ad: ProAudio-1

One of the TOP 25 Most Influential Women Is A Ham AC2SN !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, May 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes she was....and it was a great honor to meet you there too!

3. AG6IF/SK2024

AG6IF/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats!! you are an inspiration! 73 de AG6IF Jim-long time customer.

KA8SYV likes this.
  4. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

I watch their show on Youtube each week.

KM4NOW likes this.
  5. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe she will setup a station at the factory and get on the air sometime. They have video tours of the factory
    all the time on Youtube and maybe will see a station in the future. She is a very smart designer of all things electronic
    and cool and her husband is cool video design and marketing person too. I think they make a great team.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to expand a bit here as there is some history: I was here teacher.

First, Limor was a student of mine at Boston University. She transferred to MIT, later , (her father was a professor at BU). She had a previous callsign: N1UEO (tech) long since expired.

Obviously she did well in class, which was calculus. She was frustrated that others weren't at her level, and we had many conversations along that line, to convince her to stay the course. She loved to fiddle with circuits even then--more than 20 years ago.

I do remember Limor. She was a very bright person placed in a very confining box at BU. I am very glad she was able to turn this around at MIT and since.

Limor used to dress 'goth' at BU, and did do 'colored highlights'. I do recall a couple of students picking on her in class--and I kicked them out.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    EI8DRB, AE9AM, KV6O and 4 others like this.
  7. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good for you for not putting up with that nonsense. It would be pretty funny if they could see the "weird goth girl" now. How she used her brain and hard work to become much more successful than they likely did. Just a reminder that you can't always judge a book by it's cover.

K9AIX likes this.
  8. KD4BEE

KD4BEE Ham Member QRZ Page

She looks like a fine catch for someone, but it looks like they left the hook in...

AK5B likes this.
  9. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

Just out of curiosity, how long would the boom be on a 40 meter fractal antenna? How long is the longest element?

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Metamaterials in this context. No elements except driven.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Now THIS is funny! From Limor's website--

What the hell is a 'Dean of Conflict Resolution'---whatta buncha politically correct crap (IMHO)!

Art not associated with engineering...guess I better drop using fractals!!!

Ms. Fried --

Not having any input from you about the incident on Dec. 5th, in
    spite of repeated efforts to meet with you, I have to make a decision
    in this matter based solely on the Campus Police report.

Your "art project," a black metal box with wires protruding from it,
    was discovered by the Campus Police attached to a girder in East
    Garage in the early morning hours of December 5, 2002. A note
    attached to it described as a Course 6 EE art project, a questionable
    claim as art is not usually associated with electrical engineering.
    The Campus Police tried to contact you at the email address on the
    note but, receiving no answer, removed it from public view, to
    prevent panic by anyone who might have thought it was a bomb.

It appears that you either disregarded the likelihood that someone
    might be frightened thinking it was a bomb or you intended to cause
    that reaction. That is not acceptable behavior at MIT. It is
    fortunate that the Campus Police discovered and removed it before
    that could happen, but that good fortune does not exonerate you.

Accordingly, I am issuing this written warning to you. You have a
    disciplinary record as a result of this incident for one semester.
    If you have no further incidents between now and next June, then your
    record will be expunged.

I am willing to reconsider this decision if you come and talk to me.

Carol Orme-Johnson
    Assistant Dean for Student Conflict Resolution & Discipline
    Director of Mediation@MIT
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    E32-133
    617-258-8423

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    EI8DRB and WF9Q like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what the "Dean of Conflict Resolution' did after leaving MIT....Put those 'conflict resolution' attributes to work! Save the world! IMO. Yours may differ.

========================================================

Cambridge resident Orme-Johnson joins Peace Corps

Carol Orme-Johnson, 61, of Cambridge has been accepted into the Peace Corps. She will depart for Azerbaijan Sept. 29 to begin pre-service training as a community economic development Peace Corps volunteer. Upon graduation from volunteer training in December, she will help develop sustainable economic strategies for residents in her neighborhood

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally,

Let me remind everyone that Limor is a big advocate of 'open source hardware'. That means 'no patents' and 'no regulation'.

The extreme example of the latter is a cell phone jammer, which she advocates.

So let me be public on this from one of your professors--

"Limor, for many years I did work on counter IED systems, saving US lives with 'jammers'. In my 62 years, getting thanked for doing this by Marines is one of the highlights of my existence. I was proud to do it.

The reason we don't want 'open source jammers' in the homeland is not because the FCC says we cant have them. but because they can be used to stop communications by public safety personnel during terrorist attacks. Is that OK? Well, its the reality.
    We live in a very dangerous world where some people want to condemn you as a women, make you a man's property, and destroy your rights and creativity. To prevent that, we have to give up some minor personal rights, and that trickles down to apparently silly things, like NOT creating a 'jamming bubble' using pocket jammers.

Limor, during the terrorist attack in the Boston Marathon, the cell phone lines went down. You may speculate, if you wish, that it was overload. Fine. But imagine what pocket jammers would do in a crowd during an 'event'. Imagine the pain. fright, and chaos that would result before our eyes when people would be blocked from communicating, from knowing what's happening, from getting aid.

Freedom is a balancing act and I am afraid that in this case, freedom needs this minor restriction. If you don't want someone to use a phone next to you, the logical option is to move. I know that sounds simplistic, but its a realistic suggestion. And using a jammer is a federal crime. which the people have not opted to rescind as the highest law of the land.

They could do so at anytime. But have not. You have to accept that.

Its not always as simple, IMO, as 'sticking it to the man'."

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Limor's wideband jammer--up to 300milliwatts, which she claims limits it to 20 feet of range. I do not believe that 20 foot estimate is factual and can be, IMO--and my experience working on counter IED-- far greater,

I do not advocate this device for use in the US and remind us that such jamming devices are illegal for very practical reasons.

Link....

http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/index.html

15. N9JRN

N9JRN Ham Member QRZ Page

What about her hair, I love it!

KA8SYV and KI4ODO like this.