ad: Alphaant-1

Please Respect the Frequencies for SSTV and QRP

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by CT2KFQ, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL's "The Considerate Operator's Frequency Guide" I keep this next to my radio.

The last two times I set up outside, I got ready to call 'CQ' on the 20 meter QRP SSB calling frequency and found full-power guys rag-chewing there for extended periods. It wasn't a contest weekend or anything and there were plenty of unused frequencies they could have been using...

K0UO, WD4ELG and AJ6KZ like this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No doubt, but that is the same thing you hopefully did: find another place to call CQ. Your statement could go either way. The problem is that not everyone knows all the "reserved / special" frequencies and even if they did, the considerate operators guide is only a gentle guide, not a regulation.

3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not an "AMer" or even a fan of the mode, but,.....................
    I was listening to an ongoing round table conversation yesterday on 3885 (AM).

the Collins net people tried to QRM the freq.

4. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes... either way: considerate or inconsiderate.

5. N9CJT

N9CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

I too would appreciate it if people followed the established band plans. It gives opportunity for many different preferences and practices and helps grow a sense of community among like-minded hams. Of course, it also presumes that hams care enough to read the band plan and are willing to be respectful of others.

WQ4G and N2ZD like this.
  6. N9CJT

N9CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Didn't you say you tried to notify them but your antenna is bad. How did you try to call them? SSTV? Or did you use voice to try and contact them? OMG hope you did not use voice. That would have been terrible.

K2AMF likes this.
  8. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Something that seems to be in short supply now days...

WQ4G

9. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What’s particular fun with that net is that someone picked a frequency that overlaps the two windowed frequencies. AM roughly is 10kHz wide plus or minus, thus 3.875 and 3.885 as the typical common centers in use. That net chose 3.880 to overlap both.

I’m never sure if people think this will attract more checkins or if they just believe they are the center of the universe.

When this went on the other day 3.875 was completely free and there was an ongoing group on 3.885.

A thing to understand is that if you just spent one week on the air with an AM rig you would know this for sure and here the Collins group are many extras and long time ops...mistake? I doubt it. Why then? People just ruin things as a mission.

10. N6YMK

N6YMK Ham Member QRZ Page

Through the entire month of August.
    (JASTA asks that participants use an alternate frequency, such as 14.330 . Doesn't stop the contesters from camping out on 14.230, though)