ad: cq2k-1

Proposed Illinois Legislation Would Ban Licensed Amateur Radio Ops From Mobile use

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC2FO, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7WET

W7WET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really don't see this as a problem that a few well placed $$ can't handle. Come on this is Illinois, the most corrupt state in the union bar none. What is the cost of a vote in the lower house right now? What $3K, no likely less for a BS issue like this. So AARL lets dive into the petty cash fund and take care of this.
    Don't yell at me, you know I am right.

2. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I think it's a grand idea. I wish more states followed with similar laws/regulations. It iritates me to no end when I hear hams comment about how little using ham radio affects
    their driving. Another post by an EMT sayhing he never "processed an accident" involving use of a microphone.. I didnt know that that was part of an EMT's job description.
    How can a ham endorse a law against driving while using a cell phone and be against one agaINST using a ham rig while driving? If there are going to be laws agains one
    "electronic communications device" it should be all inclusive. You want to chat on your ham radios pull over or sit in the passenger seat and let somebody else drive
    while you chat.. I dont want to hear the cry about this interfereing with emergency communications either.. I have yet to hear of any ham communications that involved
    an emergency that couldnt have been done pulled over out of traffics way.

NI7I
    IBTL (missed the last 4 or 5)

3. KA0MEK

KA0MEK Ham Member QRZ Page

bad idea most hams r very good drivers be4 long they will ban everything in cars if they do ban hams from mobile operations then they had better also ban other emergency op from cars this includes police fire etc .& that's will not work
    now I can c if they r trying to change bands (some of the new mobiles r not user friendly ) just another liberal idea to make roads safer in my opion
    ka0mek

4. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like at least once-a-year, some State is putting in place or upgrading a mobile/phone law.

Why don't we just have one Federal Law that covers this issue? Seems that the issues covered in these Bills, amendments, etc. are similar enough that a Federal baseline could be made that would be satisfactory to all States. Not that a government body needs anyone's permission to do just about anything now-a-days!

Then we can have an inclusive (instead of amending existing verbiage) get-out-of-jail-free card for emergency ops, hams, taxis, etc.

The States can always make it more stringent (but not less) than the Federal law, if they want to tailor a specific need.

5. NI7I

NI7I Guest

How do you figure that most hams are very good drivers.? That's almost as silly as saying that most hams can drive distracted with no problems.

6. KM3N

KM3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe we should ban beer on a sailboat?

7. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems reasonable

9. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Ham Member QRZ Page

I came across a study from:
    Norwegian Ministry of Transport and Communications
    The Research Council of Norway
    Prosjekt: 3090 - Høyrisikogrupper og Project:
    : Key words: Crash risk
    Distraction
    Illness
    Road safety
    Road user behaviour
    Sleepiness
    Young driver
    The programme has lasted from 2005 to 2010 and has
    comprised: 1) statistical analyses of involvement in fatal crashes,
    2) a comprehensive survey among crash-involved drivers
    regarding mobile telephone use and other distractions,
    sleepiness, health problems, and medicine consumption, 3)
    analyses of reports from the crash investigation teams of the
    Norwegian Public Roads Administration, and 4) estimation of
    contributions of different risk factors to total number of road
    crashes. The factors that contribute most to the number of
    serious crashes are speeding, vulnerable road users, non-use of
    seatbelts, young male car drivers, heavy vehicles, driving under
    the influence, illness, and age over 75 years. There are
    substantial contributions from several additional factors, e.g.,
    distraction and sleepiness.
    Sammendrag: Summary:
    Language of report: Norwegian
    Copyright © Transportøkonomisk Institutt
    link to the report: http://www.toi.no/getfile.php/Publi...rter/2011/1131-2011/1131-2011-elektronisk.pdf

<big><big>Here is a summary of the research with the danger rate in %.
    As you see, cell phone is ranked at the bottom.</big></big>

