ad: CQMM-1

POTA portable in the rain - Yorkshire UK

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by 2E0HXS, Oct 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 2E0HXS

2E0HXS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

POTA activation in the rain, Yorkshire Dales (G-0208)

Last Sunday I activated the Yorkshire Dales, G-0208, on 40m (7MHz). It was a really scenic place to operate. I have uploaded a video to my YouTube channel, Radio Antics showing my station and some QSOs.

I discovered a small stream and thought it would be a great spot to rest a while. I was debating whether to set up a HF station in the rain, something I’d never done before. I made the decision to give it a go and quickly set everything up and tried to keep everything as dry as possible.

The band conditions were good and it was very busy with Scout JOTA stations and lots of Germans taking part in the Work All Germany (WAG) contest. The SuperAntenna MP1 is super easy to set up but I find I do need to run high power (50W) to get good results on SSB.

I worked a lot of Irish and UK stations, one Belgian and one German station. As soon as I got the 10th QSO to finish the activation it started to rain quite heavily. Good timing!

It was really fun and I was in good spirits despite the cold and wet. The only thing to note was that my 857D was quite warm after being in my bag for one hour since there was no fresh air to cool it.

73, 2E0HXS!

MW7OFS and N8RKD like this.