ad: portazero-1

Please Respect the Frequencies for SSTV and QRP

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by CT2KFQ, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, if you say so....

Well, I'm glad you patted yourself on the back. Unfortunately you are only partially correct. There are segments and modes specified by LAW. Of course as an Amateur Extra you SHOULD know that. Right? It WAS on the test. Perhaps you have forgotten?

Some suggestions, some laws. They are there to make operating in the Ham Bands more orderly and more pleasurable for everyone. Of course some people don't give a rat's (expletive deleted) about order, suggestions, or anyone else's pleasure. And, that's what leads to confusion, frustration, and chaos for everyone. Of course some people LIKE confusion, frustration, and chaos...

It makes perfect sense. You seem to have the same 'outlaw' attitude that the people down there have (and have brought here). The rules, even if informal, and being able to adhere to them is what generally sets Ham Radio apart from CB (at least it did in the past). If you don't like following rules (formal or informal) then 11 meters is the place for YOU. No license required, no rules to follow, and lots of others just like you...

Nope, not at all. Unless you are referring to Ham Radio politics. Trust me, if I were to get 'political' you would know it... But, I bet YOU discuss politics OTA often. And, probably just to get people angry too... You know - like they do down there on that other band where there are no rules, no agreements, and generally no gentlemen either.

Now see, there you go... No one is 'whining' about anything. You are filtering what has been said with that bad attitude and then trying to append the 'whiner' label. You are categorizing people who prefer some 'order' to things as being whiners, as if there is something wrong with having a few rules... There have been informal agreements among Hams for many years on where and what modes to use. They were there LONG before YOU came along. And, most of us try to follow them because they reflect good operating practices, they keep confusion down, and help increase EVERYONE's enjoyment. Why do you have a problem with that? Why do some people have problems with others enjoying themselves? Why are some people NOT happy unless there IS chaos and confusion? Why is it that SOME people can only make themselves feel better by making others feel bad? That's what I'm getting tired of....

Well, I'm glad you can admit it... Now, do something to stop it. You'll feel better and probably live longer too... Fred is pretty tolerant about most everything with a few exception... I doubt you'll get kicked off. But, ignore you? Sorry, I'd rather give you back that dose of arrogance and condescension...

As an Amateur Extra you SHOULD know (and realize) that Ham Radio is all about cooperation, agreements, and gentlemen. If you can't handle that, then perhaps the Ham Bands are not the place for you. Perhaps you are not 'Ham' material....

Dan WQ4G

M1WML and KF5RHI like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Been working SSTV for years very few problems. Yesterday made a few DX contacts and all went smooth.
    As for QRP, it's an occasional fun novelty thing for me would not like a steady diet of it.
    I'm sure there is a segment of the ham population that believes that so long as they are in compliance with the FCC rules and regs they operate on the frequencies available to them and not based on the suggestions of some organization they may not even be a part of. Some may agree some may not thus the comments in this thread (the comments that are on-topic).

M1WML likes this.
  3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

@WQ4G Dan thanks for your considered response and opinions. Unfortunately, you are so far off base about me and my ideas that we will never be able to have a rational discussion. I can see from your response that you are just throwing arguments out to see what sticks. Sorry, OM I'm going to have decline your invitation for an argument.

Have a nice time...

M1WML and N3FAA like this.
  4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt that.... It all boils down to respect and self discipline. Especially respect. And, based on your own comments I can see that you don't have much respect for others.

Ok, no rules, no respect, no self discipline. So next time you get on the radio, just drop in on 14.074 (or maybe 3.573 or 3.578) and start calling CQ (in CW mode) with your KW amp turned on. There shouldn't be any problems with that - right?

I'm just glad that not everyone thinks the same way you do... If they did we would have to start calling it CB radio instead of Ham Radio.

Failure to enforce rules or to maintain discipline (including self discipline) leads to demoralization and penalizes the innocent instead of the guilty....

Dan WQ4G

M1WML likes this.
  5. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

For your reading pleasure....

http://thersgb.org/publications/iar...rational-procedures-for-the-radio-amateur.pdf

The top part of page 5 may be of interest to you.... Especially the first sentence...

WQ4G

M1WML and W7STF like this.
  6. N3PZZ

N3PZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, all these self righteous responses.
    It's no wonder the bands can get screwy.
    I understand where Jose is coming from.
    He's just asking for a little courtesy.
    I don't see why it should be a problem GENTLEMEN....

M1WML, WQ4G, KK9W and 1 other person like this.
  7. M0MUU

M0MUU Ham Member QRZ Page

3 separate points.
    a) what is legal - is different to the use of a band plan. E.g. in UK, Ofcom (legal enforcement) not interested unless one impacts emergency frequencies, commercial satellite, paid/commercial services or (for those who like to live very dangerously) Military use (Amateur only secondary user on many bands, impact military when they want the band and you will have knock on door, or no door, very quick)
    b) the general layout of the band plans and some specific frequencies, was agreed at ITU across the regions, and even though not legal in the "take you to court" sense, is an agreement we are supposed to operate by for the sake of everyone. So it is very good and expected practice to keep to the Band plans and observe the QRP, beacon, satellite, and SSTV frequencies and so on.
    c) Being radio hams (not CB'rs) we are supposed to have good operating practices, be respectful of others and so on - so unless QSO-ing with a QRP station, I would keep off QRP frequencies, unless using SSTV, I would keep off SSTV frequencies and so on.... only where it is "all mode" should be used for all modes. We do not want SSB on 30M etc ....

2E0SWK, M1WML and WQ4G like this.
  8. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I know many CBers that have Superior Operating Practices... a lot less bickering and little or no distain for each other. Unlike Most Hams I know.. lol

M1WML and WQ4G like this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you know any CBers who can spell "disdain?"

K5MO, WR2E, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is a lack of gentlemen.

M1WML, WZ7U, N9LYA and 2 others like this.
  11. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for confirming my opinion of Hams..

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    M1WML likes this.
  12. W7PWP

W7PWP Ham Member QRZ Page

let hams be hams we can not or will not make everyone happy fix the antenna and NICELY let them know if you don,t like the responce ...let it go hell we are human ..for now ...love goes a long ways

M1WML likes this.
  13. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

if they are operating sstv they are NOT using a microphone , sstv doesn't require audio, so they might not be able to comply with your request... just use another freq..its that simple and polite.

14. N2ZD

N2ZD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SSTV uses audio and most ops use their mics to communicate in between SSTV transmissions.

15. K4MIA

K4MIA Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate net stations that come on a freq and say move because we have used the freq for the last 10 years. I work SSTV and stay off 14.230 unless I am on SSTV. Not a requirement but is just a curtsy.