Speed ​​over the speed limit: 23
    Non-use of seat belt (drivers): 14.6
    Chat with passenger: 6.1
    Violation of driving and rest time regulations: 3.8
    Traffic Violations in general: 6.1
    Fatigue while driving: 4.5
    Violation of giving way at intersections: 3.8
    Non-use of seat belts (passenger): 3.6
    Children in the back seat: 3.0
    Violation of the yield to pedestrians in crossings: 2.6
    Running a red light: 1.9
    Searching for a street name or house number: 1.2
    Operating the audio system: 1.1
    Illegal overtaking: 1.0
    Operation of Radio: 0.6
    Use of mobile phones while driving: 0.6

Object falling in the car: 0.6
    The figures indicate the risk contributions. The risk contribution is the sum of how dangerous it is relative, put together with how often it happens.
    This report is a summary of the research has been carried out in the strategic institute program "High-risk behavior and high-risk groups in traffic" at the Institute of Transport Economics in the period 2005-2010.

<big>Newspaper Aftenbladet story about the report translated (robot translation).</big>
    http://www.aftenbladet.no/nytte/bil/Farligere--snakke-med-passasjer-enn-i-mobil-2877565.html

Dangerous to talk to the passenger than the mobile

The biggest distraction factor for accidents conversation with passengers.

OFF: hilde moi
    Published: 10 September 2011 (4:23 p.m.) Updated: October 11, 2011 (0:03)

- Firstly, it can lead to taking his eyes off the road, you tend to turn their eyes towards the person you are talking to. Sometimes one is so concentrated in the conversation that you do not have tanks with them in traffic. We view not quickly NOK what happens, and it is NOK explanation that this leads to accidents, says Fridulv Sagberg, research director at the Institute of Transport Economics.
    Children and exploration

In addition, it is distracting to children in the back, searching for street names or house numbers and operating the music system. It shows a summary of the research has been carried out in the strategic institute program "High-risk behavior and high-risk groups in traffic" at the Institute of Transport Economics. Distraction is recorded in a survey conducted in 2009.

Two factors that can be very dangerous is billboards or posters and objects from falling into the car, but this happens relatively rarely and is therefore considered to be less dangerous.

Read the full report here! (External link)

it is important that people are aware that you need full concentration to drive safely
    - Surprising

Talking to passengers is a riskiobidrag of six per cent of the accidents, while the use of mobile phone only has a riskiobidrag of 0.6 percent of the accidents. The risk contribution is the sum of how dangerous it is relative, put together with how often it happens. For example, the relative risk of accidents in connection with billboards along the road great, but it is rare such accidents, because there are few billboards along the road.

Sagbert find it interesting that passengers turn out stronger than the mobile phone.

- I have to NOK say that this is surprising, for I had expected that there would be less dangerous than cell phone because passengers can adapt to the traffic better than the other end of the phone, says Sagberg.

- Is the focus on mobile use a boom?

- It's hard to say, for most surveys indicate that there are increased risks of mobile use as well. The latest studies show that there is less danger of mobile use. It can mean that people adjust driving when they know that it is dangerous or that people have learned a little when it comes to the dangers of mobile use, 'he says.

- Encourage your people to drive alone or not talking in the car?

- It is difficult to provide such advice, but it is important that people are aware that you need full concentration to drive safely. One must look at the road, have your hands on the wheel and the tanks in traffic. Especially children in the back seat can be disruptive, he said.
    Text Messages

Sagberg says people should not to engage in something that has not directly driving to do.

- You should not stop if you need to eat, look for street names, pick up anything that falls on the floor or if the kids in the back seat is troubled, says Sagberg, as do people multitask in traffic.

- Yes, there is a tendency to it. If traffic is straightforward and driving on a long drive with little traffic, I think that one can manage to do quite a lot of other things as well. But it does mean that you have reduced contingency in case something happens.

- What about text messages?

- Subtitles in the car was something that did not occur earlier. There are American studies that show that it is enormously high risks associated with sending text messages in the car. There is something quite different than talking on the phone, he says.

