ad: M2Ant-1

Portable Raspberry Pi 4 Amateur Radio Station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Dec 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is my current rasperberry pi 4 portable ham shack setup. This all packs into a Pelican 1040 waterproof case for easy portability into the field. The advantage of using a Raspberry Pi is that you can interface with any tablet or laptop that can use VNC for acessing the devices desktop. Linux for ham radio is very stong with regards to applications, so you will likely have all your bases covered after a little preparing.

NanoVNA (6).jpg

F1APY, WA3YOF, AK3B and 23 others like this.
  2. K1ZBT

K1ZBT Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video!
    Much appreciated thank you!

KI6NAZ likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice job:)

Now tell us about the 3D-printed knob extension on the KX3:)

VE3SSB and KI6NAZ like this.
  4. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, I definately will!

5. AC8WS

AC8WS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice video.... I'm using the same setup and logging into CQRLog for both WSJTX and FLDigi. I was wondering what you are using as logging software? BTW, thanks for the GPS idea. I have a USB GPS that I didn't think to attach. If I am not attached to a hotspot for cellular I am using Adafruit PiRTC (Precise DS3231 Real Time Clock for Raspberry Pi) for time control. GPS is a much better idea!

IMG_1436.jpg

KL7T likes this.
  6. KC5BIE

KC5BIE Ham Member QRZ Page

OH8STN also has great videos on portable operation using a Raspberry Pi, here's one:

KQ6XA likes this.
  7. WE5B

WE5B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video. However, I like to know that my remote activation offers something more than just making contacts. A QSO would be better. Have you tried running JS8CALL? That would be more worthwhile. FT8 to me is just a contact app for folks that do not really want to have a QSO. Don't get me wrong, I love it too. It has its place, just would like more functionality than that if activating in the field.

N7IVS, KG7AV, AZSCIENCE and 1 other person like this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

No real info in the OPs vid. I will stick with OH8STNs. Julians vids are chock full of practical info without the narcissism.
    The problem with Youtube is too many people want to be a star and produce nothing.

K8JHR, ON7IVE, KQ6XA and 1 other person like this.
  9. KF4FVE

KF4FVE Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly, its at exactly the level I need to be informed. Perhaps you desired something more detailed.

I find these 'home expert videos', for the most part, very helpful.

For example, I am installing a piezo pickup on my acoustic guitar today and was not happy with the manu's instructions. On youtube I found 5 installations of the product by 'home experts' and some great tips I hdan't seen before--because I was taught that 'shop' , in high school, was for dummies. Hardly!

The truly useless videos are easy to pick out in just a few seconds.

Also, if you RUN youtube videos as TWICE normal speed on settings, you can easily preview a video and figure whether its helpful for you, usually in less than 20 seconds.

Chip W1YW

K7CCC, KD7HCW, KM4BDH and 11 others like this.
  11. K5MO

K5MO Ham Member QRZ Page

While some youtube videos are better than others, I generally appreciate the time and effort that are put into each of them, and generally learn something from all.

If folks don't like the current content, it would be great for them to spend the time to upload a better one!

John K5MO

N6WH likes this.
  12. K8SNR

K8SNR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the well-illustrated video; helped me to understand the "Pi" concept. Didn't realize it would be so easy to apply to radio. Really need to consider LINUX as my new operating system, too.
    73 Jeffrey K8SNR

N6WH likes this.
  13. WE5B

WE5B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, I am a huge fan of HRCC's videos. He provides very good videos. Just did not cover everything I was expecting this time around. Julian is very thorough and provides great off the grid vids too. I'm a fan of him, as well.

KE7DUX likes this.
  14. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

With the exception of the "unboxing" type videos, I find them useful as well.

To the video producers out there, be mindful of the soundtrack. It can 'impair' all the good work. ;)

15. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While N1MM says Linux and other Operating Systems will not be supported Raspberry Pi 4 is useless as Amateur Radio Station for me.
    And if you add to Raspberry Pi screen and keyboard it would be no difference with casual laptop. No, it would. There will be additional wires...