ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Please Respect the Frequencies for SSTV and QRP

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by CT2KFQ, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL's "The Considerate Operator's Frequency Guide" I keep this next to my radio.

The last two times I set up outside, I got ready to call 'CQ' on the 20 meter QRP SSB calling frequency and found full-power guys rag-chewing there for extended periods. It wasn't a contest weekend or anything and there were plenty of unused frequencies they could have been using...

M1WML, WQ4G, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No doubt, but that is the same thing you hopefully did: find another place to call CQ. Your statement could go either way. The problem is that not everyone knows all the "reserved / special" frequencies and even if they did, the considerate operators guide is only a gentle guide, not a regulation.

M1WML likes this.
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not an "AMer" or even a fan of the mode, but,.....................
    I was listening to an ongoing round table conversation yesterday on 3885 (AM).

the Collins net people tried to QRM the freq.

M1WML likes this.
  4. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes... either way: considerate or inconsiderate.

M1WML and WQ4G like this.
  5. N9CJT

N9CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

I too would appreciate it if people followed the established band plans. It gives opportunity for many different preferences and practices and helps grow a sense of community among like-minded hams. Of course, it also presumes that hams care enough to read the band plan and are willing to be respectful of others.

6. N9CJT

N9CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  7. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn't you say you tried to notify them but your antenna is bad. How did you try to call them? SSTV? Or did you use voice to try and contact them? OMG hope you did not use voice. That would have been terrible.

M1WML and K2AMF like this.
  8. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Something that seems to be in short supply now days...

WQ4G

M1WML and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  9. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Ham Member QRZ Page

What’s particular fun with that net is that someone picked a frequency that overlaps the two windowed frequencies. AM roughly is 10kHz wide plus or minus, thus 3.875 and 3.885 as the typical common centers in use. That net chose 3.880 to overlap both.

I’m never sure if people think this will attract more checkins or if they just believe they are the center of the universe.

When this went on the other day 3.875 was completely free and there was an ongoing group on 3.885.

A thing to understand is that if you just spent one week on the air with an AM rig you would know this for sure and here the Collins group are many extras and long time ops...mistake? I doubt it. Why then? People just ruin things as a mission.

M1WML likes this.
  10. N6YMK

N6YMK Ham Member QRZ Page

Through the entire month of August.
    (JASTA asks that participants use an alternate frequency, such as 14.330 . Doesn't stop the contesters from camping out on 14.230, though)

M1WML likes this.
  11. N6YMK

N6YMK Ham Member QRZ Page

21345 and 28680 should come back as the bands improve with the sunspot cycle...

I've been running a few tests on 3845. No QSO's (yet), just trying to pick up my own signal on the KFS and Utah WebSDRs. Works pretty good for a 10-20 watt signal from Southern California.

If I get a chance (and no one's on the frequency!) I'll send a few pics around 0000-0100Z and/or at 0500-0600Z. Either 3845 or 7171, though the last frequency is often too busy.

VK6APZ/SK2022, M1WML and KY1K like this.
  12. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

What an arrogant and condescending comment...

You are correct... No one can lay claim to any frequency and there are no 'hard and fast rules' about where to operate or modes to use (well actually there are a few).

However, a few rules and agreements, even if they are not 'formal,' is what makes operating in the Ham Bands a lot more pleasurable for EVERYONE. The rules give some order to the chaos and it's what sets us Amateur Radio Operators apart from our 'outlaw' counterparts up (or down depending on your perspective) in that OTHER band. It's why a lot of us came here - to get away from the lawlessness and chaos... To get away from THOSE PEOPLE!

But, it is obvious to me that some operators (people) have a difficult time with 'rules' or 'law and order.' If gentlemen's agreements and the rules are so difficult to follow perhaps you would feel more comfortable down on that other band.

IMO it is this attitude, of not wanting to follow the rules and laws, that is causing so many societal issues now days... What these people are really saying to the rest of is that - YOU CAN'T MAKE ME! That - no matter what - you can't make me follow your rules and agreements.

From a rather famous movie scene:

Dan WQ4G

M1WML likes this.
  13. WG7X

Dan @WQ4G... Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, you're bouncing around a bit here.

I may be arrogant and condescending, but I am correct, you said so yourself...

Band plans do not usually have the force of law, they're usually just suggestions. Some folks do indeed have problems with regulations, but I don't.

Throwing in a gratuitous CB dig is does not even make sense... But whatever...

..And then you get a bit political...

So, let me say this to you Dan: people coming here and whining about infringements on some special slice of bandwidth and expecting anything to be done about it are just spitting in the wind, and I for am getting a bit tired of them coming here and telling us (the general ham community) to avoid their own special bit of turf. This is akin to the 75 meter net wars of the past and it needs to stop.

Arrogant and condescending? Yeah, probably but I can do that up to the point where Fred kicks me off the site. You are free to ignore me, I won't mind.

M1WML and N3FAA like this.
  14. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I take it that you are not aware of the current arrl proposal to give certain automated stations there own slice of OUR RF spectrum. Where you MUST use only the arrl approved mode.

M1WML likes this.
  15. WG7X

@ND6M : Your take is incorrect. I am fully aware of this latest spectrum grab for things like WINLINK. Note that I did not specify WINLINK, just that and others like it.

I can read the news with the best of them, thanks!

M1WML likes this.