LL define as "quite" old...?!?! Fifty? Sixty? Seventy? Depending on whose numbers you believe, the median age, that is MOST Amateurs, falls in the mid 50's to early 60's range.

That's "quite old" to you?

From what resource did you obtain these 'facts', Bill? Are these 'impairments' sufficient to deny the driver a license? Since you insist that MOST Amateurs are all of these things (your words), shouldn't they be denied a license to operate a motor vehicle anyway? And if so, isn't the whole thread then moot?

ALL drivers are 'prohibited' from using 'easy to use cellphones?' Since when? Most states that are enacting 'distracted motorist' laws permit use of Bluetooth devices. Very few actually PROHIBIT them.

A cellphone requires you to have it in a place where you can hear it ringing or feel it vibrate. You then have to handle the device to hit 'send' in order to answer the call, and then, unless you're using the aforementioned Bluetooth device, have to hold it to your head for the entire conversation in order to use the device.

My radio, on the other hand, only requires that I set the volume and squelch prior to putting the car in motion, and then hold the microphone up in order to talk, since I have an external speaker mounted so that it projects the audio towards me. And even then, I don't have to hold the mic to my face except when I AM transmitting. When I'm done talking, all I have to do is lay the mic down. My phone, on the otherhand, requires handling it once again in order to shut it off after the conversation concludes.

Ooooh...FOUR years! You're an EXPERT then!

Try forty.

When you've made it to your first decade, come back and we'll see what you've heard.

In the meantime, during those FOUR years, you've monitored a repeater 24/7/365? You keep an HT by the bedside at night or close at hand when you're NOT listening '...during commuter traffic...'...?!?! (The YL or XYL must LOVE that!) How long is that commuter drive, each way? So, out of a 24 hour day, you actually 'listen' to the repeater for how many hours...?!?!

And do you live in Podunk USA or a major metro area? If you live in a major metro area, you've monitored every repeater in that area on 6, 2, 1.25 and .7 meters simultaneously?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....?!?!?

It is? Having the key strapped to your leg or mounted to a board on the rest between the seats, where you'd normally rest your arm anyway, is the same as having to hold the device in your hands in order to manipulate the keys? Or do you have BOTH hands on the wheel the complete time you're driving, except to put the car in gear or to put it back in park? And do you have to hold your CW key in a position to receive a response, or do you, like 'most' Amateurs do, simply listen to the other signal audibly?

REALLY, Bill...?!?! Using Amateur Radio mobile-in-motion is no different than using a cellphone or texting?

(Giggling at vision of AB1LL driving down road holding paddles to his ears or staring at them awaiting a response...)

Steve, K4YZ

3. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Whoa every one what is the problem, and now how to attack the problem.

A: If you live in Illinois, write your Legislator!!

B: If you live elsewhere donate monies to the ARRL, and the Illinois groups fighting said legislation.

C: Avoid travel to or through Illinois, and tell your travel agent why. If your company has an event scheduled for or in Illinois cancel or relocate the event.

D: If travel through Illinois is required plan your trip so that you do not purchase any item in Illinois.

Governments do not like to see taxes fall off (Sales taxes) so do not buy from a vendor in Illinois.

4. K4TOJ

K4TOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't go through the 7 pages of this thread so hopefully no one posted this yet. When I read " or when the operator of the vehicle has the vehicle’s transmission in neutral or park and on the shoulder of the roadway." I came to a very dangerous solution that may yet be in every HAMs repertoire of driving tools. "When making a call for CQ or responding to a CQ, move your car to the shoulder while traveling, put your transmission in Neutral and respond. Do this each time you use the mic and you will be in full compliance with the law." I didn't read "stopped on the shoulder". Could you imagine?

5. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, I don't live in Illinois but welcome to the Chicago way of politics. Like most politics, this is simply an opportunity to increase tax receipts. As Rahm Emanuel says, never waste a disaster (or something like that).

I suggest everyone reading this that lives in Illinois, copy this page (not the link) paste it in its entirety in an email and send it to the governor of Illinois so he can see the outrage.

