ad: k1jek

Politico Article Raises Concerns of Amateur Radio Parity Act

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

To get on the air, you can use one of several options that your HOA has no say about.

2. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

OR you can be An Agent Of Change...and get that Constitutional UPGRADE like we did!

N5PZJ and KC8VWM like this.
  3. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Why won't you take The Test? Are you afraid?

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

"Nothing to fear, but fear itself."

W8LV likes this.
  5. KC8VWM

What? Hide in the shadows and skulk around fearing you are going to get caught with your "illegal" outside antenna one day?

No thanks. I don't live in Russia where I have to hide my radio operating activities from the "authorities" in order to enjoy operating amateur radio.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    W8LV likes this.
  6. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

You took The Test! Everybody did but that Washington State Guy. I guess it's either too hard for him, or he's afraid to step up to the Plate, (Dare I Say it) eh?

7. KC8VWM

I know eh?

I don't get it.... Must be afraid of something.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, get government to support your HOBBY while tens of millions of your neighbors have to accept it. And then, if/when the legislation becomes law, you find out how minimal the "reasonable" antenna your HOA has approved.

Meanwhile, anyone can use mobile, portable, and/or remote stations (that often work VERY well). LOTS of people do that. Just ask Charles KC8VWM (one of the ardent legislation followers)... who apparently operates portable A LOT.
    I've already said why... multiple times on multiple venues. Once AGAIN:

Any "test" you dream up is rhetorical (not meant to actually be answered). IMO, it is presented only as sarcasm and a put-down.

I will assume further "requests" serve only as troll posts, meant only to antagonize or demean. Stop it.
    AGAIN, hardly. Repeated obfuscation and personal insult.

9. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Such Sour Grapes! Everybody else took the test. You're being like Mikey in the Cereal Ad.

"Yes, get government to support your HOBBY while tens of millions of your neighbors have to accept it."

Accept what? That they have to mind their own business?

YES. That's EXACTLY it !

If you took the test, you'd gain some insight there. Might even understand where we are coming from.

A LOT of thought was put into The Test, that's all I'm saying here. And it is Free.

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

But you labeling legitimate questions "absurd and full of fallacies" does? :rolleyes:

11. K1VSK

Please elaborate - "everybody"? See - dishonest.

12. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My case is rested your honor, here is the prime example of Norwegian Bridge Tender Syndrome.

13. K1VSK

Unfortunately, this isn't true as the language in the Bill states specifically that you will be required to "notify and seek approval" of your current antenna.
    Further, it's rather naive to think any HOA will transform their aesthetic standards simply because of this. Rather,it is far more likely they will simply write prescriptive rules making it more onerous or at best equally limiting. And if you live in a condo, nothing changes as common areas are excluded entirely.
    Your perceptions demonstrate only that the League is good at selling 'coolaid'.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  14. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's kind of alarming, that apparently many of the proponents of the CAI version of ARPA have not actually read it! They seem to be operating under some vague memory of an earlier ARRL version of the bill from several years ago. Shouldn't everyone by now realize that this is NOT the old ARRL PRB-1 for HOAs version of ARPA, but a version that was worked over by the Community Association Institute to their benefit. The "compromise" consisted of ARRL giving up "reasonable accommodation" for "an effective outdoor antenna", and the CAI getting everything they wanted.

It's even bizarre and weird, that when actually language of the bill is quoted verbatim, it is referred to as a "red herring" !

Anyway this has been going in circles for over a year. Everyone is entrenched now.

15. KB6E

KB6E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's interesting how we look at the same thing and see it totally differently.

To me, "reasonable accommodation" is open to highly, highly subjective interpretation, while "an effective outdoor antenna" is definitely not subjective. It doesn't say "an effective outdoor antenna for 70 cm".

We wouldn't be able to put up a tower, but under ARPA there is absolutely no way my HOA would be able to block me from using an end fed to a tree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.