ad: Schulman-1

Portable Raspberry Pi 4 Amateur Radio Station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Dec 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point. Don't forget Chromebooks. They are very affordable these days, if only more ham software was adapted to it.

I tried an RPi3 for ham use. Not fun. I hear the RPi4 is much better, but I'll wait for the eventual release of an RPi with eMMC memory.

N6MST likes this.
  2. M0MQV

M0MQV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Linux for ham radio is very strong with regards to applications" (???)

Great video, but I am a Linux Newbie trying to use a Pi4 to run my main shack. As far as I can see I have CQRLOG as logging software for Linux and that's pretty much it. CQRLOG is dissapointing. Any links to better Linux Logging software would be greatly appreciated 'cos I'm having trouble finding any...

W4CDO likes this.
  3. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I Have used JS8 Call when I am "Park Portable." No I don't do Parks On the Air and like making contacts using JS8Call , PSK31, and even Thor 22. Used a Linux netbook but now switched to Raspberry PI and VNC from a tablet.

I did do a SOTA once, since the "Hill" MonteSano in AL was next to the Hotel our Rocket Event was staying at in Huntsville. The folks from the west coast said, that's a hill, not a Mountain Hi HI.

I didn't call out SOTA and didn't file any paper work , not my style but it was fun to work from a SOTA, height of antenna is King ;)

4. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep in mind, running from a Li-Iron battery and a 40 Watt fold/flexible solar panel that fits the standard PC backpack size, power is also King. Low power consumption on the PI-3b+ rather than the 4, with a 12 to 5 volt converter that keep the Pi running and the 10" Android tablet all day along with your radio. Need occasional 100 watts? Then use the ft-891 at full power and two of the fold-able 40 watt Mill Spec panels instead of the QRP radio, or a 891 turned down to low power.

My Pi 3b+ can support 2 instances of FLdigi on different modes , and JS8Call all at the same time.

The 4 draws more power but allows it to run browser intensive websites better than the 3B+, but in the field I don't need that and stick to the 3B+ for now.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  5. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the great video (again) very clear and concise.

K1ZBT likes this.
  6. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Rude

KN4SKF, AF7XT, KE7DUX and 3 others like this.
  7. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Best money you can spend. WSJT-X is actually much more robust on a RasbPi than on most laptops. If I start web browsing on a laptop alongside running WSPR, decodes often won't happen. That never happens on the Pi.

Freedom, in its best sense!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    K8XG and K1ZBT like this.
  8. MW1CFN

There is a difference - a big one. WSJT-X on a Pi is much more robust than under a Win laptop. A Windows machine will start skipping decodes on WSPR and other modes if you start web browsing or multi-tasking in some other way. You can be as busy as you like on a Pi, and it will never stop decoding.

Oh, and the other big difference is that a Pi (and the touchscreen I have) runs off 5VDC - condiderably easier to provide when /P or /M, and much more efficient, than the 19VDC typically required by a Win laptop.

K1ZBT likes this.
  9. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My netbook needs 9V DC only, that I easily take from any 12V DC source that power my radio. The thread is about Amateur Radio Station not about Automatic Radio Station.

W7ASA likes this.
  10. MW1CFN

What, like his assertion that, when a new 'Packtenna' broke at 50W after "a few weeks'" use, other than nebulously saying it 'burned up', he didn't show what had actually broken in it (I could assume it was an inappropriate ferrite selection) and deemed it to be '...an excellent performing end fed half wave antenna.' and 'a keeper'. Very practical, inasmuch as I can disregard his recommendation for that specific product, not least because Packtenna's own web site (accessed 16:33UT today) states:

'all of our HF antennas are rated at 100 watts'
    [sic].

Remember: it may be that there is nothing other than a purely objective asssessment in Julian's and others' reviews. But it is true that some reviews (including some of Julian's) are on the basis of reward in kind (keep the product after review). Others may take cash.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    K1ZBT likes this.
  11. MW1CFN

Here we go again. Words that were never used. Where did 'automatic' get used? Eh? That's right - nowhere. Happy 2020, and however long you have to moan about how things are progressing. I mean, it's not like ham radio is about advancing technology or anything, is it?

K1ZBT likes this.
  12. N5EAL

N5EAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Josh, great video. I'm interested in branching out, trying new things besides sitting here in the Ham Shack.
    You said something about a link, but I didn't see it...
    (I am actually thinking of a setup like you have...compact and everything is a carrying case. Would it be too hard to link the items you used in your setup?) It would be much easier to put together what you have that works! Thanks, Neal

K1ZBT likes this.
  13. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Josh - when are you going to bust out that arrow? I keep listening for you on the birds, but never hear you....

K1ZBT and KI6NAZ like this.
  14. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A longer version that goes into greater detail on setting up the rig can be seen here.
    Introduction To Raspberry Pi For Ham Radio

K1ZBT likes this.
  15. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s on the New Years list for sure!

K1ZBT likes this.