ad: CQMM-1

POTA: Jherica's New G90 Gets Broken In

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, Aug 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, we have a multi day activation coming up soon... time to drag the camper around again!

N4FZ and KC5HWB like this.
  2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Lovely video, great to see a family at play.

KV0N likes this.
  3. M0OXD

M0OXD Ham Member QRZ Page

Daft question but I just got this radio and nothing happens when I short press the vfo knob. Manual says short press to change tuning steps. Also the freq readout doesn’t have any digit selected. What setting do I need to change? Thanks.

4. KE6WYF

KE6WYF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is like taking a trip to another state. Thank you for the little detour for my mind.
    Might I make a suggestion? The video is enjoyable, but I am unable to hear the speech all the time due to the radio hash. When the videographer was standing close by, audio was much easier to copy!

5. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Get one! It's a fun radio and then you too can make a fun video! I made a DX contact to Greece with mine this afternoon, running it on a 12v battery in the back yard. The contact looked at my QRZ page and immediately identified the radio from a photo. The G90 is getting around...

N7BWB and JF1IRQ like this.
  6. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Such a tease! :p Kind of like they do on the news programs sometimes.
    "Our I-Team is working on a special project you won't want to miss...stay tuned!" :rolleyes:

You could put out a silent video....blur the antenna....that would be interesting!
    That would be a tease, too :D

7. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the important information.

JF1IRQ

8. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice! It really is a fun little radio! Jherica is enjoying it!

KC5HWB, KD2TTM, N7BWB and 1 other person like this.
  9. JF1IRQ

I saw the QRZ page.
    That's excellent.
    It is a nice photo. I want to see more.

JF1IRQ

KD2TTM likes this.
  10. KD2TTM

When I'm set up in the back yard again (it's raining today) I'll get some photos of the whole set up.

(I use the Xeigu G90 transceiver powered by a Bioenno LiFePO4 12V 9ah battery which is connected to a Bioenno 28w solar panel and charge controller. The antenna is a SOTAbeams Band Hopper III 1/2-wave linked dipole arranged as in inverted V with the feed point up 7m on a telescoping fiberglass mast.)

Bob

JF1IRQ likes this.
  11. JF1IRQ

I am very much looking forward to your success.
    I really appreciate it.

JF1IRQ

12. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

How much run time do you get with that battery alone with that radio (and at what power level)? I have a 4.5ah 12v Bioenno battery and was wondering if it would be adequate for my typical SOTA activations (1-4hrs) if I get a G90.

Chris

13. KD2TTM

Hi Chris,
    I've never measured the actual available run time, but I'm guessing it's eight hours or more, depending on your duty cycle. If you poke around the 'net, you can find the G90's wattage draw while Rx and while Tx. Estimate your duty cycle, then do some simple math and you'll be close...

I'm guessing that doing a SOTA activation would be a heavier duty cycle than the casual band-surfing I use mine for.

KI4POT likes this.
  14. AG4KN

AG4KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fun Video! Thanks guys!

Regards,
    John

DE AG4KN

K5ATA likes this.
  15. KV0N

KV0N Ham Member QRZ Page

“Even in the heat - he’s drinking coffee” :eek:

Love it! :D