K2WH

6. G4LHT

G4LHT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am for the part of prohibiting phone usage while driving as I have seen the consequences. In the UK hams are exempt, but my understanding is that the police can still pull you if they consider you to be driving without "Due care and attention".

So in Illinois if the police officer spot's you he will get on his radio and report you, hmm and how would the police deal with all the truck drivers on their 2 way radio equipment, seems that this has not been thought all the way through.

Regards
    Damian

7. W6ZKH

W6ZKH Ham Member QRZ Page

You might add Commiefornia to that list of states whom dont honor other CCW permits... I think Wisconsin doesnt either, much less New York State.... havent looked at my CCW list in a week or so, so could have changed by now.
    John W6ZKH

8. KC0KP

KC0KP Ham Member QRZ Page

Statistics do not bear that out. Police, paramedics and fire command personell do not have a statistically worse driving record than average citizens. This is in spite of the fact that they now not only have radios they MUST use in their cars they now have mobile data terminals they have to keep track of. Any accident involving a distracted emergency responder is front page news around my neck of the woods and there has only been one I can recall in the past 5 years. It involved an MDT reading police officer hitting a parked car.
    Fire trucks are an exception as there is always a second person in the rig to handle the radio and MDT. In our fire apparatus, the engineer cannot even reach the radio.
    They cannot claim that these people are trained to drive and use this equipment safely as, at least in the fire service, there are no NFPA, NWCG, NIMS, or any other other alphabet soup organization accredited training course for two way radio usage.
    Craig
    COML, COMT, FF2, wildland FF1

9. WA9YNJ

WA9YNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The People's Republic of Illinois comes through, again...
    One would expect this, from our combrade rulers who tend to end their careers in prison...

10. N8JWB

N8JWB Ham Member QRZ Page

No surprise here, they also say bible study with a friend in your home is illegal because it makes you a church and that violates their zoning laws. Illinois is the new Wiermar Republic.

We need to fight this tooth and nail.

11. W9EHQ

W9EHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that the use of hand held cell phones, texting, Ipads, Ipods, whatever....should be banned while driving. Most of the people operating these devices while driving are on another planet! But including ham radio mobile operations in the proposed bills is like saying "the fox killed the chickens, so lets kill the pig because he saw the fox do it". The politicians that dreamed up these bills need to study the ergonomics of different electronic divices in use while driving. Everyone, please contact these short sighted wanna do gooders and educate them. Remember, this would not only affect Illinois hams but any ham driving through Illinois. 73 de W9EHQ

12. W4FBL

W4FBL Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally understand why Illinios would do this. It is Obama country and he is wanting to control everything.
    I can see taking away cell phones away from people texting as a girl just about side swiped me the other day while she was so busy texting. What they don't understand is when all this electronic age comes to an end very soon Ham radio is going to be the only communication. All I can see is that they did is now keep a lot of people out of that state. being a ham now I will never drive through that state

13. W4FBL

W4FBL Ham Member QRZ Page

NY state has a pass for Hams. I have the copy of the NY state statue co carry in my truck that gives me the right if I get stopped to show the officer and they can't stop me from using my radio

14. K9ZU

K9ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

That is abject bull####.
    Any /m cw op that I know, self included, can parallel park and manage sending at the same time.

Of course, there are other extenuating factors, like trained multi-tasking:
    FAA pilot's license, summer job driving a city bus, general competence...

Unless you actually have the chops to do /m cw, don't assume others might be limited to your prejudicial views.

P.S. Fifty-one licensed years and counting.
    (I do have sense enough not to try /m cw on my bike.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  15. VA3JMK

VA3JMK Ham Member QRZ Page

In Ontario we have a similar "use of electronic devices" law. Although now they are talking about going after eating or drink (no that kind of drinking) while driving. There are exemptions and believe Amateur radio is covered.

Here is a scenario for you. 3:00 AM I am jolted awake buy a loud buzzer. Climb into my gear. Climb into a 68,000 pound truck and head off into the blinding snow storm. Now here is the best part. Using the VHF radio for updates and replies. At the same time reading the on board map system and receiving Pre-plan info over the screen.

For some reason I don't think having a QSO is more distracting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.