ad: Mountaingoat-1

Portable Ham Radio Camping gear & shelter presentation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you bring 3 dogs none of you will need a phardttsack:D

Never heard of that Austrian sleeping bag-tnx fer the reference. I can attest to how miserable it is to be wearing everything in your ruck and still be shivering all night.

Backpack-I've gone with the https://eberlestock.com/ modular system...so far just the frame. I try to get everything radio into the https://portablezero.com/ avalanche pack.

Keep 'em coming Julian. 73, Hugh

2. AC8UC

AC8UC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Beautiful Intro, nice to see the whole package of being out in the field, with the many options of gear out their for camping, comfort is the key.

K4MID likes this.
  3. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently began doing some portable HF operation on a nearby island surrounding by saltwater. I have found that, while saltwater enhances low-angle radiation using vertical antennas, operating outdoors in a breezy ocean setting enhances my QSO enjoyment considerably as well. Even if propagation is nil, it is often a pleasure in it's own rite to enjoy such a beautiful setting. When I do make a contact I like to describe my surroundings as much as the usual equipment and antenna rundown.

IMG_8005CC.jpg
    Thanks again for another inspiring video, Julian. Portable operating within the beauty of nature is simply fabulous!

Jeff, AJ5J
    Rockport, Texas

K6CLS, US7IGN and K4MID like this.
  4. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good video. Thank you.

5. GOMAD

GOMAD QRZ Member

Simple question from a total newb: I'm about to go boondocking on a permanent basis (nomadic) & want to buy a ham radio for emergency use since I will travel solo. I have an opportunity to buy a "like new" Kenwood TH-25AT personal ham radio 144MHz for $75. Upon research, I've learned that it's a 2 Meter handheld & I know I need to get a license. My question: Since I plan on boondocking as far away from populated area--and mostly in mountain areas, will a 2 metter radio be the best for me. I've seen dual band radios on Amazon (won't buy Baof... brand) for around $100-$200. If I plan on ONLY using the radio in emergency situations--will the Kenwood suffice? It's an antique with output of 0.5-1W

6. WA2LXB

I think you'd be better off with a satellite based device for emergencies. Start here and broaden your research: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html

A dual band HT may be able to hit some VHF and a few UHF repeaters from higher altitude remote locations, but you'll need to know where you are and which repeaters are nearby so you can enter the PL tones, frequencies and offsets. RepeaterBook makes an Android app that allows you to activate your phone's GPS and it will tell you which repeaters are within a radius that you select and which direction and distance the repeater is from you. Get familiar with programming your HT manually.

As far as HF, if you can reach a fellow ham on any frequency and explain that you need help, it's surprising how quickly things can happen. If I were in the outback, I'd take a KX3 and a multiband dipole.

GOMAD, K6MTS and AK5B like this.
  7. GOMAD

GOMAD QRZ Member

Thanks for repying, Julian. I looked into satellite based devices---initial ouput for the device plus monthly subscription costs are out of my budget. Also, I'm assuming that I won't be able to get cell service--so my Verizon phone's GPS won't work. Thus...I ran into a post that mentioned using a HAM radio for off-road boondocking. // I looked up the KX3, and it's expensive, I'll have to wait until I sell my 4Runner. So...in the meantime: For $75, is buying the Kenwood TH-25AT a good deal & usable for ER situation until I can afford the KX3? I'm thinking it's at least something--for now. I can switch out antennas on the handheld & place an antenna on my rig.

8. WA2LXB

Very good...so, if you're going to take your Tech then make sure you get RepeaterBook for Android...not sure if the iPhone has the same app. Make sure the battery in the 25AT is good...it's an old radio.

I'll be blunt; if you can't afford an emergency satellite beacon you should reconsider your solo outback trip until you can. I also hope that unless you're a former Jarhead like Julian, who is trained by Uncle Sam's Misguided Children to stop a polar bear with a toothpick, you should have some self defense options besides pots, pans and screaming.

Be safe, be smart, be prepared.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    AK5B likes this.
  9. GOMAD

GOMAD QRZ Member

Oh, but I do, I do. lol. I've got a Kimber 45 Crimson Carry--just aim the laser and the bullet will go where it's aimed. Also have a Beretta 9mm with laser, a rifle, a shotgun, 2 pitbulls, Bear spray, a bullhorn & a horn that sounds like a donkey bray to keep the coyotes & mountain lions away. Apparently those smaller 4-legged animals are naturally afraid of donkey kicks...so they tend to stay away. I also have an audio recording that plays on a loop for overnight & night-time use. // I DO have a 1-time use emergency satellite beacon, but it doesn't have a receive mode...so if I set it off--I really have no way on knowing whether it was received by ER services. BTW: I'm a female Jarhead! Not afraid of unfriendlies as I can handle myself pretty well. Just afraid that if I have any other type of ER that I'll want to make voice contact with a human, so looking into HAM radios (under $200) for just such an instance. Totally appreciate your being "blunt". I believe there's no better way to communicate. Seriously!

AK5B likes this.
  10. WA2LXB

Ah, another Jarhead...excellent. Former USN here...UBER for the USMC:D

Roger on the self defense...all good.

Another HF option is the Xiegu G90 https://www.radioddity.com/products/xiegu-g90-hf-transceiver

A little more spendy than your limit, but cheaper than the KX3 and a very flexible HF radio. It does need to be kept dry, and you'll want to get your General license for it. Not hard, go here to study...it's free: https://hamstudy.org/

Keep in touch Marine...the USN is here to help:)

Hugh-WA2LXB

AK5B and GOMAD like this.
  11. GOMAD

GOMAD QRZ Member

Thank you, Hugh! I did check out that Ciegu G90. Like it. Again--gonna have to wait. I've spent so much money on going off-grid materials: solar panels, solar charger, 100aH Lithium battery, genny, 2x 55 gallon water containers...and the list goes on. So, until I sell my 4Runner, I simply can't aford to put out $500 on a top tier Ham system, right now. But, I def will by Christmas. In the meantime...I'm taking some short 2-3 day dry runs before pulling out permanently. So again I ask my initial question: Should I just go ahead and buy the Kenwood TH-25AT (it's in immaculate condition & has new battery---see image below). I'd rather have a HT to take with me on these short dry runs. For $75, it seems like a good deal (?). I can buy a new dual band on Amazon for about $115. Perhaps I should do that instead? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VSNWYYX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_16?smid=AJVLD9QL76QMK&psc=1
    Kenwood TH-25AT.jpg

12. WA2LXB

I think that the new HT is the way to go. You can spend way less than Amazon at either https://www.dxengineering.com/searc...R&sortby=BestKeywordMatch&sortorder=Ascending or at Ham Radio Outlet. $85 bucks vs $104.

DX Engineering gives you reviews that may give you further information.

The TH-25AT was a great radio in its day if you read the reviews at eham, but it's past its prime and even with a new battery something else may fail...i.e., the PTT switch, the backlight, the antenna connector, etc.

GOMAD likes this.
  13. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

No. Need something with 5w.

Something made this century.

Don't bother trying to save some small amount of £.

WA2LXB, GOMAD and AK5B like this.
  14. GOMAD

GOMAD QRZ Member

Thanks, Hugh---- YOU'RE THE BESTEST!

15. WA2LXB

You are welcome. Good luck with the off grid transition. Always honor the Oath, always happy to assist a Marine.