- I think there is a tendency for people text while driving a car. It is absolutely pointless. The same applies to surf the net, it requires so much attention that one might forget that you are sitting and driving. The driving is perceived as an easy and simple task, this is obviously a problem and it is clear that this will cause the accidents, he said.

Before it said "do not disturb the driver" in the buses. We could have taken up again.
    Parties in the car

- Young people who have been to a party and have drunk people in the car told us that they are surprised at how much attention it takes the passengers sitting closest to the parties in the car. I think it's important to think of this when a passenger. Before it said "do not disturb the driver" in the buses. We could have taken up again. And I think it is important not to go into the complex and heavy conversations in the car, says Ingrid Lea Maeland, head of Road Safety Rogaland.

She says she is surprised that the conversation with fellow is so dangerous, and says it should be used as an eye-opener.

- We see that a lot of accidents happen because of distractions. It is not only looking, but also mental presence that reflected, she says.
    Mobile Phone Use

A study by the Institute of Transport Economics in 2008 shows that there is little difference between using hand-held and hands-free. This means that the distraction is primarily cognitive, and motor. People still run later when the mobile phone in hand, which can be explained as a behavioral change, the report said.

However, the use of handheld cell phone in the car is still illegal. During an inspection on the E39 on Tjensvoll in Stavanger on Monday it was issued 16 spot fines for handheld mobile phone.

10. W9KVR

W9KVR Ham Member QRZ Page

O.K.

Time to throw my hat into the ring. Living in East-Central Illinois, this will seriously affect us. First, on a rural community, many of our farmers use radios for communication while.hauling grain to elevators and other ag endeavors. Secondly, this would affect local SKYWARN ops as they provide valuable info to the NWS and local emergency management. This has proven time and time again in helping save lives. Thirdly, as mentioned by others, are EMS exempt? By the letter of the law...no.
    Welcome to Illinois politics. We have a very signature happy governor, who often signs without looking at the long term ramifications. My two cents.

11. W4UVR

W4UVR Guest

Hopefully,so can you. Come on is two words,not one.

12. AC7DX

AC7DX Guest

KT7DAD......Thats Norway....................If your going to write that much..how about it being about the USA where this is originating??
    Tnx

13. N1LAJ

N1LAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

band radios?, passengers, cd's, mp3's, what is next, the car itself?

14. K7LER

K7LER Ham Member QRZ Page

Distracted driving is distracted driving no matter how you look at it. A distraction, regardless of origin simply can kill.

You have to look at how each distraction rates in terms of level of distraction. A rating system if you will.

- Listening to radio
    - Talking with passengers
    - Kids in back seat
    - Adjusting GPS
    - Eating while driving
    - Talking on cell phone with a hands free
    - Talking on cell phone holding it in hand
    - Texting while driving
    - Talking on amateur radio
    - CW on amateur radio
    - etc, etc etc

Texting is just plain bad news in a lot of peoples opinion. Using a cell phone without a hands free device is not good either.

While still a distraction, amateur radio under VOX to me would be the same as cell with hands free. As long as both hands can be on the wheel, then either should be treated the same.

Driving a school bus / transit / etc... that's a tough one. Realistically, they should have hands free too, but the agencies probably won't shell out the $ there.

15. N9WKU

N9WKU Ham Member QRZ Page

I fully agree with you but this I have found interesting Most Public safety vehicles have laptops in them for communication use (i know I have put them in) and have found several times sitting at a stoplight look over and the officer is looking at his laptop instead of his driving ... makes me wonder WAS HE DOING THIS WHILE HE WAS DRIVING?????
    on another note most hams are smart enough to drop a mic and grab a steering wheel .......... MOST people .... Oh I might break my phone if I drop it so Ill hold on to it and scream as I try do drive around this that and the other with one hand while talking to who knows who on the other end....

ok so not every one is this bad but I have noticed that most people that drive like that tend to have ROAD RAGE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.